• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Scott
Are you worried about them spreading to parts of your garden that you do not want them?  I ask, because of what I hear about the long roots and trouble with moving them in the future. 
Several years back I planted Horse Radish in my garden.  Due to the hard rocky soil around here, they did not do that well, but they were also very difficult to get all pieces of the roots pulled up.  For the next 5 years, my tilling did nothing but chop and spread them in the garden.  Took a lot of patient digging to get them all eliminated (at least I hope they are all gone)

I have made a separate bed for my Comfrey just to be safe.  Now to get the plants in the ground!

bpwilly said:
Scott
Are you worried about them spreading to parts of your garden that you do not want them?  I ask, because of what I hear about the long roots and trouble with moving them in the future. 
Several years back I planted Horse Radish in my garden.  Due to the hard rocky soil around here, they did not do that well, but they were also very difficult to get all pieces of the roots pulled up.  For the next 5 years, my tilling did nothing but chop and spread them in the garden.  Took a lot of patient digging to get them all eliminated (at least I hope they are all gone)

I have made a separate bed for my Comfrey just to be safe.  Now to get the plants in the ground!

Bill,

Here where it doesn't rain much it shouldn't be a problem. If I want them gone all I do is not water them. Both the Bocking4 and Bocking14 are sterile, so no seeds to worry about. So if I want to move them I would dig them up and keep that area dry. Really easy to do from June to September here.

I had a bit of a startle Sunday. I went into the well house to change the sediment filters; the cutoff is about 2' from the southwest corner of the building. As I leaned forward I saw movement, a head turn. I backed out of there, quickly, I might add, happy I wasn't bitten by a scared wild animal. I went back in there with a flashlight at first, because the corner is dark and decided it was a ring-tailed cat. It had to be sick, maybe even rabid. You would think it would have reacted to my presence if healthy. I got the old Diana break-over pellet gun (1000 fps) and did a quick point and shoot, and retreat! It's body was both Squirrel and Cat like; I know they're kin to Racoons, but understand why they call them ring-tailed cats. The body was about 13"s long and the tail 16-18"s long. I've been here almost 26 years, and have spent extensive time in the field hunting and this is the first one I've run across. We usually keep the door to the well house closed, except when filling the pool which we did Saturday, as we use the treated water.

Devv said:

Bill,

Here where it doesn't rain much it shouldn't be a problem. If I want them gone all I do is not water them. Both the Bocking4 and Bocking14 are sterile, so no seeds to worry about. So if I want to move them I would dig them up and keep that area dry. Really easy to do from June to September here.

I had a bit of a startle Sunday. I went into the well house to change the sediment filters; the cutoff is about 2' from the southwest corner of the building. As I leaned forward I saw movement, a head turn. I backed out of there, quickly, I might add, happy I wasn't bitten by a scared wild animal. I went back in there with a flashlight at first, because the corner is dark and decided it was a ring-tailed cat. It had to be sick, maybe even rabid. You would think it would have reacted to my presence if healthy. I got the old Diana break-over pellet gun (1000 fps) and did a quick point and shoot, and retreat! It's body was both Squirrel and Cat like; I know they're kin to Racoons, but understand why they call them ring-tailed cats. The body was about 13"s long and the tail 16-18"s long. I've been here almost 26 years, and have spent extensive time in the field hunting and this is the first one I've run across. We usually keep the door to the well house closed, except when filling the pool which we did Saturday, as we use the treated water.
Crap!  That gave me the creeps.  A ring-tailed cat...both Squirrel and Cat like...possibly rabid??  I don't think we have such animals here in southern Oregon.  We do have a lot of skunks, however, which my dogs always seem to find.

I found a Google image of a ring-tailed cat.  I don't like it one bit...

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ring+tailed+cat&ei=UTF-8&fr=w3i&type=W3i_DS,157,0_0,Search,20130521,19858,0,18,0

Awesome story, Scott!

@ Jim - I can relate.  Grew up in Klamath Falls.  Skunks always around.

Racoons and the varmint you speak of have a history like about no other in the wild for rabies.Shoot first ask questions later. ;)

Roguejim said:
Crap!  That gave me the creeps.  A ring-tailed cat...both Squirrel and Cat like...possibly rabid??  I don't think we have such animals here in southern Oregon.  We do have a lot of skunks, however, which my dogs always seem to find.

I found a Google image of a ring-tailed cat.  I don't like it one bit...

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ring+tailed+cat&ei=UTF-8&fr=w3i&type=W3i_DS,157,0_0,Search,20130521,19858,0,18,0

Yeah, I was none too pleased that I had to get that critter out of the well house, I didn't go back in there until Monday when I got home. It had passed and I used a shovel to remove it. Now Otis has a thing for skunks, he's been sprayed 6 times in the last 12 months. He's 5 for 6 killing them. I'm really surprised they can squeeze through the fence, and they must be really stupid or stealthy with 3 dogs in the yard...

PaulG said:
Awesome story, Scott!

@ Jim - I can relate.  Grew up in Klamath Falls.  Skunks always around.

Thanks Paul,

It was one I would rather not experienced.

