beer D3's Newb Brew

they are amazing to use during the many steps of your brewing process, but once you have alcohol in there, it changes

there are calculators and sheets and what not that correct for this, but they arent completely accurate like a hydrometer is

refractometers are awesome for determining sparge efficiency, conversion efficiency, boil efficiency, all that good stuff

wheebz said:
they are amazing to use during the many steps of your brewing process, but once you have alcohol in there, it changes

there are calculators and sheets and what not that correct for this, but they arent completely accurate like a hydrometer is

refractometers are awesome for determining sparge efficiency, conversion efficiency, boil efficiency, all that good stuff

Sean Terrill said in a podcast that it takes 10x measurements to get a wort correction factor that's only accurate to +/- .5% ABV (not very good), and 150x to get a WCF that's accurate to +/- .25% ABV ...

That's a lot of brewing and tracking, just to be able to check FG with a refractometer ...

And then, the refractometers are pretty cheaply made, so I could imagine the device 'evolving' over that time and throwing it off ...

I'll stick to my FG hydrometer ... it's nice and easy to read, and easy to verify.

D3, what was the temp of the wort when you used the hydrometer for OG?  IDK if it's been mentioned but they are usually calibrated to 60f.  If you use hot wort there are calculators to adjust.  Most of the time when I check OG the wort is near 70 and that will change the reading by about 2 points.

FG reading does not matter.  What matters is that it stays the same and doesn't drop over a 3 day period.  Then you know it's finished.

Rairdog said:
D3, what was the temp of the wort when you used the hydrometer for OG?  IDK if it's been mentioned but they are usually calibrated to 60f.  If you use hot wort there are calculators to adjust.  Most of the time when I check OG the wort is near 70 and that will change the reading by about 2 points.

FG reading does not matter.  What matters is that it stays the same and doesn't drop over a 3 day period.  Then you know it's finished.

I don't remember now, it was pretty much room temp. 

Rairdog said:

Since I thought it was calibrated for 68F, we better find out for sure what that reference temp is =)

Well 2 points from room temp @ 68 to 60 ain't much.  If you take a sample at 100+ it means something....I just wanted to point that out in case some haven't read up on that part.  Most of the calculators are default to 60f unless you change them.

D3monic said:
At first I was like meh but it grew on me quick

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1008/
If you liked this, you MUST try this.  Best example of the style.  In fact all of you should. Guessing Wheebz already has.  

6943246856_79333a59dc_b.jpg

Sounds like a good beer. I grabbed a 12pack of warsteiner to try but was eyeballing this, any one vouch for it?

Doesn't seem to be raved over on beer advocate. I guess I won't bother trying it. 

When I get paid i'll see if I can find that aventinus, sounds good but having nut allergies I hate descriptions that indicate a nuttiness. Rationally I know there's not actually nuts in it but i'm not very rational and get scared lol. 

warsteiner is ok, i'm still craving the salty banana bread taste of the weizenbock I had. 

D3monic said:
When I get paid i'll see if I can find that aventinus, sounds good but having nut allergies I hate descriptions that indicate a nuttiness. Rationally I know there's not actually nuts in it but i'm not very rational and get scared lol. 

warsteiner is ok, i'm still craving the salty banana bread taste of the weizenbock I had. 
never know.  I've seen some recipes that have hazelnut extract.

Back