• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Devv said:

Thanks Lourens!

That soil started out as blonde sand years ago, it's now really nice down to 18"s. ;)

Thanks Randy!

It will get a break until January 15th when the Onions go in. A month later the potatoes go in. March we start to load it up again. The fall garden is going to be in the raised beds, I noticed a few Radishes have sprouted today ;)

And I want to thank you for the SFRB!

1231.jpg

Those Reapers look really good!

Thanks again!

Those are some really gnarly looking pods!!!!  

HillBilly Jeff said:

Those are some really gnarly looking pods!!!!  

Yeah they are! I can feel the burn just looking at them!

Rain is in the region, I hope we get some!

1235.jpg

Got the Crimson Clover thrown out yesterday, ran the wobblers for 2 hours and used the 4 wheeler to pack things down some.

1233.jpg

1234.jpg

Gonna run the wobblers a while more unless we get the rain, which is forecast for the next few days!

randyp said:
    Forget peppers Buddy.You need to bag and sell that stuff.Happy Scotts Growing Medium. :P

Hah!

I like that, but I'm not sharing! The end result is years of my sweat. But perhaps in 5 years when I retire and have the time I could start something like that. I have the land and all the equipment; I just need better access to cow manure. But I do know some ranchers ;)

Scott, somewhere you said your in-ground plants did better than your raised bed plants.  Did they out-produce the raised bed plants?  Do you know why?

Sawyer said:
Very nice garden prep, Scott.  Have you ordered your comfrey?  Did you go with Bocking?  #4 or #14 (or both)?

Thanks John!

As a matter of fact I bought the Bocking 14 this morning. They're kind of proud of that root stock, so I bought just 6. I'm going to look into propagation methods ;)

They should get a nice jump with the cooling effect now happening. It's 69° outside and quite windy. I know it's going to get warm again, but not for long, so they should get a nice start. Heck they're from Russia, they surely won't freeze here!

Roguejim said:
Scott, somewhere you said your in-ground plants did better than your raised bed plants.  Did they out-produce the raised bed plants?  Do you know why?

Hi Jim,

Well the garden soil has had many amendments added over the years. And all I did for the raised beds was mix topsoil and potting soil. The dirt did way better!

Devv said:

Thanks John!

As a matter of fact I bought the Bocking 14 this morning. They're kind of proud of that root stock, so I bought just 6. I'm going to look into propagation methods ;)

They should get a nice jump with the cooling effect now happening. It's 69° outside and quite windy. I know it's going to get warm again, but not for long, so they should get a nice start. Heck they're from Russia, they surely won't freeze here!

Hi Jim,

Well the garden soil has had many amendments added over the years. And all I did for the raised beds was mix topsoil and potting soil. The dirt did way better!
Time to beef up those saised beds, then!

Garden prep is looking good Scott! I'll be doing the same thing with my veggie garden while I'm on my "Staycation" later this week. I'll be harvesting the root crops, pulling up the weeds and plants that are done for the season, spading in the contents of the composter behind the house and sowing rye grass and field peas for a cover crop. The scallions, peppers and Lucinato kale can stay. ;)

Looking good as always Scott! Makes me kind of chuckle to think that you haven't had any plants in the ground for over a couple weeks now, but you still have so many people interested and following your glog. I can definitely say I'm always learning something from you, or from someone posting in here. As long as you're glogs rockin' ill be following :)

Devv said:
Oh, I'll be out collecting cow manure once the grass is dry and it's not mushy..LOL

I still have plants in the ground, but you have got me thinking about soil prep and planning for next year. I have access to an endless supply of cow patties and have, in the past, broken some up and put them in the compost piles, but I've never really applied directly to the soil. How much do you typically use and what is your method of incorporating them into your soil?

OK Devv (and seasoned grower company).... some general advice?

Peppers apparently don't like straight clay soil very much - half my plot is unamended hard clay. Very much a bitch to till, and not good for growing peppers (had nutrient deficiencies across the board).

What would be a good media to amend the soil to loosen it some, and give it some natural NPK without having to prop them up on strong chemical fertilizer??

Essegi said:
He he all years always we hope to have some rain! :D
Here we're hoping it won't rain more for at least a week! :P

We always want rain here, as long as it doesn't cause erosion. Our place is on a slope, but I have it terraced so it moves away from the house and garden. I used a multi-tiered approach.

outlaw said:
Looking good as always Scott! Makes me kind of chuckle to think that you haven't had any plants in the ground for over a couple weeks now, but you still have so many people interested and following your glog. I can definitely say I'm always learning something from you, or from someone posting in here. As long as you're glogs rockin' ill be following :)

Thanks Trev!

The whole idea is to share information ;)  I still have some plants going in one raised bed and several more in containers. Most of the container plants were dug up 2 weeks ago, and are still adjusting to the transplant. I pulled the plants from raised bed #2 today, we have 4 total. One is dedicated to Asparagus, one has fall crops planted, and #3 is for garlic. Garlic get planted next weekend.

I still have plants in the ground, but you have got me thinking about soil prep and planning for next year. Last year I grew until mid December, no rest for the garden, You just can't run the heck out of it without building the soil. Well you can if you use chem's. I like to go organic.

I have access to an endless supply of cow patties and have, in the past, broken some up and put them in the compost piles, but I've never really applied directly to the soil. How much do you typically use and what is your method of incorporating them into your soil?

