• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2013 Grow Log - 2013-09-06 Video Update!

Well here we go again!! I'm finally starting to slow down a bit with work so I can start to concentrate more on growing some peppers. Cannot wait. In the next week or two I will be starting to germinate my seeds. I plan to more than double the plants I had last year. I plan to grow 20 plants in the backyard and 1 ornamental in the front yard. Here is the list of what I'm growing this year:

7 Pot Jonah (from my plants last year, seeds from romy6 previous year) (1)
7 Pot Primo (pepperlover) (1)
7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic (pepperlover) (1)
7 Pot Brown (Nagacanerio) (2)
7 Pot Barrackpore (romy6) (1)
Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Red 7 Pot Brainstrain (Cappy aka PepperRidgeFarm) (1)
Moruga Scorpion Red (romy6 by way of Wayright) (1)
Moruga Scorpion Yellow (can't remember source) (1)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (Butch's Strain) (1)
Naga Morich (from my plants last year, seeds from pepperlover previous year) (1)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (romy6 by way of Waywright) (1)
Red Bhut Jolokia (biscgolf) (1)
Carolina Reaper (HP22B-A) (Ed Currie) (1)
Romy6 Mystery Annuum (romy6) (1)
Scotch Bonnet (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Jalapeno (pepperlover) (1)
Red Bell Pepper (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Sweet Banana (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Jimmy Nardelo (pepperlover) (1)
Numex Twighlight (Baker's Peppers) (1) (will go in front yard to add some color to our landscaping)

I'm going to go soilless this year for my growing medium. I will be using peat, dolomite lime, and perlite. To feed I will use Dyna-Gro. Last year I was all over the place in the mixes I used and ferts, so hopefully some consistency this year will yield better results. Not complaining about my yield from last year (except for mold issues in pods), but I can always aim higher right?

I'm going to try to get on here more often now that I have a bit more time, so hopefully I'll be able to get caught up with everybody. Hope everyone has an excellent grow in 2013!

Oh yeah, if anybody has any advice on the ratio of lime to peat I should use, it would be greatly appreciated. It's probably not that simple though I'm guessing. Probably need to invest in a good soil PH tester don't I?

Edit: NM about the lime question. I just re-read my thread on the mix I'm going to be using and Capsicum and queequeg152 gave me good advice on the ratio.
Edit2: Edited to add the seed sources.

Glad to see you on board, Brian! That's a nice hot list you have there.
Good luck getting them into the medium and sprouting!

Great to be back Paul. Thanks for checking in. I gotta get on and see what you've been up to. Sucks, I have a TON of catching up to do. I feel so disconnected. Good luck to you!

Great list Brian and its good to see you back in the growing saddle. Looking forward to your grow

Thanks Pia. Trying to play catch up on 3.5 months worth of missed content. Looked at your glog and looks like you've got a good start going. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

:dance: :dance: :dance: He's alive. I said he's alive :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

We or I have missed yo my brotha!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome back Jamie. I've certainly missed all of you guys too! And of course I'm already envious of your grow. Like I said in your glog, must be nice to be able to start out your 2013 with a fresh harvest! :)

Nice selection of plants Brian. I have yet to decide what all I'm planting this year, but will probably end up with less variety and a few more plants of each.
Are you starting or growing out 1 of each type?
Good Luck with your 2013 grow!

Nice variety selection :lol:

Thanks Vladan!

Interesting medium, I’ll enjoy learning more about it, great list and good luck in 13 :)

I'm interested in seeing how it does too. I used mainly Happy Frog last year, and while it was certainly a good quality product, my bank account didn't really like it too much ;) Also towards the middle of the year I was relying on Dyna Gro to supply the nutrients anyway. So this year I thought, why not save some money and mix my own medium, using a super simple mix that will retain nutes (Dyna Gro) and provide good porosity. So going this route, I can make over 50 gallons of mix for ~$35. And I will just use Dyna Gro throughout the grow to give the nutes (it's a complete formula).

Welcome back to land of spice. I'll be following to see how that soilless mix works out. Sounds pretty cool though. Here's to a great grow,

RM

Thanks RM. It's certainly good to be back. I've missed you guys.

Nice selection of plants Brian. I have yet to decide what all I'm planting this year, but will probably end up with less variety and a few more plants of each.
Are you starting or growing out 1 of each type?
Good Luck with your 2013 grow!

Thanks for stopping in Ryan. I'm going to be starting 5 seeds of each variety in paper towels. Then I will put 3 of each variety in my mix. I will then select the best looking seedling of each variety to grow out. The rest I will give away to friends and family.

So many Glogs to follow. One of these days I need to start mine. I see you are going for the french garden look with all the reds and yellows, wait I think that is french :lol:
Hope you have a great season.

So many Glogs to follow. One of these days I need to start mine. I see you are going for the french garden look with all the reds and yellows, wait I think that is french :lol:
Hope you have a great season.

Daggonit Brian. Now you've made me think I need to add some more browns and maybe a white or two in there. When my wife gets pissed at me for doing more plants, I'm going to blame you! :lol:

Had to come up with a new spot to germinate my seeds this year. I'm still doing the paper towel in the baggie method but the spot I used last year wasn't going to work this time around. So I came up with the idea to use my dehydrator pointed inside a cubby in my desk. The dehydrator is set to 95, but since it is at an angle not all of the warm air stays in. This allows the cubby to stay cooler. It levels out at 84 which is perfect. Going to soak my seeds tonight and tomorrow night I'll put them in their baggies and into the cubby.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1026]

... I'm interested in seeing how it does too. I used mainly Happy Frog last year, and while it was certainly a good quality product, my bank account didn't really like it too much ;) Also towards the middle of the year I was relying on Dyna Gro to supply the nutrients anyway. So this year I thought, why not save some money and mix my own medium, using a super simple mix that will retain nutes (Dyna Gro) and provide good porosity. So going this route, I can make over 50 gallons of mix for ~$35. And I will just use Dyna Gro throughout the grow to give the nutes (it's a complete formula). ...
35 bucks, I'm in :D please post up the mix, I'm up for something new to test against roll your own compost, hehe

Back