labels Critique my labels as well please?

Would love some 'expert' opinions on my new set of labels as well, if you please. I know the glaring missing component is a bar code right not. At this stage, I am concentrating on mail order and or farmers markets / live events. When I gain some traction, future labels will have bar codes... Also, my original labels had (what i thought) were witty little paragraphs telling you what the sauce is good on....I changed my opinion on all that....Hot sauce people are smart. they know what it goes on...lol

My last comment is, if these are for 5 oz bottles (the first ones) it looks like when printed, some of that type is going to be tiiiinnnny. I can read it now but on my screen the label is taller than a 5 oz bottle itself. Make sure you print tests! For all labels and sizes. Actually wrap the bottles. I think there are some issues there.

The Hot Pepper said:
My last comment is, if these are for 5 oz bottles (the first ones) it looks like when printed, some of that type is going to be tiiiinnnny. I can read it now but on my screen the label is taller than a 5 oz bottle itself. Make sure you print tests! For all labels and sizes. Actually wrap the bottles. I think there are some issues there.

funny- I was JUST holding a 5 oz woozie up to my screen for that same comparison. My red flag on font sizes just grew to table-cloth size. heh

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Please note, I say what I see, knee-jerk. I don't filter for hurt feelings because I'm offering an honest opinion on your labels. So don't get all butt hurt defensive if I say something you don't like. You and I can disagree and still be friends - it's just a disagreement. :cheers:

ALL GOOD. IM A BIG BOY. POSTED IT IN HERE CAUSE I WANTED HONEST FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE IN THE BIZ. MY BUTT IS SAFE! :)

So that disclaimer out of the way, these labels don't entirely appeal to me, but I think they're fixable. I am trying to put my finger on what it is. Several major issues stand out to me - all correctable. There are a lot of sound ideas here, but IMO it needs a designer's touch to be massaged into something more coherent and directed. 

UNDERSTOOD. YOUR OPINION IS JUST AS VALUABLE AS MINE OR ANYONE ELSES! 

For one, you don't frame in the poem (romance panel) - or the logo/name for that matter. It's all kinda 1-layer that blends together to my eye. For another, there is no romance panel - just a poem or words. Please - give a description, You say "Hot sauce people are smart. they know what it goes on...lol" - that's great and all, but why limit yourself to that? You only want chileheads to buy your sauce? The world's a big place full of dumb people who need to be told what to do with your sauce. It's a cornerstone of marketing - provide suggested uses. If you want to sell your sauce, tell people what to pair them with. For the ketchup, tell people to use it on french fries, even if that seems like the most intuitive thing ever. Trust me on this - while sad to lack fath in humanity to know their ass from a hole in the ground, the best marketing advice is to assume they do not, and provide a photo diagram of ass and ground hole with detailed instructions. lol 

WE'RE ALL DOOMED, BUT I SEE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. I JUST HATE WASTING THE LITTLE SPACE I HAD TO CREATE SOMETHING THAT APPEALED TO MY EYE ON SOMETHING SO BASIC....SHOULD I INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO UNSCREW THE CAP? LOL

Next - at a glance I don't know it's hot sauce. The only product that says what it is would be your ketchup. I know it's spicy ketchup - it says it right there in big friendly letters. But your others? If I'm not familiar with varietal peppers (and the vast majority of people are not) then I have no idea what your sauce is. You have big font saying "...A Gemeni------production" - you have zero font saying "Hot Sauce". Must have. Again - I'm a chilehead. I know what a Fatali or Ghost Pepper is. Most people don't.  So you have to tell people what it is. 

Edited to add - I just saw the "Hot Sauce" - wow - it's kinda buried up there, which is why I missed it. That's a challenge with a bold colorful label and a flat background. I would strongly consider relocating the "Hot Sauce" to under the product names. 

I WILL MOVE HOT SAUCE TO A MORE VISIBLE SPOT! SMART CALL.

