• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Devv said:
Thanks Paul!

I didn't have any luck with the Chacoense and Chiltepin seeds this year, and would love to try them again for next season for sure. Thanks for sending them!

Kinda crazy weather for April, today was 41° this morning. That's 9° lower than the forecast.
Sounds like you are living in the Pacific NorthWest!

I will send some later season pods your way, friend.

Looking good Scott! I wish I could get motivated to get the garden ready right now. I've been trying to get the back garage cleaned and it is a monumental task right now lol

Edit: I need to get me a charcoal maker put together, I'm tired of giving royal oak 17 bucks a bag for old pallets and chunks of clay

Walchit said:
Looking good Scott! I wish I could get motivated to get the garden ready right now. I've been trying to get the back garage cleaned and it is a monumental task right now lol

Edit: I need to get me a charcoal maker put together, I'm tired of giving royal oak 17 bucks a bag for old pallets and chunks of clay
Thanks Andy!

I hear ya about the garage. I retired at the end of October and the first thing I did was straighten up the shop, it took me a few hours a day for weeks. And that was just to get it to look like it needed to be cleaned...LOL

143.jpg

Just have to put the lid on the 55 gallon drum and fill the rest of the outer barrel to the top, close the lid and light. That lid is heavy and I managed somehow for it to slam me the other day. Ouch!!

I use the char for 2 things, biochar for the garden, and starting the pit, or the oversized  hibachi. The pit has a firebox and I straight up use Mesquite for Brisket, ribs, hams, etc.
With the hibachi I use the char to get the Mesquite fire going and don't put meat on until I can tap the wood and it breaks apart. I keep a fire off to the side so I can add coals as Mesquite burns fast and hot.
The hibachi is about 16x26"s and 14" deep made from 1/4" plate with a 1/2" bottom, as I burned the first one out. I use the hibachi for chicken, steaks, sausage, dogs, burgers, etc.
I don't care for the flavor of just using the char I make, as it's just carbon by the time it's done cooking in the kiln.

Mr.joe said:
The price to buy biochar for my garden makes me consider burning my own. Still takes quite a bit of effort to build a kiln. Looks like toi have a good handle on it.
That's exactly why I made this one. It's my 3rd attempt and it works great. I put 3"s in the original 1,600 sf and tilled it in several years ago. That was like 8-10 loads crushed and ground. I was using a 30  gallon barrel inside a 55 back then.
I don't think the old propane tank will burn out for some time ;) But the 55 gallon one will go first. They're cheap..

I have quite a bit of Mesquite on the place here, so I think we're good.

Devv said:
That's exactly why I made this one. It's my 3rd attempt and it works great. I put 3"s in the original 1,600 sf and tilled it in several years ago. That was like 8-10 loads crushed and ground. I was using a 30  gallon barrel inside a 55 back then.
I don't think the old propane tank will burn out for some time ;) But the 55 gallon one will go first. They're cheap..

I have quite a bit of Mesquite on the place here, so I think we're good.
I need to look into the specifics of how to make it and what wood top use. I don't have access to free wood here.

A few pics...

144.jpg

Haskorea, being a busy plant ;)

145.jpg

Aji Arnaucho, also busy!

146.jpg

Goats Weed, my first year growing one of these. I think it's a beautiful plant.

147.jpg

Thunder Mystery, I can already see these pods are going to be way nasty!

149.jpg

Thunder 3, Dang! This plant says to me: "reporting for duty sir!"

So it's not just like some lump charcoal when your done? I wonder if a guy could use a little less wood in the outside barrel and come out with some good lump. Or maybe start with bigger chunks/logs.
Those are some mighty fine looking pieces of mesquite you have there btw. I'd probably have to use oak, pecan or maybe some fruit wood. I don't think we have e mesquite here

Back