labels Critique my labels as well please?

Would love some 'expert' opinions on my new set of labels as well, if you please. I know the glaring missing component is a bar code right not. At this stage, I am concentrating on mail order and or farmers markets / live events. When I gain some traction, future labels will have bar codes... Also, my original labels had (what i thought) were witty little paragraphs telling you what the sauce is good on....I changed my opinion on all that....Hot sauce people are smart. they know what it goes on...lol

Labels look good. 

Re: bottle with cork, I doubt a PA authority will allow a cork as a closure.  I asked about it for a charity collector sauce and was told that if it was for a collector bottle that's not intended to be opened and eaten, it would be OK, but the PA was not very open to using a cork on a sauce that was intended to be eaten.

But every PA is different, just thought I'd give you a heads up what might be said.  I'd get approval of it from you PA before investing $$ in bottles etc.  You can probably find the same shape with a screw top.  Also, make sure the labels will fit the bottle.   

ps- when I first saw the bottle, I thought it was a tequila bottle.  I was going to say you done good to get all those labels done on just one bottle~  :lol:

Thanks for the tidbit. I shall ask... Still trying to secure a kitchen and I think I found a PA to oversee the entire process....Just trying to make sure it is cost effective...

I heard that some people soak the corks in alcohol for a day or so then dry em out to 'sterilize' them...Wonder if that would be OK? I have a blackberry brandy, which would add a nice aura to the whole package....

worst case, i'll find another bottle with a metal cap to use!

thanks as always!

I love your labels and really like your concept but I would put the heat rating right on the front too. We made this mistake with our first two sauces (admittedly they are both the same pepper blend), we do have a heat scale on the side but are constantly asked which is the milder, even though one is black with flames and the other pink with flowers. We are putting the final touches on our third label and are righting this mistake. We'll also be righting another mistake which was not asking the opinion of THPers before printing (you are smarter than me!).

Also do you not have to have a phone # on your labels? we were told we had to.

We'll also be righting another mistake which was not asking the opinion of THPers before printing (you are smarter than me!).
We're all smarter with the benefit of hindsight. ;)

Also do you not have to have a phone # on your labels? we were told we had to.
CA it's just the business address, but state to state it varies.

Re: cork - synthetic might work. Alcohol-soaked is ok for a hobbyist - and will likely be safe. But there's little chance that gets approved by a PA. Check, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I like the new labels, but something about the font for "burn" is off-putting. The way it leans is distracting and you didn't capitalize it.

I like the concept, I just don't think that font is a great fit.

Otherwise looking good!
I also think the color for the fiery catsup name is too dark - it kinda mutes against the background. The others pop - this one doesn't.

My $.02

Re: cork - synthetic might work. Alcohol-soaked is ok for a hobbyist - and will likely be safe. But there's little chance that gets approved by a PA. Check, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Not a big deal either way....I can find something with a metal cap if need be....These were easily attainable and returnable as well, so it wont be a deal breaker :)

I like the new labels, but something about the font for "burn" is off-putting. The way it leans is distracting and you didn't capitalize it.

We tried it with a capital 'B' and it just doesnt look good at all....i do like the font, although it goes slightly against the rest of the fonts on the label.

I like the concept, I just don't think that font is a great fit.

Otherwise looking good!
I also think the color for the fiery catsup name is too dark - it kinda mutes against the background. The others pop - this one doesn't.

We are brightening up the brown, but as of now it matches the actual color of the ketchup which is kind of what i was hoping for...

My $.02

Always appreciated!!!

I recall a Kickstarter campaign where the guy used cork and almost everything he shipped leaked.  I'm not sure if he was using wax or fixed it w/ wax, but you may want to look into that.  Also, I believe 5 oz - 148 ml, not 143 ml.

Ken

I'm assuming something happened to image #2, the whole image is lighter; the blacks are grey, the parchment is lighter, etc.

Also on the side panel of Blackberry Belle, put Belle on the same line as Blackberry since that's the sauce name.

Lastly, I don't like the all caps font on the side. I realize the first letter is a tad taller but it still looks like internet yelling.

Overall, very nice.

PepperDaddy said:
I recall a Kickstarter campaign where the guy used cork and almost everything he shipped leaked.  I'm not sure if he was using wax or fixed it w/ wax, but you may want to look into that.  

A wax seal wouldn't fix it - the problem isn't leakage (although that IS a problem) the problem is the stuff that can grow in the little nooks and crannies of the cork. 

nooks and crannies are great for an English muffin, but terrible for a hot sauce capping method. 
;)
The Hot Pepper said:
Lastly, I don't like the all caps font on the side. I realize the first letter is a tad taller but it still looks like internet yelling.

I agree with this - I meant to mention I forgot to do so. Mixed case seems conversational - all-caps seems confrontational. 
;)

The Hot Pepper said:
I'm assuming something happened to image #2, the whole image is lighter; the blacks are grey, the parchment is lighter, etc.

FILE DAMAGE WHEN I UPLOADED IT...IT IS FINE NOW :)

Also on the side panel of Blackberry Belle, put Belle on the same line as Blackberry since that's the sauce name.

SMART IDEA.

WE'LL PLAY AROUND WITH IT. AS SMALL AS THE TEXT IS ON A BOTTLE, IT'S HARD ENOUGH TO READ AS IS, BUT MAUBE WE CAN DO SOMETHING...

Overall, very nice.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

graphics programs can shrink and enlarge letters so a capital "B" can be the same size as small letters "urn".  might be something to look at. 

My issue was the all caps font not the first letter size.

TRY THIS SAUCE

Try this sauce on eggs, chicken

Looks like shouting.

imo

On the "Burn" label it says: "Made from the finest gluten free habanero peppers..."

Is that a typo or do you really mean to say that?

Best to take it out - a white lie that will dent your cred somewhat.

Also on that same label... it's complement, not compliment. Compliment is when someone says something nice about you.

All duly noted!
Unfort,  had to go into production with the first round of labels, so I can get the pre-orders out the door and in the hands prior to x-mas.  i did a small first run, which I can fix for the next round which looks like will be in early January!

Nice looking line up!

Looking at the final labels, on your next run, I'd suggest re-positioning the Fiery Catsup words so they are one word per line so the words are fully visible on the front panel.  As is, the start and end of the words are obscured around the curve of the bottle. 

OK!  Enough nitpicking....Enjoy your very nice looking professional labels!  And Sell! Sell! Sell!!!  :dance:

Back