• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

JoeFish said:
Can you point me in the direction of said recipe?

That's easy, I copied this recipe straight out of his glog last year.

WalkGood Tres Alarmas Caribbean MoA Sauce
(Salsa Picante)

I edited my original formula to what follows below, my wife was so kind to take the pictures below even though she’s still in pain, hats off honey \o_ Anyone with questions feel free to ask. I have been asked how Chocho tastes and the best I can describe it is like a green apple without any tartness, very neutral and very good on it’s own IMHO.

The MoA sauce came out delicious \o/ our son could not stop eating it and I’m very happy with the result. If you try it, hope you enjoy as much as we do ^_^

31 scotch bonnet peppers (peppers this time of year are small here, with larger pods you could go with less)
2 carrots
1 chocho
1 medium size mango (not fully ripe but yellow). peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch strips (about 1 cup)
8 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch of ginger (chopped)
1 to 3 onions (depending on size, I used 2)
1 small red onion (in italics because I left it out this time)
10 allspice berries
3 ounces yellow mustard
Olive oil for frying
1/2 cup of white vinegar
4 ounces of red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about ½ lime)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• Chop up everything and keep separate, but don’t chop too small as that will be the work of the blender

• Start by sautéing onions until translucent, nothing should be browned

• Add garlic, after 1 to 2 minutes add carrots, chocho, pepper and ginger

• Keep sautéing till the carrots soften some (approximately 5 to 10 minutes)

• Add vinegar, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes

• Move all the ingredients to blender and puree

• Add all the powdered seasonings and continue blending till smooth paste

• Add water if needed, I didn’t have to but sometimes it might be needed

• Move everything back to the blender and re-blend till paste is creamy smooth

• Allow to cool some and bottle, store in a bottle that seals tight (keep refrigerated)

• Enjoy ^_^

Good looking sauce there Scott! :drooling:  Ya... a food mill is great for getting a smoother sauce when you have a large amount to process. For small batches I still just use a rubber spatula and a medium mesh sieve. If you do get a mill... don't get the one that has a bottom that pops out... it's really annoying when it does that while you're processing a batch.

Cheers!

stickman said:
don't get the one that has a bottom that pops out... it's really annoying when it does that while you're processing a batch.

Cheers!

Interesting comment. Do they really make food mills where the bottom pops out the bottom? Seems strange. I have the OXO one and while it does have a removable bottom, you can only remove it from the top after the handle is removed. I really like mine and would recommend it to anyone.

Jeff H said:

Interesting comment. Do they really make food mills where the bottom pops out the bottom? Seems strange. I have the OXO one and while it does have a removable bottom, you can only remove it from the top after the handle is removed. I really like mine and would recommend it to anyone.

It was one I borrowed from a neighbor before we got one of our own. I don't remember what make it was, but we have a Foley food mill of our own now.

JoeFish said:
Can you point me in the direction of said recipe?
 Seems Jeff beat me to it ;)

HillBilly Jeff said:

I think that is to sterilize the bottles before you fill.  That is how I do it.  I don't boil them after I put the lids on, just leave them inverted.
Well egg on my face :shh:  Lucky for me just one bottle was lost.

Jeff H said:

That's easy, I copied this recipe straight out of his glog last year.

Thanks for posting that Jeff!

stickman said:
Good looking sauce there Scott! :drooling:  Ya... a food mill is great for getting a smoother sauce when you have a large amount to process. For small batches I still just use a rubber spatula and a medium mesh sieve. If you do get a mill... don't get the one that has a bottom that pops out... it's really annoying when it does that while you're processing a batch.

Cheers!
Thanks Rick!

Jeff H said:

stickman said:

It was one I borrowed from a neighbor before we got one of our own. I don't remember what make it was, but we have a Foley food mill of our own now.
Thanks for the mill recommendations!

