• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cook-off help

Hi Folks, New to sanctioned cook-off's and looking for a little help in the "Red" department. Our local cook-off (3rd year) has become CASI sanctioned this year. I Have not entered Red before
and after some web searching it appears that beans in "Red" chili is taboo? Do I just keep it simple with beef and tomatoe base with a few spices? Any input would appreciated. My "Green" (people choice 2 years running) rocks, but it doesnt seem to be as appreciated in the big TX cook-offs as the "Red". Is that right? I know I'm showing my rookie colors here so I would appreciate a little advice from you chili pro's. Thank:?:

ok folks, I started stressin about the upcoming cookoff wondering how to satisfy the judges while meeting the requirements of the sanctioning body and it hit me like a ton of bricks...........its not so much about the chili ,whether it be red, green , texas style, to bean or not to bean, is not the question....... Its about a bunch of pretty good ole boys (and gals)who in the name of a competition and braggin rights are blessed enough to get out there and have a good time around a pot of (whatever) while supporting a cause for those less fortunate. That being said.........................
I'm gonna mix this stuff together and see what the weekend holds.
b blessed folks.

Hillbilly Chili said:
ok folks, I started stressin about the upcoming cookoff wondering how to satisfy the judges while meeting the requirements of the sanctioning body and it hit me like a ton of bricks...........its not so much about the chili ,whether it be red, green , texas style, to bean or not to bean, is not the question....... Its about a bunch of pretty good ole boys (and gals)who in the name of a competition and braggin rights are blessed enough to get out there and have a good time around a pot of (whatever) while supporting a cause for those less fortunate. That being said.........................
I'm gonna mix this stuff together and see what the weekend holds.
b blessed folks.

Don't forget about all the cold pints. Good luck eh.

i know it sounds corney but end of the cook off win place show or not even top 10 it makes ya feel good to help others. you know alot of orginizations that you try and do for its like a job..yea there is some work to it and effort but the fun outweights that by a long shot.

I'm pickin up what your layin down Bubba, Thanks.
I drove to pueblo (Musso Farms) to have some chili's roasted and pick up an assortment of fresh peppers for my salsa's and when I got home I realized that I left the bag with all those peppers beside that counter:( I'm bummin. Its only 40 miles away but I'm kinda running out of time with other prep projects.

focus grasshoper....wax on wax off.....sand the floor....paint the fence...crane technique
and anything else you can think of to inspire you.

Thanks DevilDuck,
It was a pretty small cookoff though, I knew it was bad....I was still adding spices, garlic, chili's right up to turn in time. there was just no saving it. I think my biggest problem was the beef. I had heard about a chili grind, so I went to the butcher and picked up 6 lbs of coarse grind (1st time though) beef. the consistancy was bad even after a few hours cookin. oh well.
My Green took second, so that makes me feel a little better.
My salsa's were a huge hit, no competition for salsa in this cookoff. I just make em for the crowd.
I see from your profile that you are into sauce's. How is that going for you?

when i first stared they had a award.......dead ass last....got plenty of those on the tropy shelf.
like you said i would like to come in last and have fun than first and be misserable.

This thread is in Chili Chat now, since it's mostly about your chili, and not the event. PS - I merged your two threads. :clap:

Thanks HotPepper, I'll get the hang of it eventually.
Hey Bubba, Thanks dude, I feel better now. (and not just because #48 is behind the wall:) )
So whats up with chili grind? I'm sure thats where I went wrong. That once thru ground beef just wasnt happening.
The folks from the Colorado Chili Pod are Great. I learned alot from some of the pro's. I will be entering the Sundance Bluegrass Festival cookoff on Oct 14th.
Here's a question....does the green also have to be cooked on site? My sister and I were working like dogs to prepare our chili's, and it seemed that most of the folks just had a little pot of chili and were kicking back, suckin down suds. We made close to 5 gallons of each and we were beat. We did manage to consume massive quantities of brew however.
There was one dude out there, Steve Hill he is something else. took 1st in the green yesterday and after tasting it,well I didnt mind finishing 2nd to it. He runs chilicookin.com.
I was checking out his past awards, wow!! Check it out if you get a chance

Can you use ground pork?? I've done it and it doesn't take much to add a little zip tang or whatever to the flavor. At WTR, my pot was always emptied by the guests.:hell:

Howdy tinner,
there was no specs on the type of meat. The folks next to me were using beef and buffalo. The pork would be a great addition. When I make it at home I use beef, buffalo and or pork, of course I'm also a fan of beans so I use plenty at home. If I'm not mistakin tho...I think beans are outlawed in Texas, at least is the CASI Red. They will not only disqualify you but they will hurl you out of Texas:)

Bubbs, Is your next cookoff this weekend?
where ya been bro? I'm gonna head up to Fort Colling in October, I think I'm hooked. Have you heard of that Steve Hill dude? HIs last cookoff he was 1st red,1stgreen, 1st wings, 1st jambalayaa(sp?)
and 1st showmanship........oh and his daughter was 1st junior red.

Back