Another note on font size - some of your fonts are painfully small for my old eyes. That will be an issue with things like Nutrition Panel and unit of measure (e.g. 5 FL OZ) because they're regulated by the local inspector of your PA. I had to change one of mine to white, make them all bold, and increase the font sizes across the board. So I'll save you that headache by bringing attention to it now. If any of your fonts start to get "squinty small", you should probably think about increasing the size. 

ANOTHER THING I WILL WORK ON WHILE STILL MAINTAINING A CLEAN OPEN LOOK.

Finally heat indicator. I have no idea how hot any of these sauces are because you haven't told me. When I first made labels I thought "I'll just put a little thermometer on the side" - that bit me. I ended up revising my labels so on the front it says "hot, med, mild, extra hot" etc. I also have the thermometer on the side, and in the Romance Panel description I tell people how hot they each are in anecdotal form "this dog has bite!" or "respectable heat" or other colorful ways of conveying it. So I've told people 3 times on the bottle how hot they are. This is critical - people tend to fear hot sauce right now because of the vast amounts of "shock value" marketing in the sauce world. You need to tell people "this is a food product that you should use on food. You won't win a bet or get 1,000,000 hits on YouTube for eating a tsp."  I mean - not in those words, but the label is your vehicle to communicate with your audience - you need to package your messages and tell them what they are holding in their hand. I think you're missing almost all of that. It's a nifty cool poem and a cool watermark crow - I like that stuff. And it kinda has that Gothic feel to it, but all you're telling me is that. The kethup is the only sauce that I know what it is at a glance. 

I WILL WORK IN THE HOT LEVEL IN THERE SOMEWHERE. KIND OF DIFFICULT IN MY MIND....MY WIFE THINKS THE SPICY KETCHUP IS TOO SPICY, YET TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAD HAD IT, DONT FEEL IT IS HOT AT ALL....I GUESS IT IS SUBJECTIVE....

Again - I offer all of this as constructive - I tend to be acerbic but it's all based from a good place. You're right about Ann - she rocks and was instrumental in helping me to get off the ground, which is a big reason why I do what I can to help others. If I come off like a jerk with any of this, that's not my intention - just calling it like I see it. I think there are excellent pieces to these labels. You have a consistent broad theme that's easily expandable and uniform across all products. That's hard to do, so well done there. 

THANK YOU. 

Now you need to add some design cues so it draws the viewer in and focuses the eye on the crow & the product name, and add "hot sauce" somewhere I'll see it, like above the FL OZ and below the names (except the ketchup, since you broke theme there and just named it Spicy Ketchup)  - and you need to tell me heat levels for the products. 

THATS THE NEW PLAN!

And I do love the watermark raven / Gothic font thing, even though I think it's a bit overdone these days. People like it though so while it's not my style, I do think it works with the paper/watermark. 

I also agree with THP about the burnt/aged paper look - that might be interesting to see. 

I'LL ASK MY DESIGNER TO EXPERIMENT A BIT.

1. Agree with SL about "Devil His Due" - when you explain it, I get it. When I first read it I thought it read poorly and I wondered about the grimmer. The meaning was also not intuitive. If I'm looking at it on a shelf at a store I wouldn't get it. 
I'LL THINK ABOUT IT. I KIND OF DIG THE NAME, AS IS....IF WE FIX UP THE OTHER LITTLE ASPECTS, THEN THE NAME ITSELF SHOULDN'T BE AS MUCH OF A MAKE OR BREAK FACTOR.

2. On that same label, the shading is inconsistent with your other labels. On the other 3, there's a "3D" kind of shading to the product names - the Devil His Due looks flat comparatively. 

Oop - another thing...

Labels 1 & 3 say "all natural"

Label #2 does not. 

I HAD POSTED ANOTHER THREAD IN REGARDS TO WHEN YOU CAN CONSIDER A HOT SAUCE ALL NATURAL OR NOT....WITH THE INCLUSION OF THE XANTHUM GUM OR SODIUM BENZOATE, IT SEEMED THE MAJORITY SAID THAT IT IS NOT ALL NATURAL AT THAT STAGE...

