• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Man, things are really rolling there, Scotty!

Lots of great looking plants! Excited to see
you growing the Purple Thunder, Trippaul Threat
and Goat’s Weed this season. The GW is a real
beauty, almost an ornamental. And great pods,
to boot!

PaulG said:

to boot!
 Thanks Paul!

The GW is a really cool looking plant, I can't wait to see how it turns out. It looks like it's going to be way tall ;)

Here is the charcoal kiln:

63.jpg

64.jpg

I found this old propane tank on the job in 2011 and asked if I could haul it off. It was made in 1946, and is a 300 gallon tank. I paid salvage cost, less than $50. Half went to a BBQ pit for my son. This half is about 10"s shorter and the rounded end was replaced with 1/4" plate. Draft holes torched into the bottom. About 15 3/8" holes in the bottom of the 55 gal drum. I fill the 55 with about 6" long, less than 3" diameter Mesquite, place the lock ring on and fill the outside portion with the same sized wood all the way to the top of the outer propane tank. Light it from the top, and once the wood catches close the lid and let it burn. The next day I empty the charcoal, which I use to light the BBQ, and grind up for the garden. This makes real biochar in an oxygen free environment.

White Bhut podding nicely

65.jpg

Thunder Mystery, sorry for the blur, and now it's drizzling :rolleyes:

66.jpg

Thunder 3

67.jpg

Aji Largo that I shamelessly let sit right where it is since last summer :shh:

68.jpg

These 2 should be Giant Yellow Rocoto, heck it was a busy spring :rolleyes:

69.jpg

70.jpg

Devv said:
Thanks Paul,

I wanted more pics but it's kinda crappy outside, misting and all. I really want some real rain, inches, not tenths (like 2) ;)
Our weather has been spotty here, as well.
Periods of alternating rain showers and sun.
If the temperature was 25 degrees warmer, it
would be great growing weather!

PaulG said:
Our weather has been spotty here, as well.
Periods of alternating rain showers and sun.
If the temperature was 25 degrees warmer, it
would be great growing weather!
I'd be tickled if the temps here would stay just where they're at. We hit 90° already a few times but mostly it's been 60-80. Spent some time moving stuff around in the shop so we could get LB's car in there. Possible hail later. Currently under a severe thunder storm watch. Nasty cold front coming in wind and storms.

So I setup the ghetto wind break.

71.jpg

The wind from cold fronts and storms are the reason I built the fence out of repurposed materials. We've had weather quite a few times that just flattened everything.

Who da thunk it? I call it an Aardvark.

72.jpg

A friend gave us this Artichoke plant last spring, it grew until it got hot and died back. Once it cooled off it came back and ran with the money. Now what to do with them? The first try of making one was an assault on my palate :confused:

The Red P. Dreadie cross:

73.jpg

I had to go back out and look at that pod after viewing the pic. It kinda looks like an alien is ripping out of it. But it's just another pod with the dried up flower, now wet. Too many movies?

White Bhut in the dirt:

74.jpg

That leggy look is what I usually see on the BJ x PdN
varieties. In our grow season here, the long rangy
branches wind up loaded with pods, justice the ones
in your Trippaul Threat pics

They all look really good, Scott! My Purple Thunder 3
produced blocky orang/red pods, more like the one
on the left, but a bit shorter. We are so far away from
pods here, these photos make my mouth water!

Man, you have been busy whiiiiilst the rest of us weren't lookin', Scott! I wish I had your dedication to the craft, I just want to grow 'em and eat 'em...I did get a second Nardello to pop for me, I think we'll have a good, sheltered in place season...

By the bye, my Darlin' Bride was looking over my shoulder as I read through your glog: she says she'll take all the fresh artichoke you don't want...Me, not a fan. But they make her tail wag, so I try not to judge... ;)

Really great to see you overproducing again, man!! :metal:

That's a preetty sweet setup Devv - you really don't need to go hydro, haha (but lettuce is still a great start).

The gloomy weather we are so proud of here in the PNW forces us to find ways to cheat nature in order to grow non-native species  ;) 

PaulG said:

to boot!
Thanks Paul!

And thanks for the seed Mr. Enabler ;)

The weather should be better tomorrow for a few pics. I think the GW is carrying...

stettoman said:
Man, you have been busy whiiiiilst the rest of us weren't lookin', Scott! I wish I had your dedication to the craft, I just want to grow 'em and eat 'em...I did get a second Nardello to pop for me, I think we'll have a good, sheltered in place season...

By the bye, my Darlin' Bride was looking over my shoulder as I read through your glog: she says she'll take all the fresh artichoke you don't want...Me, not a fan. But they make her tail wag, so I try not to judge... ;)

Really great to see you overproducing again, man!! :metal:
Thanks Eric!

Stay safe with all this crap going on. I think we're in for a heck of a ride before it's all done.

HeatMiser said:
That's a preetty sweet setup Devv - you really don't need to go hydro, haha (but lettuce is still a great start).

The gloomy weather we are so proud of here in the PNW forces us to find ways to cheat nature in order to grow non-native species  ;)
Thanks HM!

Here I have to cheat against the heat. Lettuce started now would never produce, it would bolt in the garden. But in the shop which has insulation and AC, I may just pull it off. And wife chimed in, no caterpillars ;)  

Devv said:

Here I have to cheat against the heat. Lettuce started now would never produce, it would bolt in the garden. But in the shop which has insulation and AC, I may just pull it off. And wife chimed in, no caterpillars ;)  

Here are a couple of pics of lettuce and kohlrabi that I grew inside last winter. Kratky style, small under bed tote from walmart and small net pots. Seeds started in Sun Leaves Super Starter Plugs.  Super Starter Plugs, 72 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DR3JUY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4qXIEbNSD7TT1

A4963FB8-A553-4168-8982-7C7E0EC1BEF3.jpeg

One month later.

B123F844-99C8-4E39-AEFE-51DE88BE24C5.jpeg

Wow Devv! Great setup. It's obvious you've spent more than an hour or two on it. You should be proud. And your plants! Geez, I look at my little seedlings in their flats and feel VERY behind lol. Can't wait for some of your harvest money shots!

Back