• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cook-off help

Hi Folks, New to sanctioned cook-off's and looking for a little help in the "Red" department. Our local cook-off (3rd year) has become CASI sanctioned this year. I Have not entered Red before
and after some web searching it appears that beans in "Red" chili is taboo? Do I just keep it simple with beef and tomatoe base with a few spices? Any input would appreciated. My "Green" (people choice 2 years running) rocks, but it doesnt seem to be as appreciated in the big TX cook-offs as the "Red". Is that right? I know I'm showing my rookie colors here so I would appreciate a little advice from you chili pro's. Thank:?:

you guys are too cool.
Marco, I will email you the recipe if you like.
guitargod/hairgod/lackofmulletgod, you rock man.
hotpepper, way too funny.
Bubba, still seeking help bro.
thanks for all!!!

ahhhhh gotta love google found it
Sep 16, 2006-007 - Monument CO CASI. 3rd Annual High Country Chili Competitions include CASI Red and Green. Held at 243 Washington Street, in front of High Country Home and Garden Center. Turn-in 1:30 PM. Entry fee is $15 for either red or green or $20 to cook both. Send entry fees to Colorado Chili Pod, c/o John Montgomery, 1670 Broadway, Suite 3000, Denver, CO 80202. Benefits Tri-Lakes Cares Food Bank. Contact Lyman Wilkinson chililyman@aol.com 970-669-1573.

wow this is intresting there is a red and a green division.
well like you said nothing was mentioned in the ad about meat so its cooks choice in my mind. might want to give a buzz to the number given for sits and giggles....hmmmm let me go back and read your original post and answer your questions as best as i can.

well let me be honest with ya..never cooked or tasted green chili...would love to but never have..... ok answer to question number one.....no beans in casi chili or texas style. if you have a freestyle catagory thats where beans go. if you got a good green recipe heck 20 bucks do both. now for my favorite the bowl of red...cooks choice meat is either cut meat or chili grind...chili grind to me is a coarser cut of meat not realy loose but chunky. cut meat you take the meat your gonna cook with and dice them into little cubes. and basicaly its meat and gravy no fillers. there are a cpl of rules you need to follow like cook on site the day of the event and no pre packaged mixes. also you are not allowed to let anyone "sample" your chili until after turn in.
but the main thing is to drink beer and have a load of fun and the best of luck to ya....ill monitor this thread for a cpl of days any questions come up give me a hollar.
bubba out

Brother Bubba,
Heap big thanks for the advice. Like I said....I,ve never cooked "red" but I'm gonna give er hell this weekend. I'll keep it simple and of course drink massive quantities of brew. The proceeds go to a well worthy cause and its a great excuse to get out of work around the house.
I think I will ask the butcher for a course grind of beef, should it be lean or does the fat add a litle? Also I'm kind into bell peppers....would this be crazy if added early and marinated well into the chili?
Wow dude I cant believe a chili pro like yourself has not gone a little green yet. I guess it shows the different taste across this great nation. Green is the s it out here in CO. I make a mean batch, has been known to "make your tongue slap your brains out" Would be happy to send the recipe if you like.
In the mean time...I'll hit the grocery store tomorrow so any advice or last minute input would be appreciated.
Thanks again!!

Hillbilly Chili said:
so any advice or last minute input would be appreciated.
Thanks again!!
Keep it simple, cook it nice and slow, keep all chopped ingredients the same size, and don't let one flavor take over your whole dish. Oh, and have fun!

marcosauces said:
Can you mix deer meat with regular meat in this competitions..?

that question has come up several times to me and i have never found out the answer...i will put my sherlock holmes hat on and let you know.

hillbilly my freestyle or throwdown i love green peppers so to answer your question if you want to put them in and then take them out at the end...the main rule of CASI red is meat and gravy no fillers no beans no big chunks of veggies just meat and gravy.

now about fat...id go kinda lean and this is just me but imagine if your cup sits for a cpl of min on the judging table and then they open it up and the top 3 inches of the cup is grease??? might turn off a judge.

oh i jus thought of another kinda neat little rule..lets say a area ref or a casi offical comes by and says i want you to taste some of your own chili from you cup and you refuse to do it your disqualified....another little weird rule.