Label 4 is the spicy ketchup which you said contains high fructose corn syrup (and I agree with the boss on that one too - list it, don't say another word about it) so not all natural. 

DONE AND DONE.

But reading ingredients of #s 1 & 3 I don't see where they're not all natural? 

Also speaking of ingredients, you'll need to list them by order of content. It appears they're not that way. 

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BLACK BERRY BELLE, THATS HOW THE INGREDIENTS WERE PRESENTED TO ME FROM THE PLANT.
:)

I also need to rephrase something I said earlier - even as a chilehead I want to know what the flavor profile & pairings are with a given hot sauce. If it says "great on eggs, pizza, oysters!" that's gonna go a long way towards my purchase. I will get to thinking of ways to use them. But the other aspect of a romance pannel is you can give me an idea about the flavor profiles.

Here are things that help the consumer make a purchase decision:
Is the vinegar muted or is it a vinegary sauce (note: both are ok, but if I like one and it's the other I'll be disappointed in my purchase)
Is the sauce savory? Sweet? Other? 
Is the sauce garlicy?
How strong of a blackberry flavor is it? Is it a spicy pancake syrup type sauce or a very subtle barely detectable note of subtle bliss? 
Is this sauce salty? Does it emulate an existing category (e.g. Louisiana style)? 

And then heat levels. Can't stress this one enough. Even chileheads want to know how hot it is. 

WILL DISCUSS WITH MY DESIGNER AS WELL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTENSE AND THOROUGH FEEDBACK. IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!  ALL OF YOU'SE!!!!!!

GeminiCrow said:
Finally heat indicator. I have no idea how hot any of these sauces are because you haven't told me. When I first made labels I thought "I'll just put a little thermometer on the side" - that bit me. I ended up revising my labels so on the front it says "hot, med, mild, extra hot" etc. I also have the thermometer on the side, and in the Romance Panel description I tell people how hot they each are in anecdotal form "this dog has bite!" or "respectable heat" or other colorful ways of conveying it. So I've told people 3 times on the bottle how hot they are. This is critical - people tend to fear hot sauce right now because of the vast amounts of "shock value" marketing in the sauce world. You need to tell people "this is a food product that you should use on food. You won't win a bet or get 1,000,000 hits on YouTube for eating a tsp."  I mean - not in those words, but the label is your vehicle to communicate with your audience - you need to package your messages and tell them what they are holding in their hand. I think you're missing almost all of that. It's a nifty cool poem and a cool watermark crow - I like that stuff. And it kinda has that Gothic feel to it, but all you're telling me is that. The kethup is the only sauce that I know what it is at a glance. 

I WILL WORK IN THE HOT LEVEL IN THERE SOMEWHERE. KIND OF DIFFICULT IN MY MIND....MY WIFE THINKS THE SPICY KETCHUP IS TOO SPICY, YET TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAD HAD IT, DONT FEEL IT IS HOT AT ALL....I GUESS IT IS SUBJECTIVE....

See that's just it - it is subjective. I label my "extra hot" with a "full thermometer" - I may well come up with a hotter one, but I don't expect people to think my thermometer is a scientific measure of heat. And I know full well that a chilehead will drink my extra hot like ketchup (I've heard everything from 4/10 to 8/10 from reviewers/customers) - my ratings are "generic consumer ratings" - how hot would it be to someone for whom Anaheims are spicy?  That, in my opinion, is how you need to label it for heat level. E.g. your wife is a genius and you should listen. Take a poll of 20 friends. Ask them to taste 1 tsp on a spoon, keep it in their mouth for 20 seconds before swallowing, give it 15 seconds and write the heat level down on a piece of paper, 1-10. Take the average of the responses and there you go - heat level. Done. But your products must have this. If you change nothing else, add a heat level.  

I also need to rephrase something I said earlier - even as a chilehead I want to know what the flavor profile & pairings are with a given hot sauce. If it says "great on eggs, pizza, oysters!" that's gonna go a long way towards my purchase. I will get to thinking of ways to use them. But the other aspect of a romance pannel is you can give me an idea about the flavor profiles.

