• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Love watchin your plans develop. My Carolina reaper is kicking it but it took its time. My slowest red is the primo, which to be honest would be very difficult to tell from a reaper. Both have great flavors.

It's be cool to see of you have better luck doing a fall planting with some of those varieties. My favorite red I think is he bb7, but it's kind of a slow producer as well. So many long term pepper breeding/selecting projects to do, and no time!

I admire your work Scott. Pulling the plants at the end of the season makes me sad... One of the reasons I got into bonchi.

maximumcapsicum said:
Love watchin your plans develop. My Carolina reaper is kicking it but it took its time. My slowest red is the primo, which to be honest would be very difficult to tell from a reaper. Both have great flavors.

Thanks Adam, I held over a Reaper, Primo, and Funky Reaper and replanted this spring. They all grew nicely, but no pods to speak of from the true Reaper and the Primo. Now last November they put of a ton of pods.

It's be cool to see of you have better luck doing a fall planting with some of those varieties. My favorite red I think is he bb7, but it's kind of a slow producer as well. So many long term pepper breeding/selecting projects to do, and no time!

I admire your work Scott. Pulling the plants at the end of the season makes me sad... One of the reasons I got into bonchi.

Oh it's not easy to destroy plants you sprouted from seed and nurtured all year, but I have to look at the big picture ;)

stickman said:
Way to go Scott! I put as much energy into soil prep in the fall as you do, and it pays big dividends in the following year. Good luck with the OW plants and the new fall planting schedule... I hope it works out for you. :dance:
 Thanks Rick!

I've been adding goodies for years, but stepped it up the last few. It's nice so see the chocolate color when working it now.

I'm just going to try a few supers in the fall. If they do like last year they should turn out nicely. Usually no frost until mid to late December here.

I thought you said somewhere, but I'm not seeing it now; when are you planting your first cover crop?  Are you going to plant one soon to turn under soon and then another for over winter?  I just bought some hairy vetch and buckwheat.  The buckwheat, along with some black eye peas from the grocery, and maybe some rye from the natural foods store, are going in soon in two garden sections I never got planted this year.  They've grown up with mostly Johnson grass.  Especially the buckwheat, but the others, too, I'll be able to turn under in time to get a proper winter cover crop of vetch and rye going before the hard cold gets here.  The black eye peas are mainly to try to distract the deer from the fall garden.

I sympathise with ripping up plants but if its best for the long term once you start doing it it actually is quite satisfying wiping the slate clean and starting afresh.
All this prep can only be good news in 6-7 months time you will be happy both for the break and the soil quality. Not to mention that little bit of excitement in choosing the new varieties to plant!
Good stuff bro!! Keep on chipping away!!

Sawyer said:
I thought you said somewhere, but I'm not seeing it now; when are you planting your first cover crop?  Are you going to plant one soon to turn under soon and then another for over winter?  I just bought some hairy vetch and buckwheat.  The buckwheat, along with some black eye peas from the grocery, and maybe some rye from the natural foods store, are going in soon in two garden sections I never got planted this year.  They've grown up with mostly Johnson grass.  Especially the buckwheat, but the others, too, I'll be able to turn under in time to get a proper winter cover crop of vetch and rye going before the hard cold gets here.  The black eye peas are mainly to try to distract the deer from the fall garden.
 I'm planting September 15th, I'm actually ahead of schedule. I though it would take longer to tear things down. Today I tilled in the 3 day weekends work, which was 12-15 hours of sweating like a pig. The soil was a nice chocolate color, and that makes me happy. And yes I'm hoping for two crops. AND to get some more RCW to till in before the second planting, if I can manage the time...

Trippa said:
I sympathise with ripping up plants but if its best for the long term once you start doing it it actually is quite satisfying wiping the slate clean and starting afresh.
All this prep can only be good news in 6-7 months time you will be happy both for the break and the soil quality. Not to mention that little bit of excitement in choosing the new varieties to plant!
Good stuff bro!! Keep on chipping away!!

Thanks Tristen!

