• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Devv said:
Oh, and they arrived unscathed, thanks again!

I'll get some of them planted this week when things slow down a bit around here.

Looking forward to seeing them growing
in the SW sun! I hope they perform better
than the last ones I sent! If not, I will be really
embarrassed  

PaulG said:

Looking forward to seeing them growing
in the SW sun! I hope they perform better
than the last ones I sent! If not, I will be really
embarrassed  
I'll be planting them tomorrow. No summer trips planned with this COVID BS, so I can play all summer ;)

I'm sure they will hook in 3 days or less!

175.jpg

I have sunshade up, but the bag ladies on the East side of the 6' fence are still getting too much sun.

176.jpg

Soooo... being I'm a Pack Rat...I had some 30 year old tin roofing material, and 18 year old treated wood (same wood I used for the fence). I rigged a shade roof for the bag ladies.

This gets the sun off them @ around 1PM. Being I'm home a day now, I can pay more attention to the sun devil.

Devv said:
175.jpg

I have sunshade up, but the bag ladies on the East side of the 6' fence are still getting too much sun.

176.jpg

Soooo... being I'm a Pack Rat...I had some 30 year old tin roofing material, and 18 year old treated wood (same wood I used for the fence). I rigged a shade roof for the bag ladies.

This gets the sun off them @ around 1PM. Being I'm home a day now, I can pay more attention to the sun devil.

Creative Pack Rat!!  Looks good!
No rattlesnakes under that old tin?

Devv said:
177.jpg

178.jpg

My first Hydro. Just some lettuce that would bolt in the heat we have here. This COVID stuff has mostly kept us out of stores, unless I go in looking like Jesse James.

The six gun stays in the truck...

Pretty good Devv! you jumped right in...

What nutrients are you using? You should have plenty of salad in 5 - 6 weeks time. I've had great results with lettuce, hope you do too. 

skullbiker said:
You should have some fresh greens in about a month.

What, no big pockets?
I can't wait for fresh greens, I need to start some spinach as well.

I can carry in my vehicle, but don't have the CH license. I do carry a Ruger 38 when we go for walks, we have wild hogs, mountain lions, which I've seen around here, also have seen packs of Pit Bulls. Maybe I should carry the Glock 40 ;)

Devv said:

I can carry in my vehicle, but don't have the CH license. I do carry a Ruger 38 when we go for walks, we have wild hogs, mountain lions, which I've seen around here, also have seen packs of Pit Bulls. Maybe I should carry the Glock 40 ;)

I don’t blame ya, anywhere near wildlife I’m packing heat (ain’t gonna be no victim of mt lion attack)  :flamethrower:  :mad:

Devv said:

I really hope you do well with the spinach, that shit drives me crazy trying to germinate it. I crapped out and bought started plants.
General pocket piece is a LadySmith .357 Mag, Out in the wild gun would be the Glock 20(only because the Raging Judge is to damned heavy to carry around).

Back