• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Siv said:
Everything looking really good! My soil grow last year went to watering every couple of days in the height of summer - that's probably the only piece of useful advice I can give you, everything looks like it's going on strong!
Thanks Siv!

We're already on the every other day schedule. Used 1,000 gallons of rain water already! Rain has been really slim so far.
I think our temps are really close, but you get way more rain being closer to Houston.
I lived there and in Magnolia from 1978 until 1986. Back then almost every summer day we had the 4PM rains. Does it still do that where you are?

ducky.jpg

190.jpg

Thunder 3 on the fence, some color!

191.jpg

TripPaul Threat White, in sunlight it's a crazy bright white. Pics won't come out...too bright.

192.jpg

193.jpg

Thunder 2 color changes are out standing..

194.jpg

Thunder 3 in the dirt, same colors as the one on the fence.

195.jpg

Todays pepper haul. Thunder 3 pods, P. Dreadie Red (now orange), and Nardello's

PtMD989 said:
Well, how was it,eh. I never cooked with a Haskorea. Just made powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I must confess, that one and 2 others are in the dehydrator, seeds saved. We've had some corona melt downs around here. Mom, LB, and my daughter the last few days. I feel like a counselor here lately.
I will report once I eat one ;)

A few pics:

196.jpg

200.jpg

General garden shots. All the Onions in the empty row have been picked. Still have the long day Onions on the right. And just a few Garlic plants to the left ;)

skullbiker said:
What type of asparagus are you growing there? I think whatever type you have there may work for me here. I had to leave my 30 X 60 foot bed behind in MN. [emoji22] I was about 6 years into it.
Don't laugh...we picked them up at Walmart several years ago. I don't know what kind they are....They work, and keep spreading. 2 of the 4 beds are from volunteers.

One thing I have found is most of the seed catalogs seem to be up North, and when I would buy something it was sent way after our planting dates here. So we started looking locally.

Amazing Scott, you've let your asparagus go already...I checked ours yesterday, found the first little purple heads starting to poke out the ground (Jersey Knight). We pick til 4th of July here. They grill better fresh. ;)

Aside from that, beautiful gardens, man!

On a side note regarding mower decks eating belts, understand that I mow 6 acres of VERY rough terrain, ie. frost heaving bumps and nightcrawler mounds and extremely uneven grades. The deck wheel brackets had to be rewelded after only a couple years, and I have a bee-atch of a time leveling the stupid thing every year. I'm pretty sure it's an entropy related problem (2009 Cub LTX1045). Also the Kohler Courage 20 powering the tractor has developed a "shudder" on shut off, my guess is a loose bearing or a warped shaft. After 11 years of bucking and broncoing around the property the old girl is likely tired and pissed at me. I do change oil every year (Valvoline full synthy) and try to tighten things up regular (exhaust manifold bolts flew off last year, found out that one of the holes wasn't tapped right and stripped virtually smooth), and grease the shit out of of every zerk with Lumax white lithium...EDITTED TO ADD I'VE ONLY RUN NON-OX FUEL FOR THE LAST 7 OR 8 YEARS...

What I oughta do is just get a damned tow-behind and trash the current occupant...

Anyway, like I said, excellent grow, man!

Devv said:

Thunder 3 on the fence, some color!

TripPaul Threat White, in sunlight it's a crazy bright white. Pics won't come out...too bright.
Those are white pods, alright. I sure wish I knew how
all my plants turned out violet pods, except for the
one yellow. I'm hoping the white seed you sent pods
​ups true to color like yours!

Thunder 2 color changes are out standing..

Thunder 3 in the dirt, same colors as the one on the fence.

The Purple thunder plants are showing some
interesting color changes from last season,
especially in Glen's Panama grow.

Todays pepper haul. Thunder 3 pods, P. Dreadie Red (now orange), and Nardello's
The P. Dreadie Red pods look great, even if orange.
The shape is awesome.

Your whole garden knocks me out every time I see it!

podz said:
Awesome garden and canopy, mindblowing. As a city dweller, I couldn't dream of that. Keep trying to convince my wife to leave the city and just work remotely permanently but she ain't havin' it (yet).
Thanks Mika!

Actually my wife found this place, and called me. She said "go look at this place, I want it!" This was in late 1988.
There was a contract on it and when it fell through, we jumped on it. Closed on Saint Paddy's day 1989.
It's so quiet out here that we can here the neighbors talking 1/4 mile away.

Tons of wild life.

209.jpg
210.jpg

This is about 35 meters out the back door.

stettoman said:
Amazing Scott, you've let your asparagus go already...I checked ours yesterday, found the first little purple heads starting to poke out the ground (Jersey Knight). We pick til 4th of July here. They grill better fresh. ;)

Aside from that, beautiful gardens, man!

On a side note regarding mower decks eating belts, understand that I mow 6 acres of VERY rough terrain, ie. frost heaving bumps and nightcrawler mounds and extremely uneven grades. The deck wheel brackets had to be rewelded after only a couple years, and I have a bee-atch of a time leveling the stupid thing every year. I'm pretty sure it's an entropy related problem (2009 Cub LTX1045). Also the Kohler Courage 20 powering the tractor has developed a "shudder" on shut off, my guess is a loose bearing or a warped shaft. After 11 years of bucking and broncoing around the property the old girl is likely tired and pissed at me. I do change oil every year (Valvoline full synthy) and try to tighten things up regular (exhaust manifold bolts flew off last year, found out that one of the holes wasn't tapped right and stripped virtually smooth), and grease the shit out of of every zerk with Lumax white lithium...EDITTED TO ADD I'VE ONLY RUN NON-OX FUEL FOR THE LAST 7 OR 8 YEARS...

What I oughta do is just get a damned tow-behind and trash the current occupant...

Anyway, like I said, excellent grow, man!
Thanks Eric!

We had so much Asparagus this year we had to put it up. The beds are fully mature now so here we go.

Ah, I was wondering about the belts. 6 acres is a lot to mow! I know I've done it in years past. I only mow about an acre and lease the rest, which I mow with the tractor and the 5' brush hog once or twice a year to keep the brush from getting a foot hold..

PaulG said:
The P. Dreadie Red pods look great, even if orange.
The shape is awesome.

Your whole garden knocks me out every time I see it!

Thanks Paul!

The first thing every morning LB and I go out and take care of whatever the garden needs. About 1-2 hours a day.

I have the pods in the dehydrator...gotta go and help cook dinner...I've been summoned!

Back