• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Contest for First Ripe Pepper

pablo said:
i read that article months ago,it only states that the pods size is different..that can be done thru selective breeding and has been done that way for centurys...now show me a link with a scientific DNA analyisis
that shows them not the same plant
Oh, you're one of "them". :neutral:
Well you know what? They're exactly the same plant.
It has nothing to do with the fact that each pepper grows in a different habitat.
The fact that more than just few characteristics (such as pod size, pod shape, number of pods per plant and even heat) are TOTALLY DIFFERENT shouldn't matter. :confused:

its called selective breeding...
Jolokia is a landrace from india...not UK
Dorset Naga is a somewhat stabile inbred variety of the Jolokia Landrace...
very simple stuff

Who even mentioned the Dorset Naga?
Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia are two different peppers.
Not so sure about Bih Jolokia and Bhut Jolokia, but who knows.

pablo said:
Dorset Naga is a somewhat stabile inbred variety of the Jolokia Landrace...
very simple stuff
my bad
Naga Morich is a somewhat stabile inbred variety of the Jolokia Landrace...
very simple stuff

Omri said:
Who even mentioned the Dorset Naga?
Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia are two different peppers.
Not so sure about Bih Jolokia and Bhut Jolokia, but who knows.
Not really worth argueing about...
Im still gonna smoke your ass mate.
seed or clone...

pablo said:
my bad
Naga Morich is a somewhat stabile inbred variety of the Jolokia Landrace...
very simple stuff
Naga Morich originates from Bangladesh, not Dorset.
Bih Jolokia on the other hand, is from Assam.

pablo said:
Not really worth argueing about...
Im still gonna smoke your ass mate.
seed or clone...
Well good luck with that. :lol:

the heat is on

Omri said:
Liked the way you went a line down, made it dramatic. :onfire:
Then your gonna love this...
But then I guess this lady is wrong too...
copied from NMSU CPI website link to
fieryfoods.com

Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Naga Jolokia -- what the ...?

Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Naga Jolokia, Naga Morich, Raja Mirchi ... what's the deal with all those different names you can read in print and on the Internet these days for supposedly the very same chile variety? We asked someone who should know best: Leena Saikia of Frontal Agritech, a pepper grower and processing company in Assam that also grows and cultivates Bih Jolokia. Here's what Leena told me:

"All these chillies are from North East India. They belong to Capsicum chinense. In fact, Naga jolokia, Nagahari, Bhut jolokia, Bih jolokia or Borbih jolokia are the same chilli but named differently at different places. For example, the Assamese community call it as Bih jolokia (poison chilli -- jolokia means chilli in Assamese), Bhut jolokia (probably due to its ghostly bite or introduction by the Bhutias from Bhutan poison chilli) or Naga jolokia (due to extreme hotness representing the aggressive temperament of the warriors of neighbouring Naga community). In Nagaland and Manipur states, it is known as Raja Mircha or Raja chilli (King of Chillies). In major Indian languages, chilli is known as Mirch or mircha (Bengali and Hindi)." Morich" may be a distorted version of 'mirch'.

So how about this chile variety outside Northeastern India?
Leena said:

"We fully agree that these are of the same species and type which might have migrated to other nearby states and countries including Bangladesh and Srilanka where this chilli continued to be known as Naga Mircha ("Naga Moresh''). The original seeds of Dorset Naga were sourced from Bangladeshi community of Britain who might have taken the fruits of this chilli from Bangladesh for culinary purposes."

In their home country, Bhut Jolokia and Bih Jolokia are also spelled Bhwt Jolokiya and Bih Jolkiya respectively.

In a blog we overheard this statement, obviously by a local as well:
"It depends on where you grow it. If it is in Guwahati, it is Bhot Jalakia. In Jorhat it would be Bhut Jalakia. The end result is the same, you burn at both ends."
Confusing.

There seem to slight differences between various flavors of this pepper, though.
While the Assamese growers (Bih Jolokia) as well as the Chile Pepper Institute (Bhut Jolokia) report two flowers per node for their respective plants, we found clusters of up to five on the Naga Morich test plants we grew in our Pepperworld greenhouse from original "Chileman" seeds.

Also, depending on the source, certain calyx differences are evident, and also in fruit shape. Growing the various peppers next season will hopefully bring more insight, so some updates in the future are possible.

With the potential to have the latest "Hottest Chile on Earth" in their hands that will kick Red Savina off its throne, it is no wonder that various parties are trying to market this pepper as "theirs."

Maybe this last sentence has more to do with the disput than anything else.
From everything in print and photograph I have seen, leads me to believe they all are the same genetic species of chilli pepper.
one sure fire way is to test for the common jolokia RAPD marker found in the CPI DNA test for the Bhut Jolokia and compare Naga Morich to it...that would most assurdly quell this disput...

no need for drama,we agree to disagree

:hell:
pablokia

Well she's pretty wrong.
First of all a DNA test (I thought you like those) showed it has both Chinense and Frutescens genes.
Also she is just saying what SHE THINKS, just like I think they're not the same.
Three types of plants (one called 'Bih Jolokia', one 'Bhut Jolokia' and the other 'Naga Morich'), all came from a "pure" source with no "selective breeding" in the plant's history and guess what? under the same conditions, they grew differently.

Also, you chose to ignore an important part:
There seem to slight differences between various flavors of this pepper, though.
While the Assamese growers (Bih Jolokia) as well as the Chile Pepper Institute (Bhut Jolokia) report two flowers per node for their respective plants, we found clusters of up to five on the Naga Morich test plants we grew in our Pepperworld greenhouse from original "Chileman" seeds.

I concure with pablo, I can't see there being too much advantage and Billyboy is growing them and nagas out so roll on.. mind you if you win Pablo I'll denie all and have you struck from the record books lol

I tell you its lucky we aren't playuing for a kidney otherwise it might get competitive...

stillmanz said:
You sure no how to make friends round here Omri.

I like Omri. And not just because I agree with him.

Saying that Bhut Jolkia and the Naga Morich are the same pepper from different regions is like saying that all red habaneros are the same pepper with different names. We know that there are lots of very similar peppers out there, but we accept that they're different varieties. We know from reports of the people growing both the Bhut Jolokia and the Naga Morich that they are very similar, but there are some differences.

How many generations of selective breeding does it take before you have a recognizable new variety?

stillmanz said:
I concure with pablo, I can't see there being too much advantage and Billyboy is growing them and nagas out so roll on.. mind you if you win Pablo I'll denie all and have you struck from the record books lol

I tell you its lucky we aren't playuing for a kidney otherwise it might get competitive...
lol it's not about the contest.
He can use JalapeƱos for all I care, I just think he's wrong. :)

Pam said:
I like Omri. And not just because I agree with him.

Saying that Bhut Jolkia and the Naga Morich are the same pepper from different regions is like saying that all red habaneros are the same pepper with different names. We know that there are lots of very similar peppers out there, but we accept that they're different varieties. We know from reports of the people growing both the Bhut Jolokia and the Naga Morich that they are very similar, but there are some differences.

How many generations of selective breeding does it take before you have a recognizable new variety?
Totally agree, especially with the liking Omri part. ;)

I started 9 seeds but only plan on growing 1 or 2 Naga Morich plants. I'll just pick the 2 that grow the quickest I guess.
I also just figured out that a blog isn't a snotball so maybe I'll look into trying this format.

Ha ha ^^ I am starting 7 or 8 and I have a dozen going to an experimental lab. I broke down and used the snot ball it aint so bad

Back