Well I didn't go to work today, woke up at 2AM with a fever and slept all day :tear:

East Texas Heat said:
Ack that's no fun. Get some rest, drink some fluids and get better so you can keep this awesome glog goin!

Jeff H said:
Rest up Scott and eat plenty of hot peppers. There is enough vitamin A and C in there to help you kick this cold fast.

Been resting all day, and am currently trying a rum  cure :D  Along with some high volume rock! Seems OK at this point :party:

Thanks for the vids!

Feeling much better today, but still would have stayed home from work, cuz I can :D

In another life when I leaned over hot engines for a living, there was no such thing.

I rained some last night and we had a nice light rain until around noon, just 3/4" but it's on top of the 1.9"s we got last week. I think my lawn mower has gotten more use this year than the last 5 combined.

OK, to prove I do still have peppers growing:

1245.jpg

Still not ready for full sun, but liking the mid 60's and rain. The large White Bhut I dug up a few weeks ago. No flowers YET.

Edit: In reviewing this, I noticed the old shovel. Hah! it's done some digging for sure!

1246.jpg

JA Hab transplant, in typical JA Hab fashion, flowering and still supporting pods.

1247.jpg

Some non's, Multiplying Onions, Broccoli, Carrots, Radishes, and Romaine Lettuce. Garlic planted last weekend. I also planted a second raised bed with the same last weekend.

1248.jpg

This MoA transplant is doing really well, in full sun, and budding again.

1249.jpg

LB's Pineapples, she's like "where's the fruit? I want Pineapples" They will come in time ;)

Asparagus are going nuts!

1250.jpg

Last raised bed with peppers. The NagaBrains are flowering the most. They're a bit yellow, I hit them several times with nutes, only to have it pour down rain. Not to complain about the rain, around here the thought is bring it!

1253.jpg

A few of the Comfrey plants Coe's are in the black pots. Out of 12 planted 10 have come up. The first root cutting popped today, and I'm sure the other two will soon follow. I wanted to plant them today, but it rained and I want it to be a bit drier when I dig. The garden has enough heavy soil in it now to where the dirt sticks to the shovel <---which is good!

1252.jpg

This Bahamian Goat pepper has had pods all summer, they got smaller in the heat, but it's still going. Otis doing a photo bomb...LOL

1254.jpg

Gotta keep LB happy, she loves fresh Tom's ;)

1251.jpg

And last but not least the growdown losers, they stalled mid June. And my Clover is growing slow but sure...

Thanks for reading!

Roguejim said:
Scott, will those pineapples really produce fruit?  That's a new one on me.

Oh yes! You cut the top off leaving 1" of "meat", turn it upside down for 4 days or so. Then plant it so the soil covers the pineapple part leaving just the leaves at the top exposed. After close to 2 years you get a Pineapple.

159.jpg

491.jpg

This one's from last season, we should get many next year.

Devv said:

Oh yes! You cut the top off leaving 1" of "meat", turn it upside down for 4 days or so. Then plant it so the soil covers the pineapple part leaving just the leaves at the top exposed. After close to 2 years you get a Pineapple.

159.jpg

491.jpg

This one's from last season, we should get many next year.

Wow!!!!  One pineapple per plant?  I wonder how they like snow...

Roguejim said:

Wow!!!!  One pineapple per plant?  I wonder how they like snow...

Um, they don't, I planted 10 in the garden and it went into the mid 20's. We lost all of them.

That's why they're in pots, in fact I have 7 gal pots on the way.

We bring them inside when it get cold. If you have room for when it freezes, they're an interesting plant to grow.

Devv said:

Um, they don't, I planted 10 in the garden and it went into the mid 20's. We lost all of them.

That's why they're in pots, in fact I have 7 gal pots on the way.

We bring them inside when it get cold. If you have room for when it freezes, they're an interesting plant to grow.

Thanks.  How many fruit per plant? 
Any idea what "lows" they can tolerate? 
Any special ferts required?  I'm doing this!

Back