• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2013 Grow Log - 2013-09-06 Video Update!

Well here we go again!! I'm finally starting to slow down a bit with work so I can start to concentrate more on growing some peppers. Cannot wait. In the next week or two I will be starting to germinate my seeds. I plan to more than double the plants I had last year. I plan to grow 20 plants in the backyard and 1 ornamental in the front yard. Here is the list of what I'm growing this year:

7 Pot Jonah (from my plants last year, seeds from romy6 previous year) (1)
7 Pot Primo (pepperlover) (1)
7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic (pepperlover) (1)
7 Pot Brown (Nagacanerio) (2)
7 Pot Barrackpore (romy6) (1)
Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Red 7 Pot Brainstrain (Cappy aka PepperRidgeFarm) (1)
Moruga Scorpion Red (romy6 by way of Wayright) (1)
Moruga Scorpion Yellow (can't remember source) (1)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (Butch's Strain) (1)
Naga Morich (from my plants last year, seeds from pepperlover previous year) (1)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (romy6 by way of Waywright) (1)
Red Bhut Jolokia (biscgolf) (1)
Carolina Reaper (HP22B-A) (Ed Currie) (1)
Romy6 Mystery Annuum (romy6) (1)
Scotch Bonnet (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Jalapeno (pepperlover) (1)
Red Bell Pepper (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Sweet Banana (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Jimmy Nardelo (pepperlover) (1)
Numex Twighlight (Baker's Peppers) (1) (will go in front yard to add some color to our landscaping)

I'm going to go soilless this year for my growing medium. I will be using peat, dolomite lime, and perlite. To feed I will use Dyna-Gro. Last year I was all over the place in the mixes I used and ferts, so hopefully some consistency this year will yield better results. Not complaining about my yield from last year (except for mold issues in pods), but I can always aim higher right?

I'm going to try to get on here more often now that I have a bit more time, so hopefully I'll be able to get caught up with everybody. Hope everyone has an excellent grow in 2013!

Oh yeah, if anybody has any advice on the ratio of lime to peat I should use, it would be greatly appreciated. It's probably not that simple though I'm guessing. Probably need to invest in a good soil PH tester don't I?

Edit: NM about the lime question. I just re-read my thread on the mix I'm going to be using and Capsicum and queequeg152 gave me good advice on the ratio.
Edit2: Edited to add the seed sources.

35 bucks, I'm in :D please post up the mix, I'm up for something new to test against roll your own compost, hehe

Sure thing. It's super simple. Peat, lime, perlite. That's it. I used a ratio of 2:1 peat to perlite and 2 tablespoons of lime to 1 gallon of peat. Just mixed some up tonight actually. One thing I learned for the next batch I mix up is to wear a mask. That peat is really dusty when it's dry. No telling how much of that dust I inhaled into my lungs. I was advised to wet it while I mix it, but I did not do that. Instead I'm opting to soak it thoroughly the day before I put the seeds in it. We'll see if that was a mistake or not...

Just finished putting all my seeds in baggies. Got them in the cubby with the dehydrator running. If I decide to go bigger next year I may just have to put them straight in soil. This took a lot longer than I wanted and it was very tedious for the amount of seeds I was doing. Oh well, it is done and now I wait.

Those annuums should sprout up pretty quick. The dolomite lime will keep those seedlings nice and green. Without it the young sprouts tend to yellow from the low ph of the peat.

The Nardello's are one of my favorite sweet peppers to saute. I use to grow the Marconi but gave up on them for crappy crop failure. The Cubanelle's are another favorite especially if let to ripen. Nice thin wall peppers either fresh sliced or fried up with onions...
Good luck with the grow tent and the indoor start,

Greg

Those annuums should sprout up pretty quick. The dolomite lime will keep those seedlings nice and green. Without it the young sprouts tend to yellow from the low ph of the peat.

The Nardello's are one of my favorite sweet peppers to saute. I use to grow the Marconi but gave up on them for crappy crop failure. The Cubanelle's are another favorite especially if let to ripen. Nice thin wall peppers either fresh sliced or fried up with onions...
Good luck with the grow tent and the indoor start,

Greg

I'm really looking forward to the Nardelo's. Never had them, but everybody seems to rave about them. Thanks for stopping in Greg!

Woohoo nice list you got there. Sooner or later you'll be reviewing them whole pods once again..... Keep up the grow

Thanks Denniz. Gotta get back on track with the reviews. Still not quite slow enough at work for me to get back to that, but hopefully soon.

:dance: Allrighty Then!!!!!! :dance: Keep the updates coming!

Yeah I love Jamie's Mystery Annuum. Can't wait to get some pods from that bad boy.

Got more hooks in the babies, so time to put them in cups.

3x Naga Morich
3x Carolina Reaper
3x 7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic
3x 7 Pot Barrackpore
3x 7 Pot Brown
3x Yellow Moruga Scorpion
3x Numex Twilight

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1028]

On a related note, I've done some pretty poor capacity planning. Should have gone with smaller cups. I've only got room in the trays for 45 solo cups but I need to fit 63 in the box. Think I need to put up some makeshift shelving in front of the window to store the extras. Will make a nice little experiment too!

Nice Brian! Good to see a few of us with Jamie's Mysteries going around. Nice list! Can't wait for the pod reviews! If you can find them the 3.25" square pots I use fit 18 per tray. They're only 25 cents each, not as top heavy as the solos and are reusable...would still only get you up to 54 in there though. :think:

Nice Brian! Good to see a few of us with Jamie's Mysteries going around. Nice list! Can't wait for the pod reviews! If you can find them the 3.25" square pots I use fit 18 per tray. They're only 25 cents each, not as top heavy as the solos and are reusable...would still only get you up to 54 in there though. :think:

Yeah I definitely need to use different starter containers next year. But I've managed to make it work anyway. I've had a few seeds that didn't grow anymore so I've thrown them out. Got a few more sitting in front of the window so we'll see how they do. Thanks for dropping in Shane!

I'm finished with the plastic baggies now. I have all of my seeds in cups except for the Butch Ts, they developed some nasty looking mold and they weren't germing anyway. I thought about trying a few more, but I've honestly got enough plants going, so I'll forgo them this year.

As I said, all of my varieties for this year have at least one seed that has given me a hook. Here's pics of the babies. Most of them have come up. The tray that doesn't have any was just started yesterday.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1034]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1033]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1032]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1031]

You'll notice the seed helmets on three of them. Those are all the romy6 Mystery Annuums. I don't have much hope in those coming off themselves because it is on there very tight. I performed a little surgery this morning on one of them and clipped the outer part of the seed. I did not pull it off but hopefully the cotyledons can make their way out now on at least that one.

Back