• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2013 Grow Log - 2013-09-06 Video Update!

Well here we go again!! I'm finally starting to slow down a bit with work so I can start to concentrate more on growing some peppers. Cannot wait. In the next week or two I will be starting to germinate my seeds. I plan to more than double the plants I had last year. I plan to grow 20 plants in the backyard and 1 ornamental in the front yard. Here is the list of what I'm growing this year:

7 Pot Jonah (from my plants last year, seeds from romy6 previous year) (1)
7 Pot Primo (pepperlover) (1)
7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic (pepperlover) (1)
7 Pot Brown (Nagacanerio) (2)
7 Pot Barrackpore (romy6) (1)
Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Red 7 Pot Brainstrain (Cappy aka PepperRidgeFarm) (1)
Moruga Scorpion Red (romy6 by way of Wayright) (1)
Moruga Scorpion Yellow (can't remember source) (1)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (Butch's Strain) (1)
Naga Morich (from my plants last year, seeds from pepperlover previous year) (1)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (romy6 by way of Waywright) (1)
Red Bhut Jolokia (biscgolf) (1)
Carolina Reaper (HP22B-A) (Ed Currie) (1)
Romy6 Mystery Annuum (romy6) (1)
Scotch Bonnet (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Jalapeno (pepperlover) (1)
Red Bell Pepper (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Sweet Banana (Baker's Peppers) (1)
Jimmy Nardelo (pepperlover) (1)
Numex Twighlight (Baker's Peppers) (1) (will go in front yard to add some color to our landscaping)

I'm going to go soilless this year for my growing medium. I will be using peat, dolomite lime, and perlite. To feed I will use Dyna-Gro. Last year I was all over the place in the mixes I used and ferts, so hopefully some consistency this year will yield better results. Not complaining about my yield from last year (except for mold issues in pods), but I can always aim higher right?

I'm going to try to get on here more often now that I have a bit more time, so hopefully I'll be able to get caught up with everybody. Hope everyone has an excellent grow in 2013!

Oh yeah, if anybody has any advice on the ratio of lime to peat I should use, it would be greatly appreciated. It's probably not that simple though I'm guessing. Probably need to invest in a good soil PH tester don't I?

Edit: NM about the lime question. I just re-read my thread on the mix I'm going to be using and Capsicum and queequeg152 gave me good advice on the ratio.
Edit2: Edited to add the seed sources.

I have been battling similar issues with my leaves. Cannot wait to get them outside...indoor grows make me too stressed!

Chris I couldn't agree more! I keep thinking that once I get them outside and spaced out more that air flow will help the roots breath more. From what I've been reading, the leaf curl could be a sign of overwatering or overferting. I don't think I'm doing either, but who knows. I think having them all crammed in that box so close together keeps the ones in the back from being able to get good airflow on the pot. So if I get them outside and hardened, I'll be able to space them so plenty of air flows through the pot. That's my theory anyway, unless any of you wiser growers has a better one.

I have the same issues with some of mine. I agree with you and JHP, moving outside is the ticket.

HMMMMMMMMMM:) The ones you are keeping sure look much nicer than the giveaways ;)

I think your plants look great. Since you are not overwatering :rolleyes: I would have to say ease up on the ferts. But really not bad enough to worry much about it. :fireball:

Not explanation for the cat. I am a dog person :rofl:

HMMMMMMMMMM:) The ones you are keeping sure look much nicer than the giveaways ;)

I think your plants look great. Since you are not overwatering :rolleyes: I would have to say ease up on the ferts. But really not bad enough to worry much about it. :fireball:

Not explanation for the cat. I am a dog person :rofl:

So what's with the :rolleyes:, huh? LMAO, you are probably right to put that in there :). I may stop bottom watering them now as well as backing off the ferts. That may be contributing to any "overwatering" I may be doing.

+3 same issue but I have terrible aphids and fungal gnats that are really taking a toll. One plant that Denniz sent, which was the largest is dead. I aint tellin him so hushhh!!! The others aren't dead but have some leaf issues. I think we will make it to plant out as long as we keep on top of this bug crap. I dont think your being nit picky, but just watch em for now. Real Close

Okay, I've had enough. My plants are growing at a snail's pace and the leaves continue to fall off. I've backed off the ferts. I am no longer bottom watering, so the root zone isn't getting completely saturated anymore. I've begun to use H2O2 in my water as well. Nothing is helping. So I've come to the realization that it has to be the potting mix. I'm thinking that I just don't have enough of a buffer in there. My plan was to go completely synthetic this year and then go completely organic next year, then compare the results. Well I've seen enough of how the synthetic works. So after I harden my plants, which I am in the process of doing, I will begin potting them up to 5 gallon root pouches (whether they are ready for it or not) with an organic potting mix. Here are the ingredients of the mix:

Peat: 15%
Composted Pine Bark Fines (See "Harvest Clay Breaker" at Lowes): 15%
Bagged Compost (See "Harvest Superpowered Compost" at Lowes) - 30%
Bagged Compost (See "Garden Pro Compost" at Lowes) - 20%
Perlite - 20%

I will mix in some Jobe's Organic Vegetable and Tomato fertilizer when I mix up the soil to give them a starter boost of nutrients and beneficial microorganisms. After that I plan to only feed with compost teas the rest of the season.

