• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Things look good Scott,I have never done turkey jerky.I like to pic up  several birds at thanksgiving when the bottom out on prices.I now have a new idea for a couple of the. :P

Yes Scott, what does turkey jerky taste like ? I once made duck jerky and it was probably the most horrible thing I ever tasted. I never managed to properly dry the meat no matter how long I left it in the dehydrator, it was very very fat and it tasted FAT!

Essegi said:
I didn't knew that kind existed!
Nice varieties!

I'm,  wondering what it's crossed with, it has a really mild flavor and heat. I did save the seeds and am going to grow it next round.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Everything is looking good.  I think about the only thing I could plant as a cover would be winter wheat here.
 Thanks Jeff,

Anything you can get to grow is a bonus.

Here's a link that might interest you:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forages/publications/ay247.htm

PaulG said:
Hey Dev - things are looking good in your garden - it looks ready for the next round!

We're just into final harvests here, then time to pull a few plants.  Good luck getting
the Fall/Winter garden going.

Thanks Paul,

Just had to stop early and rehab that soil! I still have around  12-15 plants still going, gonna run them until a frost. The transplants are still hating any sun. I moved them into full sun today. Back in the shade again tomorrow.

Fall garden is up and running, Garlic goes in tomorrow and a few additional fall plants.

Sawyer said:

My #14 wilted in the dry mid-90s we had here back in August.  If I kept them watered adequately, they did all right.  I can see where your summer heat would be rough on them.

I'm not certain, but I think rye is even more cold-hardy than wheat.  And if you can get some hairy vetch started soon, it should hang tough for a burst of nitrogen-fixing growth in the early spring.

That scares me, we have 90+ days of high 90's and low 100's every summer. I will keep them watered no problem there, I just hope they don't struggle too much.

I already have 4 or 5 poking out of the dirt, in less than 24 hours.

I'm a bit jealous of your ability to grow a Fall garden, buddy.  But on the
other hand, I like some down time in the Fall/Winter!  Seed propagation
comes soon enough!  You are a master gardener, my friend; your place
always looks so trick.  I love your big 'shade porch' for the peppers!

randyp said:
     Things look good Scott,I have never done turkey jerky.I like to pic up  several birds at thanksgiving when the bottom out on prices.I now have a new idea for a couple of the. :P
 Thanks Randy,

We do the same, we eat turkey year 'round here. For the jerky we buy boneless breasts.

lucilanga said:
Yes Scott, what does turkey jerky taste like ? I once made duck jerky and it was probably the most horrible thing I ever tasted. I never managed to properly dry the meat no matter how long I left it in the dehydrator, it was very very fat and it tasted FAT!

It's just fantastic, and we don't use a dehydrator. The meat is fully cooked, but very slowly at 150° until done, but still moist. The seasoning we use has the cure in it, so it's safe to slow cook for 6 hours or so.

Got some hot sauce in the works...

1242.jpg

Following Ramon's Tres Alarmas MoA recipe.

Dang Scott your glog is still interesting just showing bare dirt and all the plants composted.  The freshly tilled soil looks light and fluffy, no wonder your plants do so well.  The turkey jerky is a family favorite even though I haven't made some in quite some time because I don't want to contaminate my dedicated pepper dehydrator.  Before I cared about all that I would make turkey jerky anytime I found a whole frozen turkey on sale.  Cut out the breast and save the legs and thighs for dinner.  Take the breasts and slice thin and put in a bowl with soy sauce and a tbs. of brown sugar and fresh sliced jalapenos.  Marinate for a few hours before dehydrating.  The turkey peels like string cheese with the grain of the meat and makes the best homemade jerky.  The dried jalapenos slices are icing on the cake.  Good stuff just put in a ziplock it never last more than a couple days.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Dang Scott your glog is still interesting just showing bare dirt and all the plants composted.  The freshly tilled soil looks light and fluffy, no wonder your plants do so well.  The turkey jerky is a family favorite even though I haven't made some in quite some time because I don't want to contaminate my dedicated pepper dehydrator.  Before I cared about all that I would make turkey jerky anytime I found a whole frozen turkey on sale.  Cut out the breast and save the legs and thighs for dinner.  Take the breasts and slice thin and put in a bowl with soy sauce and a tbs. of brown sugar and fresh sliced jalapenos.  Marinate for a few hours before dehydrating.  The turkey peels like string cheese with the grain of the meat and makes the best homemade jerky.  The dried jalapenos slices are icing on the cake.  Good stuff just put in a ziplock it never last more than a couple days.

