beer D3's Newb Brew

I followed the instructions and waited the two weeks. The issue with the small batches is taking the gravity readings. The guys that make the larger batches do not mind taking gravity readings to see when it is done fermenting.

Don't bother w/ airlock unless you want to tidy up the space or something ...

I don't use airlocks anymore, really ...

Maybe would for some mead or something ...
I followed the instructions and waited the two weeks. The issue with the small batches is taking the gravity readings. The guys that make the larger batches do not mind taking gravity readings to see when it is done fermenting.

i kind of hate taking readings ...

if i wasn't sharing the brew info, i could imagine not doing it ... easily ;)

with the refractometer taking readings not such a big deal but yea I could see using a hydrometer for it using up most your batch. So I got nothing to worry about if it's not doing anything in there. Don't need to stir up the settlement or anything?

I start with an air lock to see the action.  I also have 1-1.5 gallons of headspace for foam.  If it starts getting violent I plug the blow off tube into the 3 piece airlock.  Then I can take the tube off when it slows down for another batch and put the airlock back together.  3/8 ID tubing will fit inside the top.  5/8 ID will fit over the top.

totes, that's why i chose those words ... i've only had like st b. 12, westmalle, the chimays, and the classic examples in your preferred style ...

I was looking into Weizenbocks.  A couple points lower ABV/G and they are Dunkelweizens.  You would think, being a bock it would be lager yeast and a cool ferment but it uses the same German yeast as weiss and it is fermented around 62ish to get the banana/clove esters.  You could brew this with an America wheat yeast and knock out the banana/clove.  I welcome the banana non bitterness after pounding PA's for a while.  They are also very good mixed.     

Ok I think I figured out the problem with Hoegaarden. There was a slight label difference and for some reason the "Wit- Blanche" with the blue cap lacks the orange and coriander flavors that where so prevalent in the style I like and fell in love with. 

I need to keep my eyes open for the silver capped "Witbier-biere Blanche" Which technically are the same name one is just shortened but there seems to be a rather large flavor difference. Even though the label says the wit blanche has subtle hints of coriander and orange peel I detect no such things and leaves me with disappointment. 

That looks like it's down low enough to bottle ...

Unfortunately, I am not proficient in the ways of bottling ...

This is the beer that started pretty low, from the looks of it ...

I mean, I'm sure it's not fermenting anymore after two weeks ...

Let one of the bottlers chime in ...

I'd probably bottle it. There wasn't much sugar in there to start with anyway. I can't see it going down any further. You could probably put some champaign yeast in there and see if it goes down more. You're at about 2% ABV now so it would not be too harsh of an environment

ok, I got them bottled with the help of my lovely wife. Though i'm thinking I should of stirred up the yeast in the bottom a little to more evenly distribute it to all the bottles... that last one was a little milky lol. 

All capped and ready to go into hiding for another 2-3 weeks. Wife didn't do a very consistent fill job but that was my fault for not properly explaining it 

For future reference do I want to incorporate all that sediment and yeast into each bottle or intentionally leave it behind? My directions said nothing about the sediments. I mean I like a wheat beer with a little sediment and all but as much as there was even if I stirred up the jug there probably would have been a lot in each bottle. 

Leave it. Try to leave about an 1" airspace too. Too much airspace, can be too much oxygen. To little doesn't leave much room for CO2 to build up.

Yea directions on bottle filler said to fill to rim and when you pull hose out it leaves perfect amount of headspace but I didn't explain that to my gf.. she was too preoccupied with not spilling any lol. 

@2% alc i'll be drinking all 10 in one sitting to get the effect lol

You can't use a refractometer post fermentation

Said this in I don't know how many threads so far.
Ethanol has a completely different refractive index compared to just water and sugar.

Back