Not sure Marco, The wife and I eat quite a bit of buffalo. Taste like beef to me and i guess (according to the misses) its has health benefits. Its a pretty lean meat.....dont know how it would go in a batch of red. I know in my green, I dont want my pork too lean.
Hey I was back in your neck of the woods last weekend. 4 days 3 buschels of Maryland best blue crab and .....well i lost count of the 30 packs of adult beverage's. Conowingo.
Hotpepper--- I will take you advice and KISS, thanks

imaguitargod said:
1.gif

Hey isn't that Chuk in Austin after ingesting extract? :rolleyes:

Welcome Mr. Hillbilly!!

Thanks Bubba, I will head your advice regarding the floating grease. although my Maw (God rest her soul) used to say. " honey you aint eatin beans unless ya got grease on your elbows" wow I can still picture her there sopping the grease out of a bowl of green beans with those "handsquashed buttermilk biscuits" I grew up believing grease was "the nectar of the Gods";)
Sorry guess I got off track there....back to the red.
One thing that kinda confuses me is the fact the most of the judges are local yokels from the Monument area. These folks have no idea about the Texas style Red. A bunch of folks that have cooked in the past are not cooking this year due to the cooking guidelines of a sanctioned cookoff. Monument is a mid to upperclass area and those folks come up with some pretty elaborate dishes, which I'm sure you would not consider chili. My green has not placed according to the judges the past two years. The judges seem to reward the most unique,decorative
eliquintley garnished bowl of whatever they call it. I do however take pride in my two "People choice awards" To me...thats where to rubber hits the road. Its the chili people actually want to eat.
Wow sorry to go on ramblin here. I guess my point is that there will be alot of the same judges as in the past and I'm trying to cook up a good traditional red that will also appeal to the local judges.
I checked out your site btw....very cool. I'm sure you are appreciated in your community.

the site for the pod i cook for (side note next chili year i will be the great pepper or president of our club) is
www.ncchili.com

and please ramble you have no idea how much i am enjoying this.

my throw down chili one cook off i had a friend helping me and when it got time to drain off the grease im like.......nooo way to me it adds flavor....to me i try to get into the minds of what a judge would want...i know it imposible but i try...for example if im at a cook off where beer flows like the colorodo river...i go a little hotter...if its is a event where beer is not sold....kinda tame it down a hair.
looking forward to how you do
oh and i agree 100percent i have seval peoples choice number 1 awards and to me thats a special award.

cool site, looks like the state cham cookoff was fun. how did you place there partner? Congrats on the Great Pepper nomination.
Hell just yesterday I had a guy call me a great big pepper...err wait I think he said "pecker" or dick or something. :P
I had a friend of mine come over for a good country breakfast once and in passing thru the kitchen while the wife was preparing gravy he felt in neccessary to....for some unknown reason.... put a paper towel on the plate that my wife was placing the bacon on.:cheers: under the bacon, What the heck:!: She ran him out of the kitchen quick style:!: My wife wont let me have him back over. I tried to calm her down since he WAS the best man at our wedding, but she's not bending on this one at all. I miss and all but when I think about it my wife was right. What ever happened to your friend?
good advice on heat content, my prob is that the brew is always flowing in my tent so I have a tendency to spice it up to my taste.

last year i placed 3rd in the state which was a automatic qualifier for terlingua(international championship) this year i droped down to like 5th or 6th i placed 2nd in showmanship and 2nd in freestyle.
only other peice of advise is take a horse shoe and shove it where the sun don't shine when the cups go to the judging its a gamble...judging is so weird
ive always belived that if you take the same chili and the same judges and run the same table the next day you will have a different result.
anywho looking forward to hearing how you do....wish i would have picked the right numbers for the lotto i would fly out there and help you out.

Thanks bubba, Still gotta couple of days to pick the right lotto#s. I'll pick ya up at the airport. Hey bro I just tried to send you an e-mail and it wouldnt go thru. You still using the mwilliams adress?

Back