• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce DAVES INSANITY SAUCE - What do you think ?

Ok so I cracked a bottle to top a burger ! LUCKY I tasted it first !

Being one of Americas top selling Hot sauce Companies I thought it would be half good. The Mega death etc is similar, this is over the top!

This stuff really taste like extract with a bit of vinegar.
It was that bad that I have removed just about all of his stuff from my shop. I just going to give away what I had in stock.

Dose anyone here like this stuff ?? I don't hear much about it..

Nova wait till you get a mouth full, I am sure you will join my boycott.

I should have known when ingredients states "hot pepper extract " :rolleyes:

This is the stuff:
Daves%20Gourmet%20Insanity%20300.jpg

Boycott is a strong word just for not liking it.

It more the extract based sauces I have a grip with . And this is the worst I have tasted.
I still cant get my head around them, why not use fresh ?

Simple...cus It's cheaper. ;)

Yeah, it was the first really hot sauce I ever had back on 1996..but it's crappy poopoo IMO.

Well as a business it's just fine for you not to sell products you don't like, but boycotting it sounds a bit harsh.

Agreed...Dave's is a 'gateway' sauce..it's a big name taht gets ppl into hot sheet...that's a good thing.

And, he DOES have some very good sauces other than that one. Including his Ghost Pepper Jolokia Sauce.

*i'd still prefer CM's though.. ;)

Wrong choice of words I think. It was a little harsh , but i am just a little ticked that that can pass for a hot sauce. I still sell his boxed Jolokia sauce.
I am am truly disappointed is all.

Yeah, I was bitterly disappointed the first time I tried DIS. I just choose not to buy it or use it. Like 99% of you, I'm not a fan of extract-heavy sauces, but there are so many better ones than this, such as CaJohn's and Defcon.

I dont really care for extracts, their just pure heat with no flavor. I like lots of heat, but with good flavor.

Rick b

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
Genghis Kahn

I agree with most of what is posted here. Extract sauces (Defcon excluded) are highly overrated. I used to love Blair's products, but gave up because it's an extract company now and their base sauces are boring to me now. Same with Dave's. I do like the Hurtin Habanero honey mustard though. Boycotting the company is pretty pointless, but i do frown upon extracts. They just don't taste good. CaJohn's sauces, the non-extract ones, are damn hot and each have unique flavors. That's more important than anything.

So, Dave's need to improve the flavor and rethink the extracts. Quad's right though, it's a good gateway drug for future chileheads.

I will still try ALL of his sauces, only now.... I know what he is capable of. And fear they will all be the same.
I know you can get the heat in there without them ! It just takes more effort than opening a bottle and pouring in extract.

As a fellow sauce maker, I see it as almost a short cut or cheat.

Sorry .. vented now.

I have 2 bottles & hate it... personally I dont like extract. No flavor, Just heat..

I'm probably just going to throw my bottle that is opened in the trash & give away the other.

I remember disliking one of Dave's sauces but not sure if this was the one.

I have a bottle of ULTIMATE Insanity here, I was going to taste it , but now I wont open it, for fear of gaging.
It looks darker, so I assume more extract because the ingredients are the same !
P1010357.jpg

Dave's was a gateway sauce for me. It was easy to find and hotter than anything I'd ever tasted. It was Dave's Insanity Sauce that had me Googling "hot sauce" and got me on this whole slippery slope that's led me to a pepper-growing obsession.

Granted, I've never eaten his sauce on any food, and it was really more of a novelty than anything else, but it was a gateway sauce just the same.

Now that I know what I'm doing (for the most part) I'd still never actually eat the stuff, but I have a full bottle at work (save a spoonful) as a sort of keepsake.

Yeah, I still have the well-worn empty bottle of DIS that started it all for me back in 1996. Just a fun memento.

I've never bought any Dave's since though. Once I discovered actual Habs... Well...heheh...a slippery slope from there.

Back