I'm looking forward to a break, and having the soil regain some of it's vigor ;)

Pulpiteer said:
What an epic journey!  And a huge glog!
Great season Scott.  I'll be looking forward to see what you do with the soil and how it goes for you next year!

Thank Andy!

It's been a wild season, just go, go, go. Gardening and the related processing has been non stop. Between the Corn, Beans, Garlic, Onions, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Squash, and Peppers, LB and I are worn out. Lettuce and Broccoli were weak this season, my fault, I didn't stay on them :doh:

OCD Chilehead said:
Man, I forgot all about the other veggies. It's been pod central for awhile. I wish I had half the energy of you two.

My hats off to you guys.

The fall garden starts as soon as I get to it. We're going to use the most unproductive raised bed (pepper wise) first. Lettuce, Brocolli, and Radishes to start. Then Garlic.

We got some surprise rain today .9" and then a second round just came through, too much lightning to go and check the rain guage. Of course the garden is all fluffed up, I want rain, but I don't want erosion either. It held good on the first downpour.

Edit:

Second rain was .4"

Pic of garden...

1224.jpg

Devv said:

The fall garden starts as soon as I get to it. We're going to use the most unproductive raised bed (pepper wise) first. Lettuce, Brocolli, and Radishes to start. Then Garlic.

We got some surprise rain today .9" and then a second round just came through, too much lightning to go and check the rain guage. Of course the garden is all fluffed up, I want rain, but I don't want erosion either. It held good on the first downpour.
Get some coir or Hessian erosion netting maybe until your cover crop is in ... would be a crying shame to see all those wood chips literally go down the drain

HillBilly Jeff said:
Garden is looking nice.

Thanks Jeff,

And to think it was once blonde sand, a lot of hours put into it!

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks great Scott. I think it'll hold just find, as long as it's a little rain here and there.

Thanks Chuck,

It did well and has settled down so we're good. I think all the materials are helping hold it together as well.

randyp said:
   Looks Great Scott.The closer you get to the end of a project,the little extra push seems to come out of nowhere to finish the job. :P

Thanks Randy,

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll have just enough materials to finish. Then wait a week or so and plant the clover. Then back to scarfing the RCW from the county ;)

Sawyer said:
Not that it's an issue for you, but I wonder how much frost protection a raised system like your shade cloth would provide.

I wouldn't think it would help very much, I feel a more closed in area would help. John, I use the wobblers to combat a frost, they provide at least 2,500 square feet of coverage. One is shown in the top left side of the last pic.

Considering the color of the sandy soil you started with, what you've got now is looking a lot nicer... especially after the rain today! :party:  Do you have much in the way of leaf drop out your way during the autumn Scott? The chipper/shredder should be a big help in keeping good humus levels from one year to the next. Keep up the good work!

maximumcapsicum said:
Soil looks great Scott! Time to start thinking about the next grow list...
 Thanks Adam!

I'm really close to being done grinding and tilling for the moment. All the materials I have will be exhausted. I have some time yet before planting. AND looking foward to a break!

stickman said:
Considering the color of the sandy soil you started with, what you've got now is looking a lot nicer... especially after the rain today! :party:  Do you have much in the way of leaf drop out your way during the autumn Scott? The chipper/shredder should be a big help in keeping good humus levels from one year to the next. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Rick!

Been busy every day!

Yeah the rain made things look better ;)  I took advantage of that with that pic. Our leaf drop is in February, that's when the major leaf drop is. However I get leaves from the school district, they just dump the bags in my truck. And that will start in the next 30 days. The leaves will be mostly Ash, Mesquite, and some Red Oak. I will be scoring the nicely composted RCW from the county real soon. It grinds up really nice as it's already halfway there as far as breaking down goes.

One thing I have now is a good humus ratio going. I'm hoping the cover crops and the moisture that I keep going will help break things down....

Wow now there's talks of a fall garden?! Sheesh and I'm sitting here with a measily 90 days for a growing season. What you got up your sleeve for the fall?

Neil

Back