Thanks Cappy,

I still have some plants going but after a transplant they still look so poor that I haven't wanted to take any pics. I'm hoping they catch up soon and show me something!

Thanks for the comments on the soil, it started out as sand, and is getting there ;)

I haven't tried the dehydrated method yet. This Jerky is cooked. But slowly to keep it moist.

I get the seasoning at http://www.dziuks.com/ They're in the next town and this guy has quite a business going on! He told me how to make the "thicker" jerkies a few years ago, as well as how he makes his dried sausages.

I was kind of surprised he shared his secrets. But I was in there buying ;)

Devv said:
 I added some brown sugar, it was a bit harsh, and is simmering. We'll let it chill in the fridge overnight and see how it does in the morning.

True that. My sauces last year were not sweetened. The next batch I make will have some Agave in it. I think some of the hotter peppers need some sweetness to help with the flavor.

Good looking start on the Tres Alarmas Sauce Scott! I made it with Orange Habaneros last year and it was my favorite at the time. I don't remember it being very rough when I made it, but I always use a little sugar to iron out the bumps in the road, so to speak. ;)

Jeff H said:

True that. My sauces last year were not sweetened. The next batch I make will have some Agave in it. I think some of the hotter peppers need some sweetness to help with the flavor.

I forgot I had Agave, and added some, as it was still harsh. Just enough to knock back the edge.

stickman said:
Good looking start on the Tres Alarmas Sauce Scott! I made it with Orange Habaneros last year and it was my favorite at the time. I don't remember it being very rough when I made it, but I always use a little sugar to iron out the bumps in the road, so to speak. ;)
 The brown sugar and Agave got the rough spots sorted out. It made 7 5oz. woozies, but one blew a cap during the boil. That's a first!

Devv said:

one blew a cap during the boil. That's a first!

Ummm, Scott. :shh: we don't boil woozies. :shh: Just fill the bottle with 200+/- degree sauce, screw on the cap and invert the bottle so that the scalding sauce can sterilize the lid. That's it.

Jeff H said:

Ummm, Scott. :shh: we don't boil woozies. :shh: Just fill the bottle with 200+/- degree sauce, screw on the cap and invert the bottle so that the scalding sauce can sterilize the lid. That's it.

Hmmm, I could have sworn the tutorial by SalsaLady said to boil them :confused:

PIC 1 said:
How did the hot sauce turn out.....that pot is well stocked !

It came out good! I used Ramon's Tres Alarmas recipe. I really need to get a food mill.

1244.jpg

Nice little bowl of heat, Scott!
The sauce looks like it turned out great!

How much longer will you be able to pull pods?

East Texas Heat said:
That looks muy delicioso mi amigo. Bummer Ramon doesn't have a glog going on this season. Garden and mini pull and sauce lookin primo sir great stuff all around.

Thanks!

Things have slowed down since I pulled the majority of the plants a few weeks ago, but I wanted to build the soil for next season ;)

And yeah I miss Ramon, he was a sparkler amongst us all here.

PaulG said:
Nice little bowl of heat, Scott!
The sauce looks like it turned out great!

How much longer will you be able to pull pods?

Thanks Paul!

I did turn out good! I'm going to let it age a while before using it.

Last year it was early December, I just started pushing nutes to the plants to get them to flower, and the weather is perfect. I'm hoping that the few I dug up and potted get back to business. The shop is insulated so the potted ones can be brought inside. One thing I've noticed is that come late August the Aphids show up, I learned to hate them!

Back