I would love to use something other than bagged compost, but I dont have any home compost (will be starting in a week or two) and the only other compost I can find around here is in bulk, which is way more than I need. So I'm just going to go bagged for this season. Next season I hope to have enough of my homemade compost to provide the bulk of my compost needs.

I don't think I will add any extra lime to the peat (maybe 1 TBSP per gallon as opposed to the 2 TBSP I was doing already) as the Claybreaker I'm using has gypsum in it already, which should add the calcium and the ph upping that I need. The Jobe's has calcium in it as well.

Hopefully by switching to this, I can still get a good harvest by mid summer. If I continue to go the way I am, I'm afraid my plants will never produce a harvest.

Like you said, I'd def flush em out. No way to get some more air moving around? Couldn't really tell by the pic whats wrong exactly. Careful with the H2o2 tho. Just plain water should be fine. Seems like it would be a pretty good mix you are gonna make. Or I'd recommend ProMix w/mycorrhizae, or I really like FF Ocean Forest. Doesn't have the mycorrhizae but that's easily added. Try foliar feeding for a couple weeks instead of using nutes in the soil. GOod way to tell what its lacking in way of nutrition. Just make sure you have a fan on em to dry em off after you spray tho. Good luck man. I'll check back in!

Looking great Brian. Sucks about those little issues, I know that I had all my problems while they were indoors, but once they were outside everything took off. It is something about being inside...

I had a few that dropped their leaves and then I put them outside and everything bounced back huge.

Either way, good luck, you definitely have a great spread!

So yeah, I had pretty much abandoned this glog, mainly out of frustration and quite frankly being embarrassed.  Then I decided to go ahead and start documenting again.  So here's basically what happened between now and my prior post.  I went ahead and used the mix I outlined above.  However, I think the composted pine bark fines weren't composted enough.  After potting up, my plants really weren't doing well.  Getting very light green.  At first, I though it was because I was using tap water to water (really only watered with compost teas) an organic mix and the chloramine was killing the microbes in the soil.  So I bought a rain barrell.  So the compost teas looked to be perking up the plants a bit, yet they were still growing SO SLOW.  I then decided to get a soil test done by my local cooperative extension.  The results showed that I was EXTREMELY low in Nitrogen.  And it wasn't from a lack of Nitrogen from the ingredients.  It had to have been because of N tie up.  My ph was at 6.3 so that was fine.  That's what led me to think it was the pine fines that were tying it up.  So I started applying a high N fertilizer, and lo and behold, my plants started taking off!  Now that I have set my plants back roughly 1.5 months, things are progressing nicely and they are starting to pod up.

Here's some pics:

All plants
2013-07-16%2013.17.18.png

Banana Pepper with a single pod providing some LST
2013-07-16%2013.17.33.png

Romy6 Mystery Pod
2013-07-16%2013.17.46.png

Jalapeno pod (have 10 pods set so far)
2013-07-16%2013.18.41.png

Jimmy Nardelo ripening up
2013-07-16%2013.20.13.png

Naga Morich (9 pods on this plant so far)
2013-07-16%2013.20.32.png

Primo podding up (17 pods thus far and adding daily)
2013-07-16%2013.20.53.png

Biggest Primo pod (nevermind the black spots, just compost tea spots)
2013-07-16%2013.21.17.png

Yellow Bhut (3 pods thus far)
2013-07-16%2013.23.01.png

That's it for the pods so far.  But I'm confident that I'll be getting a lot more in the near future.  They are all starting to get lots of flower buds forming, so it won't be long.  Oh yeah, I do have 1 Scotch Bonnet pod, but forgot to snap a pic.

Looking good Brian. Glad your mystery annuum is producing. Pods look more goat like though. Keep us posted . Should really start to take off now. 

Finally picked my first ripe super.  A 7 Pot Primo.  I have a Naga Morich ripening as well.  Hopefully this means others will follow suit soon.

2013-08-04%2016.43.01.jpg

Doesn't exactly have the typical shape of a primo, but others on the plant follow the shape better.

Will be doing a video pod test later tonight...

Video update time!  Still woefully behind last year's pace, but looking better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hWdTPtiLhA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiYHmndhluQL2PQhTlYItkw

Update time!  Plants are podding up nicely now.  Just hoping they can ripen quickly to beat out the first frost that is likely to come in 1.5 months.  If so, I should have quite a few peppers to harvest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIg3VNVU6cw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiYHmndhluQL2PQhTlYItkw

Brian,
You should have enough time left in the season to get some of those 7/Pots to ripen.
We're still getting great weather up here, 80's day/ 60's night. The cooler evening temps have made watering less of a chore and is speeding up the ripening process.
Same here with the Reapers....somewhat smaller in size so far but I noticed s few larger unripe pods higher on the plant. My supers have been taking quite along time this season to produce. I've had Habs ripening all over the place since July.
Whatever green pods I have left at the end of the season will get chopped up and stuffed into 1 gal glass containers with cane vinegar. The juice will eventually be incorporated into some hot sauce making.
Good luck with the rest of your season...

Greg thanks fir stopping in. I certainly hope to be able to harvest quite a few of those pods that are just now forming. But you've given me a great idea of what,to do with the ones tbat don't ripen. My plants have been very late to produce as well, but that is largely due the mistakes I've made.

Back