Here are things that help the consumer make a purchase decision:
Is the vinegar muted or is it a vinegary sauce (note: both are ok, but if I like one and it's the other I'll be disappointed in my purchase)
Is the sauce savory? Sweet? Other? 
Is the sauce garlicy?
How strong of a blackberry flavor is it? Is it a spicy pancake syrup type sauce or a very subtle barely detectable note of subtle bliss? 
Is this sauce salty? Does it emulate an existing category (e.g. Louisiana style)? 

And then heat levels. Can't stress this one enough. Even chileheads want to know how hot it is. 

WILL DISCUSS WITH MY DESIGNER AS WELL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTENSE AND THOROUGH FEEDBACK. IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!  ALL OF YOU'SE!!!!!!

Traditionally the romance panel is where that "uses" statement would go, along with a flowery description of the product. That's the space where you have the poem/thinggies now. 

I know you love the poems - I do too. But 5 oz bottles are very small. Real estate is precious. Use it to SELL the sauce. If I'm in the store picking up a bottle of this sauce, I am going to turn around to the romance panel to read how the manufacturer describes it. If I do that and I start reading a poem or abstract statement of some sort, I guarantee you I will think "what the f*ck? What the hell am I supposed to use this shiz on?!? What kind of sauce is it?" and then I'm going to put it down and buy something else. If I see "blackberry" then I am going to assume that it is one of those "way too sweet, gimmicky desert sauces that I put on ice cream" - and since I don't do that, I wouldn't buy it. Again, just an example. If the blackberry sauce is not like that, then it's on you to tell me because I'm not gonna throw $5-7 away to find out.  You MUST communicate with your audience. You have about a 1 1/4" X 3" space to do it. Choose your words carefully. 

Is my romance panel perfect? Far from it - but it does the trick and hits on all the notes - and I get feedback from customers telling me "I never would have thought to put it on pizza and it's the best thing ever!" - bam, that sells more sauce because the consumer is using more of it on more things. I have used hot sauce on pizza my whole life. From talking to 1000s of people a day at my 4 farmer's markets a week I can tell you with authority that is not the case for everyone. Some folks are new to hot sauce. Some folks simply never thought to use it on anything other than tacos or burritos. And I'm in CA where spicy food is everywhere. Is your sauce good on Indian food? Italian? Greek? Ice cream? Kale? Whatever it is, suggest the use so people can make that association. You need to lead them to water to make them drink. 

See that's just it - it is subjective. I label my "extra hot" with a "full thermometer" - I may well come up with a hotter one, but I don't expect people to think my thermometer is a scientific measure of heat. And I know full well that a chilehead will drink my extra hot like ketchup (I've heard everything from 4/10 to 8/10 from reviewers/customers) - my ratings are "generic consumer ratings" - how hot would it be to someone for whom Anaheims are spicy?  That, in my opinion, is how you need to label it for heat level. E.g. your wife is a genius and you should listen. Take a poll of 20 friends. Ask them to taste 1 tsp on a spoon, keep it in their mouth for 20 seconds before swallowing, give it 15 seconds and write the heat level down on a piece of paper, 1-10. Take the average of the responses and there you go - heat level. Done. But your products must have this. If you change nothing else, add a heat level.  

Traditionally the romance panel is where that "uses" statement would go, along with a flowery description of the product. That's the space where you have the poem/thinggies now. 

I know you love the poems - I do too. But 5 oz bottles are very small. Real estate is precious. Use it to SELL the sauce. If I'm in the store picking up a bottle of this sauce, I am going to turn around to the romance panel to read how the manufacturer describes it. If I do that and I start reading a poem or abstract statement of some sort, I guarantee you I will think "what the f*ck? What the hell am I supposed to use this shiz on?!? What kind of sauce is it?" and then I'm going to put it down and buy something else. If I see "blackberry" then I am going to assume that it is one of those "way too sweet, gimmicky desert sauces that I put on ice cream" - and since I don't do that, I wouldn't buy it. Again, just an example. If the blackberry sauce is not like that, then it's on you to tell me because I'm not gonna throw $5-7 away to find out.  You MUST communicate with your audience. You have about a 1 1/4" X 3" space to do it. Choose your words carefully. 

