contest December Throwdown Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miss a thread for a day or two and see what you get..... WTF???? NO OKRA????
Geesh - y'all need to l'arn a thang or two..

Okra is fine when breaded and deep fried. Outside of that, I think it's vile. There's nothing to learn from adding snot to my food.

...how about "all of the above"?

...and no gators close (though I can get it fresh with a quick 4 hour trip one way), it may be kinda difficult for most to find.

You may have to substitute chicken and/or ham for it. ;)
The store I used to go to for all my stuff, closed down while we were gone on the road so looking for a new one for my odd ingredients...

...gotta buy that new stove soon.

how's this- deep-fried canned okra and frozen gator with cayenne sprinkled mustard?

OK- that was J/K- No Gator close by, not even any possum. Still can find a skunk or two, andouille, shrimp, chicken, frozen catfish,

there's something to work with fo'sho'!!!

anyone wondering about who might sponsor a CaJun td?

edit- sorry, typo....Cajun!

Being that I've never eaten Cajun(It's not something you can get around here) and that you can't get the required ingredients here either I would be out on this one.

Being that I've never eaten Cajun(It's not something you can get around here) and that you can't get the required ingredients here either I would be out on this one.
I never said this was final, but I have to ask... you can't get shrimp and rice there?? I've been to Maine. You have it ;)

There's so many things anyone could do on there. I don't think you gave it a chance. You just looked at some of the stuff you couldn't get and said you were out.

[Pick at least one main ingredient:4. Shrimp5. AndouillePick at least two additional ingredients:1. Okra2. Corn3. Rice4. Tomatoes5. PecansPick at least one Cajun staple:1. Roux2. Trinity (green bell peppers, onion, celery)3. Crab/Shrimp/Crawfish boil (spices)4. Creole Mustard5. Filé PowderPick at least one cooking method:1. Grill2. Fry (deep or sauté)3. Étouffée4. Boil5. StewAnd the rest of the additional ingredients are up to you. To keep it Cajun you must use Cayenne pepper, but since this is The Hot Pepper you must also use at least one hotter pepper!Everything else is open. Be creative.[/b][/color]

DaQatz, aside from the main ingredients of gator, catfish, or armadillo, everything else is available at the general store and I'm pretty sure everyone can find a saucepan somewhere. I'm out of the comfort zone on this one big time, but it's for fun so why not give it a go?

I think I even have some really old file in the cupboard...

And I think the local grocer carries some kind of Crab Boil mix. If it's all about throwing it in a pot and seasoning it to high heavens, I can wing that and call it something interesting~~~ :cool:

Come On DQ! Let's give it a whirl!

Shrimp yes, but this time time of year it's mostly frozen and pre-cooked. Imo which is tasteless and worthless. I could personally visit the docks to get but that's quiet a drive. Rice is plentiful and easy to get. But only being able to get 1 sub-par quality of the main ingredients(If I really search I may be able to find catfish too) is the lesser point. It's more the competing on dishes I've never tasted and have no clue(And no way to taste short of traveling south a bit) of what it's supposed to taste like. I could bullshit my way through it, but there is no way for me(or you) to tell if it's a cajun taste even if looks and sounds great.

Then there is also the consideration that a good number of the forum members aren't from the US, and likely have no clue what cajun is. It really is a narrow field since unless you happen to be in a region where you can at least taste it you won't have much of a clue what it is.

Google is our friend :) I've been checking out some cajun recipes to get ideas... specially now that my appetite is back and I want to cook again :)

I'll only be able to use prawns (shrimp) out of that list - but thats all good 'cause i lurve my prawns :) plus it gives me an excuse to go to the fish markets.. considering mrmel is catering to every craving I have, should be easy to get him to give me a ride in :) I just wont be making something super hot.. but it will be super tasteeee!

Are we going to get a final call on this THP? I want to start working out what i'm gonna eat this weekend!!

Being that I've never eaten Cajun

:shocked:

I think my face just went numb...

Here....I found this in 15 seconds in a Yahoo search. This ought to show you how easy and tasty Cajun/Creole can be. ;)

Jambalaya Recipe
Jambalaya is one of those great one pot meals that has a little bit of everything in it and only has a couple of solid rules. Meats can consist of anything that Walks, Crawls, Flies, or Swims. I think that covers everything.

There are two basic schools of thought when it comes to a jambalaya recipe and that is Creole Style with Tomatoes or Cajun Style without Tomatoes.

Creole style jambalaya recipe sometimes called “red jambalaya” is more typical of what your will find in a restaurant. Its made by adding meat first to cook then adding vegetable and tomatoes. Seafood if added is the very last thing to go into the pot as it will only take a couple of minutes to cook. Next rice and stock are added usually it’s a one for one with 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of stock. This is brought to a boil and then lowered to a low simmer with just enough stirring to keep the bottom from burning. If you try this with a thin pot it will burn, that is why you will see most of the jambalaya recipes call for a cast iron pot. Let it simmer till the liquid is all absorbed by the rice. This takes about 30 to 60 minutes depending on how big of a batch you are making.

A Cajun style Jambalaya Recipe tends to be more prevalent in the southern parts of Louisiana and are more of a brown color because of the lack of tomatoes and the fact that the meat is browned in the cast-iron pot. This style starts off the same by browning the meat in the cast-iron pot and then removing the meat. A small amount of vegetable oil is added to sauté the trinity of vegetables which is (green bell peppers, celery, and onions). Not to much oil here we just need to add enough to sauté the vegetables. The you add your spices, meat, and stock and bring it to a boil. Dump in the rice, cover and reduce to a low simmer with out stirring. When the rice is done the Jambalaya is done.

....and that's just jambalaya! I sure hope this helps!

andouille is a pretty readily available sausage-

"Andouille (pronounced "ahn-DOO-wee") is the Cajun smoked sausage so famous nationally today. Made with pork butt, shank and a small amount of pork fat, this sausage is seasoned with salt, cracked black pepper and garlic. The andouille is then slowly smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane. True andouille is stuffed into the beef middle casing which makes the sausage approximately one and a half inches in diameter. When smoked, it becomes very dark to almost black in color. It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.

Traditionally, the andouilles from France were made from the large intestines and stomach of the pig, seasoned heavily and smoked. In parts of Germany, where some say andouille originated, the sausage was made with all remaining intestines and casings pulled through a larger casing, seasoned and smoked. It was served thinly sliced as an hors d'oeuvre.

It is interesting to note that the finest andouille in France comes from the Brittany and Normandy areas. It is believed that over half of the Acadian exiles who came to Louisiana in 1755 were originally from these coastal regions."

Costco has it, and the local grocer has a couple varieties.

If the Boss you allow chicken, then it's wide open. I agree that the crawfish, catfish, gator items are a little hard to come by, especially where we live... in the middle of nowhere.

crawfish, catfish, gator items are a little hard to come by, especially where we live... in the middle of nowhere.

Wally World has frozen whole crawfish, crawfish tail meat, and catfish fillets....

I'd bet money on it, sweetie.

;)

P.S. I'd love to help you design a menu! :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back