So in mentioning skunks, we had just moved here.  I hadn't done any fencing yet and it was 20 acres with just perimeter fences on 3 sides. I kept seeing skunks under the Mercury Vapor light the electric company supplies. So me the smart guy, who's worried about his 4 and 7 year old kids, sneaks out the front door with the 12 guage. Mind you I'm bare foot in my underwear; I turn the corner and fire, I got one of them. I head back into the house with a "yeah baby" attitude, I got one! Until I walked back into the bedroom, which got a really, really healthy dose of skunk smell. LB has the covers over her head; we slept in the living room that night.

randyp said:
     Racoons and the varmint you speak of have a history like about no other in the wild for rabies.Shoot first ask questions later. ;)

Yeah, we have coons here too. Can't grow a cantaloupe here; as they steal them...every time.

stickman said:
Interesting... it looks more like a Lemur than a Cat, but as you say... if rabies is suspected, don't take any chances!

I looked up Lemurs, and they look strikingly similar. The ring-tailed cat was probably named that due to the similarity in it's head and feet compared to a cat, although the body itself is way more squirrel looking. I'm just glad it didn't come at me and hang on my ear or face. Or I'd be getting rabies shots. 2' is too close for me.

Everything still looking great Scott. You don't stop do you? I'm loving these cooler temperatures although yesterday way had 4-6 inches of rain with some flooding around town.

thirdcoasttx said:
Everything still looking great Scott. You don't stop do you? I'm loving these cooler temperatures although yesterday way had 4-6 inches of rain with some flooding around town.

Thanks Daniel,

I backed way off compared to last year in September; one cool thing is the wife pitches in. Can't beat that ;)

I'm jealous of those rain amounts; I sure wish it would do that up this way!

Jim (Roguejim) sent me some seeds!

1268.jpg

All of these are new to me, and I look forward to growing them out next season for sure! Thanks Jim!

Took a few pics of the garden:

1269.jpg

1270.jpg

The garden is now in 3 sections, and that won't last ;) . The top is a mix of Crimson Clover and Rye. The clover is super slow to get started, but it's finally doing something. It was planted the first week of September and came right up. The Rye was planted 9 days ago. The center was in clover too, but weeds took over, too many to pull so I tilled it and planted the Rye. The two top sections have had 3 applications of RCW, plus 1 of shredded leaves. I tilled all of that in to increase soil tilth. The bottom is straight up sand with a heavy layer of RCW and a few applications of manure and leaves. I don't use this part yet. The long range goal is to add more materials and some heavy soil. Then I would like to alternate plantings so that 50% gets a rest each season.

Nice shot of the garden, I see the Comfrey getting ready to help everything grow next year!   Glads you avoided a unpleasant situation with the Ring-tailed cat.  Weird critter, kind of a hybrid like a lot of our pepper varieties?

Stay safe, as I hear the rabies shots are no fun.  We are lucky here, possums or attack slugs!  And a lot less possums that I had when I lived in Portland, Ore.   :onfire:

Thanks Bill,

The Comfrey seems to have reached the composted cow manure, as the plants have really darkened up this last week.

We have the full boat here regarding critters, even a Cougar will show up every so often.

PaulG said:
Awesome plan for the garden, Scott.  
Nice to have that kind of room to play with!

Thanks Paul,

Living out here has it's pluses and minuses like any place. I love the privacy, the land, and cheap taxes; but the workload, now that I'm starting to feel ;)

Devv said:

Thanks Paul,

Living out here has it's pluses and minuses like any place. I love the privacy, the land, and cheap taxes; but the workload, now that I'm starting to feel ;)
I hear that, brother!  The same amount of work seems to
become more 'load' as I get older   :lol:
You do a wonderful job with your spread, my friend.

PaulG said:
I hear that, brother!  The same amount of work seems to
become more 'load' as I get older   :lol:
You do a wonderful job with your spread, my friend.

Thanks Paul ;)

It's a labor of love, I just love being outside doing anything. Except nowadays it's in a straw hat and a long sleeved hat :shh:

And I agree, funny how all of a sudden something you've done for years easily is a bit more work now. I have just 5 years left sitting at that desk shrinking..LOL

Garden is looking good, Scott. Nice collection of varieties you got from Jim. Have to note though, that the correct name Isabella Island Hab is Habanero Galapagos Isabella Red (PI 585278). Very sweet Habanero, low in heat.

Thanks Stefan!

Jim sure did me right!

I can only roll placentas between my fingers for so long harvesting seeds before I get really bored.

Here's an unfinished list, all 2014 OP unless noted:

Bahamian Goat
Bishops Crown
Brazilian Starfish
Brown Egg
Cherry Pepper
Choc Bonnnet
Cream Fatalii
Fish Pepper
Funky Reaper 2013
Goat Horn
JA Hab
Jay's Red Ghost Scorp
Jigsaw
Jimmy Nardello
Kurt
MoA
NagaBrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Scotch Bonnet Indian Red
Sweet Paprika
Tepin Lemon Drop
Urfa Biber
White 7 Pot
White Bhut

Any regulars that visit here are welcome to ask for some. Some are in limited numbers, and I have more to process...

Quite a selection, my friend!

I wouldn't mind swapping for some of the red Scotch Bonnet seeds.
Once I get my seeds sorted, I'll put up a list.  You already have most,
but there are one or two you might be interested in.

PaulG said:
Quite a selection, my friend!

I wouldn't mind swapping for some of the red Scotch Bonnet seeds.
Once I get my seeds sorted, I'll put up a list.  You already have most,
but there are one or two you might be interested in.

You're welcome to anything I have Paul ;)

I took a few pics and it's so bright out I couldn't see the display. But did manage to get a few.

1274.jpg

The White Bhut has a few pods now, and plenty of flowers.

1275.jpg

JA Hab just never stops producing, it has a few tiny pods set.

1271.jpg

Plenty of pods on the Bahamian Goat, but most are rather small.

Back