Is my romance panel perfect? Far from it - but it does the trick and hits on all the notes - and I get feedback from customers telling me "I never would have thought to put it on pizza and it's the best thing ever!" - bam, that sells more sauce because the consumer is using more of it on more things. I have used hot sauce on pizza my whole life. From talking to 1000s of people a day at my 4 farmer's markets a week I can tell you with authority that is not the case for everyone. Some folks are new to hot sauce. Some folks simply never thought to use it on anything other than tacos or burritos. And I'm in CA where spicy food is everywhere. Is your sauce good on Indian food? Italian? Greek? Ice cream? Kale? Whatever it is, suggest the use so people can make that association. You need to lead them to water to make them drink. 

check out, www.geminicrow.com and look under the sauces....the paragraphs there are the text i had on the original versions of the label....what do you think of those? i'd re-work them a bit obviously based on what I learned today, but do you feel that is the direction?

"See that's just it - it is subjective. I label my "extra hot" with a "full thermometer" - I may well come up with a hotter one, but I don't expect people to think my thermometer is a scientific measure of heat."  This is by far the hardest part for any one in the pepper industry. When I label one of my powders a 5, it very well may be a 10 to 50% of the population. I love asking the following question to people directly, what is the hottest pepper you love? 90% of the time it is jalapeno and 5% might be a habanero and the last 5% might actually name a super hot. 

I wish you luck fine tuning you labels, make the branding aspects consistent and let the sauce speak for itself!

I also checked out your site.

"The Jolokia ghost pepper is considered the hottest pepper in the world. Don't believe us? Watch     these videos! Eating a Jolokia Ghost Pepper & Jock Jolokia Pepper Eater. Please eat with caution!!!! "

This may be a bit outdated for select few, perhaps not for the masses :) 

DANG!  I missed the heat indicator!  Nice catch by LDHS and I agree, even chileheads, or even moreso for chileheads, heat levels are important.

When trying to ascertain your product's heat level, compare it to a known sauce like Tapatio or Tabasco.  Whether or not they like the flavor of those sauces, pretty much everyone can relate to "Tabasco is nuclear for me" or "I drink a bottle of Tabasco for breakfast".  If you do a sampling session, include a couple of these for benchmarks.   

When you spend some time sampling to the GenPop, you'll see that heat scales for the public are about 2 notches lower than we here on THP would rate a product.  Just keep that in mind when setting your Heat numbers. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
"This is by far the hardest part for any one in the pepper industry. When I label one of my powders a 5, it very well may be a 10 to 50% of the population. I love asking the following question to people directly, what is the hottest pepper you love? 90% of the time it is jalapeno and 5% might be a habanero and the last 5% might actually name a super hot. 
I agree - when people ask "how hot is it?" I usually respond with a range, and qualify it with "depending on your tolerance for capsaicin".

Basically a nice way of saying "it's your mouth - you tell me how hot it is."
;)

Love the suggested uses. 

Like the heat rating on the "romance panel" but you'll also want to add to the front. You have a lot of empty real estate there so it should not be that hard. At a glance, maybe directly under the "blackberry habanero" banner since that's now empty? Just "HOT" would work. You'd of course have to be consistent across all of your products. 

I also really like the way the "All Natural Hot Sauce" banner sort of phantom-frames in the product name & bird silhouette. It's a subtle change, but REALLY helps to focus my eye to the center of the label as it hints at an oval shape. You also framed in with that shadowbox which looks awesome. 

think there's a lot of improvement here. Really coming together - I like it a lot. Nice job! :cheers: 

To play on "The Devil His Due," how about "The Devil's Dew?" This implies a fiery liquid while playing on the old idiom. It's a slam dunk!

Actually, I thought it sounded good, but I just Googled and there's one out there. So much for that.

Much Better!  

ready for more nitpicking? 

