• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

I haven't had Internet since Monday, a rata chewed through the 220' cable between the 50' tower and the house. I found the damage and repaired two of the eight wires yesterday, and it still didn't work. I dug up the cable (90') this morning, came in the house to disconnect it, and it had linked up. Regardless, I asked them to replace the cable.

skullbiker said:

Here are a couple of pics of lettuce and kohlrabi that I grew inside last winter. Kratky style, small under bed tote from walmart and small net pots. Seeds started in Sun Leaves Super Starter Plugs.  Super Starter Plugs, 72 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DR3JUY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4qXIEbNSD7TT1

attachicon.gif
A4963FB8-A553-4168-8982-7C7E0EC1BEF3.jpeg

One month later.

attachicon.gif
B123F844-99C8-4E39-AEFE-51DE88BE24C5.jpeg
Thanks for the info! I'll be placing an order later on if the Internet stays up and running

podz said:
Good lord you've got enough plants to feed an army! Looking awesome and like a lot of work.
Thanks!

We can the tomatoes, and put up what we can. We have around 80 tomato plants this year, last year we had 48 and ran out in January ;) Any extra goes to the local food bank. I know we'll have extra Onions and Garlic for sure..

Essegi said:
Cool, i was expecting your glog!
I'm not really sure what do you mean with "I'm way behind this season" because all that looks glorious and grandiose!
Ooops hit the unlike while multitasking. The Internet cam back up but is soooo slow....

Thanks Giancarlo! The "way behind this season" was in reference to starting a glog so late in my grow. I retired and this place was a circus of family visits ;)

DownRiver said:
Wow Devv! Great setup. It's obvious you've spent more than an hour or two on it. You should be proud. And your plants! Geez, I look at my little seedlings in their flats and feel VERY behind lol. Can't wait for some of your harvest money shots!
Thanks DR!

The garden has been my little slice of sanity in this now crazier than ever world.

Hey Mr McDevv, glad to see you got the Haskorea doing great [emoji106]( along with everything else)[emoji16]. Yeah Bhuter sent me some Bishop Crown seeds last year, he also threw in the Haskorea seeds. It was my favorite pepper that I grew, so I figured I should share the Luv[emoji16]. I have some of your Zapotec seeds via PaulG growing [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Hey Mr McDevv, glad to see you got the Haskorea doing great [emoji106]( along with everything else)[emoji16]. Yeah Bhuter sent me some Bishop Crown seeds last year, he also threw in the Haskorea seeds. It was my favorite pepper that I grew, so I figured I should share the Luv[emoji16]. I have some of your Zapotec seeds via PaulG growing [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Bryan,

I'm pretty stoked about the seed sharing that goes on in the THP. It sure does open up a whole new world.

I just got cleaned up after trenching the new Cat5E outdoor cable. They also replaced the radio on the 50' tower. It seems a bit zippier ;)

A few pics, things are doing well so far...

85.jpg

I planted 80 tomato plants this year. Wide walkways between the hedge that's forming. Planted Homestead, Early Girl, Early Girl Bush, German Pink, and Kumato. Kumato seeds from PtMD989, Thanks Bryan! They got their bi-weekly dose of Calmag, else we get BLM big time.

86.jpg

They're setting like crazy!

The bag ladies..

141.jpg

142.jpg

111.jpg

One of last years grow down Sri Lanka (red curly) . It survived the winter out in the garden and started growing, so I cut it back..time will tell.

112.jpg

Told the wife we don't need to buy Onions for a while ;)

Dirt peppers:

113.jpg

TripPaul Threat White

116.jpg

P. Dreadie. I didn't have much luck with them last season. I'm hoping they do well this season.

118.jpg

119.jpg

Red P. Dreadie (cross) I'm curious to see if these go red this year...

121.jpg

White Bhut, these always do well.

123.jpg

124.jpg

Thunder Mystery

127.jpg

Haskorea

129.jpg

130.jpg

Zapotec Jalapeno. We be ready for some ripe ones!  The pods on all three plants look thin. I hope they didn't cross. If I remember correctly they were spaced well away from the rest of last years plants.

131.jpg

Sugar Rush Peach turning...

134.jpg

Thunder 2 looking mean and awesome!  I'm thinking it's a burn twice pepper!

136.jpg

TripPaul Threat Purple, nice large pods ;)

138.jpg

Jimmy Nardello's, taking forever to ripen.

139.jpg

Thunder 3

That's all for now :dance:

Wow Devv!  Just too many good things to comment on all.  I'll definitely be back again to look again when I have more time.  That first shot of your tomato garden is something else.  Must be so nice to step outside and see such great results from your work.

Those JZ have a little bit of a Serrano look about them, don't they?  Curious to see how they turn out.  If they did cross, you may be onto something awesome!

CaneDog said:
Wow Devv!  Just too many good things to comment on all.  I'll definitely be back again to look again when I have more time.  That first shot of your tomato garden is something else.  Must be so nice to step outside and see such great results from your work.

Those JZ have a little bit of a Serrano look about them, don't they?  Curious to see how they turn out.  If they did cross, you may be onto something awesome!
Thanks CD! That's what the wife and I think. But, we didn't grow Serano's. A possible Sri Lanka cross maybe??? If so, all three plants???

I'm with Cane Dog, just too much to take in all at once.
Everything looks really good. You are doing the the purple
varieties proud, Scott, beautiful growth habit and pods!

And the Goat's Weed is awesome. I love the fuzzy silver
stems on those! Did my Chacoense and Chiltepin seeds
sprout for you? I was a little worried about those. I have
some more whenever you are ready!

PaulG said:
I'm with Cane Dog, just too much to take in all at once.
Everything looks really good. You are doing the the purple
varieties proud, Scott, beautiful growth habit and pods!

And the Goat's Weed is awesome. I love the fuzzy silver
stems on those! Did my Chacoense and Chiltepin seeds
sprout for you? I was a little worried about those. I have
some more whenever you are ready!
Thanks Paul!

I didn't have any luck with the Chacoense and Chiltepin seeds this year, and would love to try them again for next season for sure. Thanks for sending them!

Kinda crazy weather for April, today was 41° this morning. That's 9° lower than the forecast.

Back