• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3monic's Crossing Project/Community Grow

Click for Currently Crossed ListWill keep it updated as new crosses are added.

Butch T Yellow and Bahamian Goat won the poll!
  1. Aji Omni Color (4 votes [8.16%]
  2. bullet_star_rated.png
     Bahamian Goat (14 votes [28.57%]
  3. bullet_star_rated.png
     Butch T Yellow (9 votes [18.37%]
  4. Aji Crystal (3 votes [6.12%] 
  5. Caribbean Red Habanero (3 votes [6.12%]
  6. Paper Lantern Habanero (7 votes [14.29%] 
  7. Bolsa De Dulce (3 votes [6.12%]
  8. White Bhut (6 votes [12.24%] 

Alrighty folks! It's almost plant out time and that means that my basement and lights are going to be freed up for some crossing projects through the summer. 

I have 4 DWC buckets available for growing peppers indoors all summer. (not to mention racks for seedling growout)
2 spots are already taken by White Fatalii and CGN-21500.

These Plants will be the Base for all my other crosses. Meaning that I will use pollen from plants that are outdoors in the rest of my collection crossed with these. These will be tagged and harvested and grown out in the basement to choose phenos. I'm planning on going for taste more than heat. 

Plants to choose from  

My biggest focus will be crossing the White Fatalii with CGN-21500 but will do plenty of other crosses with them as well. 

Here is my entire grow list and potential candidates to be crossed with my final choices (hope that makes sense)

Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Jays Peach Scorpion
Fatalii
Bonda ma Jaques
Butch T Yellow
Sweet Datil
Bulsa de dulce
Aji Omni-color
Aji Limon
Fidalga Roxa
White Bullet Hab
Paper Lantern Hab.
Jamaican Hot Chocolate hab.
White Fatalii
White Bhut jolokia
Urfa Biber
Inca Berry
Caribbean Red Hab
Aji Pineapple
BG7
Orange Wild Brazil
Goatsweed
Chocolate Habanero
Mystery Hababhut?
Scotch Bonnets
Taquila Sunrise "Hot"
Fooled you jalapeno
Yellow Primo
White Devils tongue
7pot Yellow brainstrain
Trinidad Giant yellow congo
Bahamian goat
Aji Crystal
Cumari do Para
Carolina Reaper
7pot Yellow
Yaki brown
Xalapa Jalapeno
Pink Tiger 
Criola Sella
7pot White 
Tepin X Lemon drop (iso) F2 
Aji Amarillo 
MOA Scotch Bonnet 
Champion (baccatum)
Large Orange Thai (growdown throwdown)
Yellow bhut
Australian Lantern Habanero
CGN-21500
Carbonero

Once the poll is complete Thursday night- the two winning plants will be moved to the hydro system and this thread will serve as my grow log for this project. 

Y'all are more than welcome to offer suggestions as to what you would like to see crossed with what as well. I'm sure I will be sharing seeds with most of you at some point (prolly F2? maybe some F1's)

So I decided to taste test the runty little pod on the n7pybs x butch T yellow. 

obviously no seeds, had a very light chinense smell, taste was grassy/bell with more scorpion than 7pot flavor but a mild heat in a roof of the mouth burn. Kept feeling like it was going to get really hot  but didn't. Maybe cayenne-low hab level. Of course this was a runt so a full size pod might be a different story

D3monic said:

yea even if they are runts, my bahamian goat is producing hundreds of pods but all about the size of a quarter. I need to cut it back again as its starting to over take everything. Come spring i'm going to move it outdoors into a half barrel and see how it does. 
I need to cut back my over winters. They are getting a bit unruly. Especially my Tepin x Lemon drop. It's going into the lights. It has a bunch of pods on it though, so I'll wait until I can pull them off.

What's the best way you've found to collect pollen? I have a bunch of flowers on my overwinters and want to save some for crossing later.

I have limited experience but so far using vials and freezing has worked well for me. I ordered a bunch of vials, a storage box and some other stuff from this site. They are a pain to order from but wasn't too bad.  http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/store/category/14-bgi-hybridizing-and-propagating-/

I spotted the vials on amazon the other day but couldn't find them again. I just assign a number to the vials and keep a spreadsheet with who's pollen it is. Easier than trying to write a whole name on the tiny vial. 

To collect the pollen I look for flowers that have visible pollen, stuff the anthers into the vial opening using the petals as a stopper and tapa tapa tapa. I do that with as many flowers as are viable then pop in the freezers. A little bit of silica gel would be a good idea to remove any moisture. I tried using a grain of rice in some of them last year and the pollen just glued to the rice. 

Then when ready to use the pollen http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

Peter S said:
What's the best way you've found to collect pollen? I have a bunch of flowers on my overwinters and want to save some for crossing later.

Ah here we are, though it seems like it would be cheaper to order from above site but here's a amazon link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=1.5+ml+microcentrifuge+tubes

Here's my little organizer. Have my pollen (paint) brushes, marker, butter fly tags, pollen spreadsheet and on the right side there's usually a cross spreadsheet too that I use for keeping track of the crosses. I'll assign a letter and number to the tag that I can reference to the sheet. Like A1 or so on. I started with just letters but worked my way through the alphabet so had to start assigning numbers as well. 

Here's an example of the pollen spread sheet https://www.dropbox.com/s/voawtyfsiiizdxk/Pollen%20spreadsheet.xls?dl=0

here's an example of the cross spread sheet https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0iqsj9n2iebjcr/Pepper%20Cross%20spreadsheet.xls?dl=0

of course i'm sure they could be improved upon. 

Nice! Can't wait until we all have pods to compare... speaking of which, would love to see what Sentencedtoburns looks like at this point. They gotta be ripening soon

Peter S said:
Thanks for the info. Just ordered some vials and box from that place you linked. 
That plant marker they have is pretty nice too. Real fine point. Will see how ink holds up this summer.
Yellowfin2na said:
Demonic I've been out for a while. Glad to see your still at this! Good stuff.
Thanks ans welcome back!
Genetikx said:
Baha goat x butch t yellow is going to be triplets after all

Nice, I might pop a few seeds, see how they compare to the butch t x baha goat

D3monic said:
Nice, I might pop a few seeds, see how they compare to the butch t x baha goat
Ah that's why I've been confused. I have baha goat x butch t going and you have butch t x baha goat. Thanks for clearing that up

Ozzy2001 said:
Is the first plant the mother? Or something like that?
Yes first mother second father/pollen
Genetikx said:
Ah that's why I've been confused. I have baha goat x butch t going and you have butch t x baha goat. Thanks for clearing that up
Yea I did that one both ways

The Lemon Drop X Inca Berry plants are getting tons of pods, still no ripe ones but this seems to be the standard shape of both soil and DWC plants. The soil one has at least 60-70 pods, the DWC one has about 40. And there are still plenty of flowers on them.

Once I get a few ripe ones on both plants I'll do a taste test and chuck it up on my youtube channel. And will collect and send a heap of seeds for you as well ofcourse.

IMG_3428.jpg

SentencedToBurn said:
The Lemon Drop X Inca Berry plants are getting tons of pods, still no ripe ones but this seems to be the standard shape of both soil and DWC plants. The soil one has at least 60-70 pods, the DWC one has about 40. And there are still plenty of flowers on them.

Once I get a few ripe ones on both plants I'll do a taste test and chuck it up on my youtube channel. And will collect and send a heap of seeds for you as well ofcourse.

IMG_3428.jpg

That right there just got like spammed, thanks for the update! I can't wait to see what color they end up. Assume red but never know. Hopefully they taste good.

Back