This summer I bought a chipper shredder, it just flat turns the dried pies into powder. I till it in, I need more ;)  I would say an inch in the fall tilled in, then the cover crop. Till that 30 days before you want to plant so it all dies, and till in another inch. This would be seasoned manure, green I would go with half the amount. AT least until you see how things work in your environment.

JoeFish said:
Garden looks so clean and organized.  I know your putting a lot of work into it.  You might be my new hero...  its a close race between you and Sawyer.

Thanks Joe!

It takes work to get the desired results. ;)  Our native soil is so dead. The garden extends into the North pasture. In days past when it used to rain here they grew Peanuts and water melons in the field. This was done for MANY years. Evidently they farmed it out because it's really spent.

Yeah John and I do a lot of the same things, I guess it's our age group ;)

TrentL said:
OK Devv (and seasoned grower company).... some general advice?

Peppers apparently don't like straight clay soil very much - half my plot is unamended hard clay. Very much a bitch to till, and not good for growing peppers (had nutrient deficiencies across the board).

What would be a good media to amend the soil to loosen it some, and give it some natural NPK without having to prop them up on strong chemical fertilizer??

I lived in Magnolia Texas and Manassas Virginia, both places were just red clay. In both placed I dumped 4-6"s of leaves on the garden and tilled them in every fall. By spring they were gone. An inch of mature cow manure in the fall and a cover crop will get you going, and this continues forever. Well until you have black gold for soil.

We lived in Magnolia for 4 years, and left for Va. in late 1986. I heard from an old neighbor that the people who moved in were impressed with the garden soil.

So for clay, anything that will break down. Leaves are better than RCW to get the jump start. Get a chipper shredder. I bought a DR, one up from entry level. Damn, that's a tool every gardener should have. I keep saying why did I wait so long?

I will close out and say I do use a natural (organic) liquid fertilizer to help things along.

http://www.medinaag.com/product_details.php?pid=Mzc=

It's 6-12-6 and i usually add it when needed in half does.

I can also add I barely gave the corn anything this year to help it along...

So the sunshades are down and folded up. The 20x40' has served me 3 years and will have no problem next year. I spent $160 for it and it really, really makes a difference down here with the intense sun we get from mid May to mid September. Sun scalded peppers and tomatoes are virtually non-existent, and I water less.

I bought it here:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/30-percent-black-shade-cloth/shade-material

I've since purchased 2 10x20' pieces to add to the collection. So at this point the garden is 48x67' roughly 3,200sf, and we usually plant 2,500sf. I currently can cover 1,200sf. The goal is 2,400sf ;)

The bottom half of the garden, which has never been planted, although I've tilled in the goodies minus the heavy soil is 720sf. I've ordered Comfrey both Bock#14 and Bock#4. I need to see which does best here. I'm guessing Bock#4. I will plant it on the bottom.

So today we decided to make chili, a friend of mine gave me a recipe, she placed in the finals of the women's chili cook-off with this recipe.

Here's a crappy pic ;)  The lens was fogging up cuz it was boiling.

1236.jpg

The recipe, after supper ;)

Here's the recipe:

[SIZE=7.5pt]Ladie's State Chili Recipe 2014-semi finals
1 tablespoon cowtown light
3 tablespoons medium hatch
3 tablespoons Dixon
1 tablespoon onion granules
1 tablespoon paprika
3 teaspoons beef granules
Season meat balls with season salt. Boil in beef and or chicken broth. Add fresh pepper.
Boil for 45 minutes. Add 1 can of chicken and beef broth and 8 oz can of tomato sauce.

Use remainder of chili power
Add 1 tablespoon garlic
1 tablespoon cumin
Add 2nd dump when boil 5-6 bubbles
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7.5pt]So let me back up, she states to make meatballs. This is because she has a problem with the meat just dissolving.[/SIZE]

So what we did different because LB was like "I'm not buying pepper powders when you have a shoebox full"

We doubled the recipe, LB took  out 2.5 lb of chopped meat

[SIZE=7.5pt]Ladie's State Chili Recipe 2014-semi finals
1 tablespoon cowtown light    \
3 tablespoons medium hatch  \---2 table spoons Jal powder, 2 tablespoons of thai-cayenne mix----mostly Cayenne
3 tablespoons Dixon              /
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=7.5pt]1 tablespoon onion granules---2 fresh medium onion (we did double the recipe)
1 tablespoon paprika
3 teaspoons beef granules -> subbed a half cube of beef bulion
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=7.5pt]Season meat balls with season salt. Boil in beef and or chicken broth. Add fresh pepper. We added 8oz. of both chicken and beef broth.
Boil for 45 minutes. Add 1 can of chicken and beef broth and 8 oz can of tomato sauce. 16oz. of tomato sauce.

Use remainder of chili power
Add 1 tablespoon garlic_> added 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic (remember we doubled the recipe)
1 tablespoon cumin We added just 1 tablespoon, even though we doubled the recipe
Add 2nd dump when boil 5-6 bubbles \
1/4 teaspoon cayenne                      / Never added anymore.
[/SIZE]

So as it is, it tastes great! But too hot for LB. Cooling off now, and she wants to add beans to help diffuse the heat...LOL

[SIZE=7.5pt]Edit: added 2 "kurts" and 2 Jimmy Nardello peppers.[/SIZE]

Back