• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Confused

Why do my hands burn everytime I pot up my super hots?? Is there cap in the roots??? My hands are burning WTF?!?

Never had that happen to me. Do the plants have peppers on them? Are you allergic to anything that could be in your potting mix? Fertilizers? Hope you get it figured out.

Why do my hands burn everytime I pot up my super hots?? Is there cap in the roots??? My hands are burning WTF?!?

Yeah mate happens to me all the times...especially when I deal with super hots....touch a little and burn alot...just grab those thin latex gloves from the supermarket and youll be good.

By the way your sauce is on the way.

Thanks Scorp!

Patrick: remove from old pot, lightly break up root ball, put in new pot with new soil, water, question why hands are burning...same thing everytime.

DT you got me buddy. I don't think it's ever happened to me that I can recall. I've never repotted any plants though once they start producing peppers. I'm thinking about doing it on one or two of mine just to see if I can get it to happen. I guess follow the Scorp's advice and get some gloves. Course your friends will start getting on your case when they see you wearing gloves to play with your plants. I know I would. ;)

highly recommend nitrile gloves instead of latex because the capsaicin molecule will penetrate latex but will not penetrate nitrile...speaking from the voice of experience here...I use latex processing the peppers and my hands don't burn, but whatever I touch with my hands after I take the gloves off sure does burn...use your imagination...and...when I process with nitrile gloves, then remove them, I can touch anything...even rub my eyes and no burn is noticed...

use your imagination...and...when I process with nitrile gloves, then remove them, I can touch anything...even rub my eyes and no burn is noticed...
Don't ask don't tell! :rofl: Sorry...could't help myself AJ...Just seemed like an open invitation. I hope you have a good sense of humor :cool:

highly recommend nitrile gloves instead of latex because the capsaicin molecule will penetrate latex but will not penetrate nitrile...speaking from the voice of experience here...I use latex processing the peppers and my hands don't burn, but whatever I touch with my hands after I take the gloves off sure does burn...use your imagination...and...when I process with nitrile gloves, then remove them, I can touch anything...even rub my eyes and no burn is noticed...

+1 rep for highly useful info :rofl:

Pull a root out, wash it off and taste it... If it's hot, you have a new mutation... Far as I know, cap glands have never been recorded outside of a pod before.

Very strange. The plants themselves should not be hot, even the outside of the hottest pods shouldn't be hot until cut open or bit into

Just out of curiosity how would tasting the root determine a new mutation? I don't know a ton about botany other than what i've learned here(which is a lot).

Back