If you can, heat level gauges should have a reference 4/5, 8/10, thermometer, colored chile thermometer., something to let the customer know.  What's "HOT" to one is "is there a chile in this sauce" to others.  It would be very easy to make it read " HOT 7/10 " for that line.   

I actually read the text on the left side this time....not sure about the "fly on the wall" reference on a food product????  Kind of like the image of a fat slob sitting on a couch for the "Sofa King" Hot Sauce.  Anyway, if no one else worries about it then never mind~~~  :)  I can see a quote working into a theme for each different sauce.

What's with the "w" in CroW at the very top?  Looks like an "n" and "v" merged???  I definitely like the regular spelling of that line though as opposed to the French version.   

Lastly-  The center panel looks top heavy/unbalanced to me.  I'd like to see a version where the BLACKBERRY and BELLE are distributed evenly between the two top and bottom banners (or slightly separated) and the shadow crow is centered behind them. 

I'm NOT a graphics designer or whatever, so if your Pro says it's better to have it another way for some reason (catch the eye, etc) then go with the Pro!  The feel of the label looks good, the fonts are easy to read (except for that "w" at the top), it's looking like all the correct information is on there (but that's up to your AHJ).

Thanks for sharing.

Alright, people!  I didn't add 'Hot' to the middle panel. This stage of the game, I am going to be present and offering samples when selling the sauce (outside of the random curiousity online order), so I don't feel the need to go overboard with that. If I get into stores, it's easy enough to add down the line...

I think it's a mistake. I understand you're doing 1:1 sales at first, but i speak from experience.

I thought "well, I'm coloring the labels differently & putting the thermometer on the side". No one else caught it here at THP either on my ongoing "request for feedback" topic(s). They all just said "Fire-Roasted Hot Pepper Sauce" on the bottom front. "The thermometer will be fine!" I thought. Probably because I'd spent so much time viewing the label as a flat image, not affixed to a round bottle.

Then I made the sauce and customers at my farmers markets CONSTANTLY asked how hot they each were. It was so so so tiresome and it distracted from the tasting. It also took up valuable conversation - you only have so much attention of any given customer - better to use that time to talk sauce rather than heat level.

And then the worst: I had a reviewer who was color blind. He saw 3 shades of gray.

Now they all read "Mild Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce", "Medium Fire-Roasted...", "Hot Fire-Roasted", etc.

I will never fail to put critical consumer information right on the front panel of my products. I cannot recommend enough for you to do this. Sure it's easy to change later - but why do that when you can so easily change it now, long before you tire of it becoming a point of discussion with every sale you make?

Just food for thought. :cheers:

I think it's a mistake. I understand you're doing 1:1 sales at first, but i speak from experience.

I thought "well, I'm coloring the labels differently & putting the thermometer on the side". No one else caught it here at THP either on my ongoing "request for feedback" topic(s). They all just said "Fire-Roasted Hot Pepper Sauce" on the bottom front. "The thermometer will be fine!" I thought. Probably because I'd spent so much time viewing the label as a flat image, not affixed to a round bottle.

Then I made the sauce and customers at my farmers markets CONSTANTLY asked how hot they each were. It was so so so tiresome and it distracted from the tasting. It also took up valuable conversation - you only have so much attention of any given customer - better to use that time to talk sauce rather than heat level.

And then the worst: I had a reviewer who was color blind. He saw 3 shades of gray.

Now they all read "Mild Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce", "Medium Fire-Roasted...", "Hot Fire-Roasted", etc.

I will never fail to put critical consumer information right on the front panel of my products. I cannot recommend enough for you to do this. Sure it's easy to change later - but why do that when you can so easily change it now, long before you tire of it becoming a point of discussion with every sale you make?

Just food for thought. :cheers:
fair enough.... i will make it happen!   :party:

Don't stray from the original, it popped and was ominous. Looked old and mysterious. What's with the candy colors? Looks like Sour Skittles.

sour_skittles.jpg

You were almost there man. Don't go candy colored. Stay dark an ominous with the olde world feel. That's what made it unique. I liked the bright color as the title only, it popped and also let you know what flavor it was.

Back