• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking deer Sausage!!!

Scorpion said:
Mmmmm venison is so nice.....Now if we are talking hunting and lovely game meat...try wrestling a 700kg camel mate and sliting its throat LOL...Went on a great trip out to the desert east of perth. camels, goats, roos (joey is a baby)great meat! 35kg upper camel leg now thats a drum stick! Took me a day to butcher the camel meat...Full on! made camel roast last night with bulgarian carrot pods and a sprinkling of bhut powder...Yummy!

WWE champion out of here lol!

sounds like good eating!
though I wouldn't try to wrestle any animal thats bigger than me poundwise or any animal that has big ol' teeth/claws ;)

I don't know much about camels, the only ones here are in zoo's. by the looks of them you'd get ALOT of meat off them. the humps on a camel is that muscle ? what does camel taste like sort of ?
while we're at it what do kangaroo's taste like ?

Scorpion said:
Mmmmm venison is so nice.....Now if we are talking hunting and lovely game meat...try wrestling a 700kg camel mate and sliting its throat LOL...Went on a great trip out to the desert east of perth. camels, goats, roos (joey is a baby)great meat! 35kg upper camel leg now thats a drum stick! Took me a day to butcher the camel meat...Full on! made camel roast last night with bulgarian carrot pods and a sprinkling of bhut powder...Yummy!

WWE champion out of here lol!

How exactly do you wrestle a camel?

chilehunter said:
I don't know much about camels, the only ones here are in zoo's. by the looks of them you'd get ALOT of meat off them. the humps on a camel is that muscle ? what does camel taste like sort of ?
while we're at it what do kangaroo's taste like ?

hey mate,

Camel is very much like beef...Not a great deal different except a touch stronger and a little more coarse. The hump comprises mainly of fat...Camels can loose over 40% of their body weight and still keep walking on...Incredible animals! Kangaroo really I guess, the only thing I can liken it to is venicen...Not the same but similar. Quiet a strong tasting meet...Full of goodness and great as jerky sprinkled with bhut flakes.Kangaroo is wonderful slow cooked in a caserole or as a roast over night with vegies anf jalepeno...wonderful!

It's a shame I cant send you some!

Scorp

JayT said:
How exactly do you wrestle a camel?

I couldnt find a link in you tube that I was after...But have a gander at this
Some aussies chase camels from a landrover and then jump on their neck and bring them to the ground.

The above is a little different.

we just shoot them and then finish them off...need nagas for testicles sometimes lol!

Scorp

What you guys might find interesting is that my girl friend and i decided a while ago that we would not buy meat at all and see if we can live purely off what we hunted. My other hobbie is deep water freediving/spearfishing....So far its been over 3 months and we havnt bought a we morcel of meat from the shop. We live mainly off: Goat, camel, roo, pigeon, duck (shot out in the queen Victoria desert), various fillets of fish and crabs (caught locally off the coast)....feels good and it saves the money. Its great for learning new recipes as well! Chilli goes well with so many of the dishes! yum yum

Scorpion said:
What you guys might find interesting is that my girl friend and i decided a while ago that we would not buy meat at all and see if we can live purely off what we hunted. My other hobbie is deep water freediving/spearfishing....So far its been over 3 months and we havnt bought a we morcel of meat from the shop. We live mainly off: Goat, camel, roo, pigeon, duck (shot out in the queen Victoria desert), various fillets of fish and crabs (caught locally off the coast)....feels good and it saves the money. Its great for learning new recipes as well! Chilli goes well with so many of the dishes! yum yum

thats what im talking about !
i would love to try that man... living off the land...
sounds terrific.. something i want to try and do once in my life.. maybe for a year with the right people..

that does sound cool to do living off the land... you guys should check into Aquaponics grow your fish and veggies all in one ... then you can hunt the rest of the time... great idea !!! :lol:

I so want some. I love venison but I've never had the opportunity to try deer sausage. I just finished dinner and after seeing that I'm hungry again.

I've been busy pre-marinating and fattening up some venison over the winter. I started naming them all after sausages. The big one is Frank(furter) and then there is the Brat, and Sally the Salami.......

3267850038_174d689225.jpg

millworkman said:
Potawie, do you hunt them?

Lol, that would be more harvesting than hunting. Looks like he's got him a whole herd!

There is one place near my parent's house that is near a lake. Deer hunting is restricted, and there are SO MANY its ridiculous. Like the speed limit in the entire area is 20mph because there are so many. You are guaranteed to see 20+ deer at any given time of day out there. So used to people you could probably walk right up and club one.

I leave a trail of grains for them, leading right to my meat grinder:)
I live in a very high deer population, and although I don't hunt personally, there is a definite need for hunting to keep the population at an acceptable level.
On the other hand, because there is such a high population, there are also a lot of poachers and unskilled hunters slaughtering or running the poor things, and often on private property:(
This year I have about 20+ regular does(and then there's the bucks) that come by for grain or alfalfa, and in return they ferilize my garden and forest:)

In the Spring most of the deer leave my back yard forest and hit the farmers' fields, and the ones that do stick around have learned respect for the habanero:)

POTAWIE said:
In the Spring most of the deer leave my back yard forest and hit the farmers' fields, and the ones that do stick around have learned respect for the habanero:)

Haha, yeah, last year some deer chomped my friend's dad's cayenne plants to the ground....the red savina was conspicuously only missing the very top....:lol:

Back