• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Container Size vs Pod Size

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I have noticed that the pods on all my plants have decreased in size as the season has progressed...

What I am wondering is, if the plants start to get rootbound in the containers, will that cause pod size decrease...everything is in 5 gallon containers...as far as plant size goes, they are all getting huge...

I don't have the impetuce to do any more transplanting this year, but next year is a different story...I am thinking that for my best plants next year, I will transplant to 10 gallon containers from 5...

any other container gardeners have any insight into pod size vs container size?

I personally haven't noticed any difference in pod size with bigger pots, even when they are rootbound. I have tiny plants and huge plants which are both producing the same size pods.

P...if it is not container size/root bound...do you think it is the summer heat? or am I lacking in nutrients?

Does the water sit on top of the soil when you water AJ, or does it instantly drain through. I think the looser your soil helps grow larger plants and pods. I always get smaller pods and plants in the ground just because of the compacting of the soil.

i think PRF is correct with loose soil being key...

but, temp and weather play a huge part as well as everyone knows.. this year my pods are smaller the usuall...

im thinking too many days of rain and inconsistent temps in the day and evening are to blame..

Here's a good example- or not.
These are from some seeds you sent me last year. Same kind of plant... I think. They are the same size as yellow chieros or white bullets. C. Chinense orange bullets (not chicken hearts)
Anyway they were grown in very different sized containers. The 3 bigger ones in a huge self-watering container and the other 4 in a very small thing.
They may be different crosses, but I don't think so.
smallorangechinense.jpg

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Does the water sit on top of the soil when you water AJ, or does it instantly drain through. I think the looser your soil helps grow larger plants and pods. I always get smaller pods and plants in the ground just because of the compacting of the soil.

its sits on the top for about 10 seconds....

bigt said:
Probably the heat AJ. See what the fall will bring.

I am hoping the heat is the answer...

ABurningMouth said:
Here's a good example- or not.
These are from some seeds you sent me last year. Same kind of plant... I think. They are the same size as yellow chieros or white bullets. C. Chinense orange bullets (not chicken hearts)
Anyway they were grown in very different sized containers. The 3 bigger ones in a huge self-watering container and the other 4 in a very small thing.
They may be different crosses, but I don't think so.
smallorangechinense.jpg

don't forget to save me some of them seeds...those are great peppers...as far as the pod size difference in the different containers...I don't know

AlabamaJack said:
...as far as the pod size difference in the different containers...I don't know

Why? Do you think they are a slightly different variety or something?
The 3 pods at the top of the pic are twice as big. There's tons more on the plant too. A constant supply of food and water is the key. Self watering, hydro, or in-ground plants always have bigger pods from my observation. Except in Lee's case. ; )
What have you observed AJ?

The seeds will be on the way.
Air is important for healthy roots too. Why does water sit on top for any time at all? That doesn't sound good.

they liked a lot of shade down here last year and produced tons...I think the reason they used a lot of water is because of the size of the plant and the number of pods they produced...

I have just noticed that over the past 2 weeks, my pods have decreased in size so I think I am just going to attribute it to the heat and hope for larger pods once the weather cools a bit...looked this morning and my serranos, cayennes, and passow piquaranos are absolutely loaded with tiny peppers...

AJ, I think it's just the heat. Stress will cause a plant to start to ripen pods sooner and at a smaller size. My plants still have some large ripe pods but also are ripening quite a few small ones and that didn't happen earlier in the season. When things get a little cooler I believe the pod size will return to normal.

Rain seems to make my pods bigger - if they get rain in their fast growth phase that is. Otherwise, I notice a gereneral smalling down of pods the further away from the first node you get.

I have found a direct correlation between the roots becoming old or rootbound and the entire plant's lack of vigor, which leaded to smaller pods.

As soon as I trimmed the roots, the plant started taking off again and I think it has to do with the hairs on the roots. I noticed that after a while they become old and enlarged, and if they cannot grow new hairs the roots lose the ability to absorb water and nutrients.

So I don't think it has much to do with container size, but root age. I have had some plants in small containers produce large pods, simply because they had just started growing and had new roots that were not rootbound. I have also had plants that lost vigor and were putting out smallish pods and they were in a large container. When I pulled the plant out, I noticed the hair like roots were lacking compared to a fresh "first year" plant half way through the year.

So, if a plant loses vigor, I'll first check for a nutrient deficiency. If that doesnt seem to be the problem, I'll pull the plant out, trim the roots, add some new soil and put the whole thing back in the pot. If it's too much trouble I just trash the whole plant and make a cutting from my best similar variety.

AJ, If I remember correctly, you had the same general problem last year as well in regards to heat. But I think that was more along the lines of your plant not producing as much in the heat instead of the pods being smaller??

The number of pods is something that should also be included into the equation. I had a fatalii in a 3 Litre (0.8 Gallon) container all last season cause I forgot it was there and when I found it it had 4 pods on it and they were half as big again as my main fatalii that produced hundreds of pods over the season in a 9 gallon pot...

Have you changed your fertilizing routine ? blossom fert ??

I have small pods so far but this season is horrible -- 80-90 degrees when its not raining and in the 50's at night its crazy -- Rocottos are loving it however..

I changed fert regimen about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be helping somewhat...I am really leaning on heat being the reason...

Back