beer D3's Newb Brew

grantmichaels said:
I fully intend to send Wheebz bottles in the next few weeks ...

I have five worth sending ... the sixth is the BBS wheat kit beer, and there's no real point sending that one since I don't know what it's made of ...
How will you send? I am assuming that if has to be ground shipping?

tctenten said:
How will you send? I am assuming that if has to be ground shipping?

Sending is "a thing" ...

Even thought the one time I sent a few bottles (up the corridor) I used USPS, I've read it's best to use UPS and FedEx because it's not technically illegal there, whereas it's technically illegal to ship alcohol USPS ...

That said, their rules don't preclude it ... they list things you have to declare, and alcohol isn't listed, so that's the counterpoint ...

I plan to send send the bottles to Wheebz via FedEx Ground or UPS, though ... since there will be more bottles ...
Ozzy2001 said:
Did you send Jay his stout yet?

Plan to send those, if it ever carbs ... it's not taking on the carb at service pressure readily ... been at like 10-11 psi for 8-9 days already, maybe more now, but it's really very carbonated ...

It's probably too thick to carb at normal pressure, LOL ...
Rairdog said:
I was waiting for you to start a thread also....come back and 4 pages.  Beer looks good. 

My thoughts FWIW

The fermenter and blow off jug can be on the same level.  Get and old pickle jar, jug or any container with a plastic lid and fill with sani.  Drill a hole in the lid to force blow off tube in so it won't pop out.  Drill another hole for escaping Co2 or just put the lid on loosely.  The tube end just needs to be under the liquid.  I was fighting the tube popping out as well. 

Don't get hung up on hops.  Just find a kit in the style you like.  I have not yet dry hopped and don't plan on it for a while.  That's just one more thing to go wrong until you get your technique and sanitizing down pat.  Dry hopping in the neck of a bottle would be a real pain.

I use a simple app (Wort) and plug all my hops/boil timing.  Hit start at beginning of boil and sounds a pre alarm and an alarm for adding which hop.  It helps to keep focused if you get side tracked.  I think Beersmith has one also.  Plugging in numbers, ingredients, timing and so forth helps to understand the process and memory.

Stick with small beers < 1.060 until you get comfortable technique and pitching yeast.  I have had faster starting bubbles/action with smack packs and rehydrating dry yeast.  I have saved yeast and made starters.  They worked but it was just another step to make me nervous and think I f....ed up. 

5 gal BIAB is so simple if you have the boiling capacity/heat source.  Your first few pics and basically the same process.  I keep looking at the other systems and there is no reason for me to go all out unless I move onto bigger beers. 

Keep it simple and move up instead of trying to clone that perfect beer and hop schedule.     

Missed this one, earlier ... I half agree.

On some levels, I'm simplifying my processes, and agree ...

But ... on another level, the killer beers in my freezer are the one's where everything was done very carefully to spec, and very thoroughly/deliberately ...

So ... IMHO, the reason to simplify is so that it's easier to brew accurately ...

The accuracy is key, though ... hitting all the numbers, temps, and times ... EVERYTHING.

Hit the liquor store and spent some money I didn't really have to spend. I had called around and found a place that had some gumballhead and by the time I got done bringing firewood in and other chores they was sold out. He still had some Alpha king left. 

I really like the head on alpha kind so I intentionally poured it a little rough. So thick and creamy I could eat it with a spoon. 

Next I'm trying the troublesome..... not a fan, after the alpha kind the light flavor and coriander in this beer honestly makes it taste like a corona... which is not what I ever imagine saying about a wheat beer. Corona with a splash of champagne 

What I do like is that they include brew info

Interesting about the lacto. I live in IN and have never tried 3 Floyds.  But I'm not a chaser of trends or style.  They do have a Gumball clone at my LHBS for 23 bucks.  1/2 the hops...but then again I'm not a hop chaser.   Gulp....of my PDG PA....with my approval of hops....I might try the g-ball clone. 

There's some really good brews at the brewery. One my favorites that i've tried there is Rune Priest. I'm certainly not a trend chaser either. I like some of their beers because they deserve it. A coworker of mine lived like two blocks away. We would run to wing stop have some wings and hit the brewery. 

I find myself attracted to Belgian style brews. 

Yum

listen you two non-trend chasing mofo's ...

3 floyds isn't trendy, it's popular ...

trendy means they're popularity isn't based on substance, but rather on hype ...

the not your father's brand is trendy ...

download (5).jpg

download (6).jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAD7Gz2f3Hs

grantmichaels said:
mmmmm ... i could go for that!

chicken caeser, here ...
 LOL I made chicken bacon ranch SD pizza earlier for the kid.  She loves CBR....and she didn't like it.  Me and Missy gobbled it up.  Freaking kids these days...All they want is chicken dipped in ranch. 

Post the recipe for that cabbage soup. I may like to produce that soon. Looks like a nice fall dish. 

Crooked tree is another good beer for the night. Head is sweet and hoppy, beer has a mid range bitter expected for a IPA. (sorry don't know how to articulate beer flavors lol) Very pleasant after taste. 

F@@k  ok....but I suck at giving recipes

2 links of smoked sausage cut up
1 Tbs bacon grease...or just veg oil
1 head of cabbage cut up
1 small onion
2-3 chopped garlic cloves
Pepper your choice

Brown the sausage in the oil in wok.  Make them brown....  Add the veggies to translucent...add cabbage and mix well.  Lower the heat and cover to steam.

In the meantime cut up

5 or 6 potatoes
4 or 5 carrots
3 or 4 stalks of celery
Thyme, basil, parsley....easy on the parsley

Place these in water until 1 inch above.  Set on high and boil it good.  Check the potatoes/carrot with a fork until the are almost done.

Then pack in the sausage/cabbage/veg mix.  Push it all down into the mix.  Let it simmer for a few.

The key to any good soup is the carmellization/browning of meat and then the (trinity) garlic, onion, pepper and celery.  I have tons of celery in the freezer so it is added at the pre boil.

You can just boil the whole recipe.  But I like to brown/caramelize to infuse flavors.  God ....that was work of the top of my head...Biotsh.....lol

So there doesn't seem to be any action from the ferment. No co2 bubbles and everything has settled out to a 1/8" thick white film in bottom. I'll take a gravity reading here in a bit. Probably time to airlock it?

D3monic said:
So there doesn't seem to be any action from the ferment. No co2 bubbles and everything has settled out to a 1/8" thick white film in bottom. I'll take a gravity reading here in a bit. Probably time to airlock it?
2 batches I left the blow off tube and one batch I put airlock. The consensus here was that it didn't make a difference either way.

Back