• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

skullbiker said:
I really hope you do well with the spinach, that shit drives me crazy trying to germinate it. I crapped out and bought started plants.
General pocket piece is a LadySmith .357 Mag, Out in the wild gun would be the Glock 20(only because the Raging Judge is to damned heavy to carry around).

I've been thinking about starting a tub with some lettuce; I've got room under my light. Could I keep them going more or less indefinitely, just picking off leaves as I use them? 

LCP2 .380 here. I could conceal it wearing nothing but a coat of paint. 

duck-water.jpg

skullbiker said:
I really hope you do well with the spinach, that shit drives me crazy trying to germinate it. I crapped out and bought started plants.
General pocket piece is a LadySmith .357 Mag, Out in the wild gun would be the Glock 20(only because the Raging Judge is to damned heavy to carry around).
You probably had some bad seeds. I have 2 packets. I only planted those in the dirt during the fall and they came up NP, the others not.

I like the Ruger because it's light, the Glock is a model 22 in .40 caliber. Your 20 is a 10mm?

Uncle_Eccoli said:

I've been thinking about starting a tub with some lettuce; I've got room under my light. Could I keep them going more or less indefinitely, just picking off leaves as I use them? 

duck-water.jpg
I tried to trade my daughter the .38 for her Ruger 380, she wanted to trade, mainly because the slide on hers has a pretty stiff spring. Her hubby shook his head no...The 38 was for the wife, she loved it until she shot it a few times. ;)

184.jpg

Thunder 2 in the dirt, this one has really dark pods. The plant is not happy with today's heat (96°), it's watered well.

186.jpg

P. Dreadie, it's hating the temps as well..

185.jpg

P. Dreadie red, F3, this year it's orange.

Everything looking splendid as always Devv, retirement is treating you well it seems!

Awesome you're also going down the hydro route - just wait until you pop an aquarium bubbler in there too. The growth rates will shock you even more than the Kratky probably already will... ;)

Very stoked about hearing your opinions on the Bjh-2 pods flavour etc, for me I'm hoping this to be the money maker this year for flakes, powders etc.

Do you have any recommendations for tomatoes, especially in terms of sweetness? Given you grow so many, I bet you have some real favorites.

Stay safe and hope the guns are just there for feeling safe, and not needing them to actually be safe!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Devv said:
You probably had some bad seeds. I have 2 packets. I only planted those in the dirt during the fall and they came up NP, the others not.

I like the Ruger because it's light, the Glock is a model 22 in .40 caliber. Your 20 is a 10mm?
I probably try different seeds for this area.
Yes, the G20 is a 10, and I have the 6 inch barrel for it to drop the long range pests(regardless of how many legs they have).

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Poddin up nicely, good looking Haskorea and P.dreadie orange  ;)

Thanks GPR!

I'll be doing some harvesting in the morning ;)

PtMD989 said:
Plants are looking great [emoji106][emoji16]. You should get a lifetime supply of seeds just from that Haskorea [emoji106]. They are seedy sonsofguns [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Bryan!

I have two going! Gonna pick that one tomorrow and give it a taste on a breakfast taco ;)

lespaulde said:
Everything looking splendid as always Devv, retirement is treating you well it seems!

Awesome you're also going down the hydro route - just wait until you pop an aquarium bubbler in there too. The growth rates will shock you even more than the Kratky probably already will... ;)

Actually I do have the air stones in those 2 tubs. I'm not going to drain and re-fill though..

Very stoked about hearing your opinions on the Bjh-2 pods flavour etc, for me I'm hoping this to be the money maker this year for flakes, powders etc.

It won't be long now. I think they will be too hot for me to eat straight up on food, so the flakes, powders, and I just have to make a hot sauce with them. Years ago a co-worker brought in some hot sauce made with the original Red Bhut, and that got me hooked :dance: 

Do you have any recommendations for tomatoes, especially in terms of sweetness? Given you grow so many, I bet you have some real favorites.

Don't laugh, but I'm not a fan of fresh tomatoes. The wife loves them though. Most get canned for the "red gravy" she makes. My grandfather from Milan made this killer spaghetti sauce, we still use that old recipe 50 years later.
Also used for hot sauces, pico de gallo, you name it. The one we have grown the most over the years is the Early Girl variety. We need a quick solution for the short spring season here, plant in early March, done by early June.
Last year we grew the German Pink, and LB loved it, so it's growing this season. I'm also evaluating the Heritage, Early Girl Bush, and a Kumato that PtMD989 sent, that's supposed to be a really sweet one.

Stay safe and hope the guns are just there for feeling safe, and not needing them to actually be safe!

And yes, living so far out in the country, it's a good idea to be prepared. I hope I never have to use a weapon in self defense.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

skullbiker said:
I probably try different seeds for this area.
Yes, the G20 is a 10, and I have the 6 inch barrel for it to drop the long range pests(regardless of how many legs they have).
I planted some more seeds today, trying two types of Spinach. I'm starting them in coir, in these little jiffy pots I was given. Once they pop I can just drop those into the net pots. I have room for another small tote.
I bought a 4 pack ;)
I'd like to see a pic of that 6" barrel in a Glock...

I took these yesterday, and since we picked a bunch more. The sweet white onions are saying pick me!

189.jpg

Great ways to save..yes, grow your own!

188.jpg

By the end of the week we'll be canning maters...80 plants? I need a drink :shh:

187.jpg

A few peps, Nardellos, wannabe Zapotecs (they good), Sugar Rush..

Uncle_Eccoli said:

duck-water.jpg
Sorry I just realized I missed this.

Yes, to some extent one could pick as they see fit. Being they will be super fresh as compared to the store bought, they should keep really well. LB says 14 days or more on cold storage, and that's store bought.
I have some more seeds soaking to keep the harvests coming in.

CaneDog said:
Nice harvest!  No onions for me this year, unfortunately.

Any better idea on what the JZ's might have crossed with after tasting them?
Thanks CD!

I'm thinking it crossed with the grow down we did last year. That would be the Sri Lanka pepper.
I did put some seeds in germ land today, as the wife says they're too hot for her to eat. So straight up Jalapeno, Jalamundo, and Tam Jalapeno are in the wings.
I normally don't start this time of year, but it seems summer travel is off this year..

podz said:
So many pods already and May is just getting started! Almost end of season 2020-1 for you, though, right?
Hi Mika!

Yes, the end is near. The heat is getting to where pods won't be setting much in the heat.
I have tried in years past to run them until we get a frost, which could be around Christmas most years.
It's just not worth the effort for the rewards. So plant a bunch and get what Mother Nature allows us. ;)

Back