• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Sawyer said:

Glad to hear you got off so lightly, Scott. Any problem is a hassle, but it could have been a lot worse.  I'm leaving my taps dripping again tonight.  "They" say it's only getting down to 15 tomorrow morning, but considering it's already 16, I'm not taking any chances.

No, no, no, haven't you heard?  You gotta call it a "polar vortex" now.  It's more panic-inducing than "cold front".
We did get off lightly considering my mistake for not draining them. it was in the plans but whoops?

They're drained now, lights are on in the shop and wellhouse. and the pool filter is running. Morning is slated for 23-26° depending on who you listen too.

Now they are calling it the "Polar Plunge", I call this last one "Polar Plunge Revenge", the last one wasn't bad enough I guess...

Super Hots Canada said:

lol .. Extremely random weather is par for the course here in Nova Scotia. We're actually getting more snow this year than we have in years.. BUT even the worst of it so far is minuscule compared to what we used to get when I was, oh say, 20-25 years ago. Back then the snow would be piled up 6-8 feet pretty sweet from November through to April...  Now it's amazing if we even -see- snow by the end of December.
25  years ago it rained here, still never enough but we could have a lawn. This winter is real similar to '89. That's the last time we had this kind of cold here..Hope that means more rain...

PaulG said:
Scott, your round one plants are monsters!  Good work.  
The garden bed looks like it is coming along nicely.

The MoAs are coming along nicely, as are the JA Red Habs.  They seem
to be outgrowing their yellowing issues.  Maybe Shane is right about having
been planted a little deeper and taking a few minutes to get squared away.
Thanks Paul!

They really got roughed up this weekend with the wind blowing like it was, so they're not so pretty. I did the plant rotation today and more snipping is going to have to happen. They ought to be nice and thick come dirt day!

Glad to hear the babies are coming around, I have some come up yellowish too. I just treat them as the others. I've been lucky lost 2 seedlings that came up tiny, never greened and dried up despite having enough water. Lost 2 to damping. And probably 2 more to helmets. Not bad considering how many popped I would have to actually count but I'm somewhere between 130-140 plants, then there's 20 maties too...come on spring!

meatfreak said:
Congrats with the newborns, Scott :) Hope they taste as good as they did last year!
Thanks Stefan!

Had 3 more pop today:

Jalapeno Coyame-potted
 Jalapeno Gigantia-potted
 Urfa Biber-2 hooks

Thanks again for the seeds!

Holy smokes Scott! Took me a minute here but I got caught up! Your plants look amazingly healthy, and green. The ferment will def be tasty. How many plant do you have going right now? Looks like a bunch, with newcomers everyday. Gonna be a huge grow for sure. So many awesome varieties going, your def gonna be burning up this summer and fall. Can't wait to see some harvests!

Jamison said:
Holy smokes Scott! Took me a minute here but I got caught up! Your plants look amazingly healthy, and green. The ferment will def be tasty. How many plant do you have going right now? Looks like a bunch, with newcomers everyday. Gonna be a huge grow for sure. So many awesome varieties going, your def gonna be burning up this summer and fall. Can't wait to see some harvests!
Thanks Jamison,

I just got in from SA, but before I left I potted a Jal Coyame and an Urfer Biber, so I'm somewhere around 135-140, maybe 145. I dunno, I have to take inventory. Then there's 20 or so tomatoes and a few herbs.

The big gals go out for a few days starting tomorrow, until Monday I think.

maximumcapsicum said:
Oh man! Annuum time! I better get moving!
Yes it is Adam!

I have a few of the early ones that need re-potting...need more room!

So before I went to SA, I had an hour to kill before LB got off. I got 2 bundles of Onions planted and watered. They're 2 weeks behind already. I've never pushed Onions before, but I'm going to give it a whirl!

Can't wait to see the urfa biber grown out. Biber means pepper in Turkish. Ironically I think that's how it sounds when we say pepper to them. Ah, language.

Wondering if its the same tasty pepper they stick on the ol' kebabs.

maximumcapsicum said:
Can't wait to see the urfa biber grown out. Biber means pepper in Turkish. Ironically I think that's how it sounds when we say pepper to them. Ah, language.

Wondering if its the same tasty pepper they stick on the ol' kebabs.
I've never tasted one, but Rick and Stefan like them, so they must be good. The seeds came from Stefan (Meatfreak). I have sooo many new tries taste wise this season, thanks to the good people here!

JJJessee said:
Glad your weather's breaking good,Scott.  We're suppose to get a week of thaw too. Good luck with the onions.
I'm only like 2 months behind ya.  :rolleyes:
Tomorrow I hope to get the rest in the ground. And hope to find the time to finish the raised bed for the Asparagus, then I have to fill the dang thing...but hoping to have that done by Saturday.

I'm really hoping for a real break in the weather, but this crazy place goes from zero to 100mph real fast!

The little ones are looking stellar...and your weather is headed back to normal...ish. Good things on your horizon Scott!

stc3248 said:
The little ones are looking stellar...and your weather is headed back to normal...ish. Good things on your horizon Scott!
Thanks Shane!

The big girls are looking a little rough from the winds a round here. I've been trimming some as they are getting too tall for the grow station. It's all good they should have a nice root system by the time they hit dirt. Got a bunch that need to be potted up this weekend too. NOT planting anymore seeds!

maximumcapsicum said:
Hunker down. Winter weather is taking a roll here...
Adam,

I hear Atlanta had a rough go with the last weather system.

We should be good until Sunday  here, which is good I have some catching up to do!

Haha! Hoth-lanta.

Can't wait till the update. 

I have good sunlight that comes into big picture windows of the hallway of my apartment building. Thinking about sneaking the seedlings into the sunlight for a couple hours on the weekend mornings I'm here. Very bright light and warm too. Not sure if its worth the trouble though. Maybe let them get a little bigger first, though they're lanking up a little bit.

maximumcapsicum said:
Haha! Hoth-lanta.

Can't wait till the update. 

I have good sunlight that comes into big picture windows of the hallway of my apartment building. Thinking about sneaking the seedlings into the sunlight for a couple hours on the weekend mornings I'm here. Very bright light and warm too. Not sure if its worth the trouble though. Maybe let them get a little bigger first, though they're lanking up a little bit.
You'll be surprised how well they do in a south window. Last year I germed and I had mine in a south window until plant out. They didn't get leggy and grew nicely. So you can try and rotate them like I've been doing...so far so good.

I'll post tomorrow, this week was crazy. I got all the onions planted and watered though. The first ones in are already showing good signs, greening up nicely.

Ran the tiller for a while, been dealing with sciatica, since last week, don't know what cranked it up. It hasn't done this since '87.
I'm blaming the Polar plunge, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Plan on some R&C therapy tonight :drunk:
After I was done in the garden I up-potted 8 or 9 plants, I'm going to run out of pots real soon...film @ 11.

Devv said:
You'll be surprised how well they do in a south window. Last year I germed and I had mine in a south window until plant out. They didn't get leggy and grew nicely. So you can try and rotate them like I've been doing...so far so good.

I'll post tomorrow, this week was crazy. I got all the onions planted and watered though. The first ones in are already showing good signs, greening up nicely.

Ran the tiller for a while, been dealing with sciatica, since last week, don't know what cranked it up. It hasn't done this since '87.
I'm blaming the Polar plunge, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Plan on some R&C therapy tonight :drunk:
After I was done in the garden I up-potted 8 or 9 plants, I'm going to run out of pots real soon...film @ 11.

Haha, only problem is the south window is in the apartment building's common hallway. Totally against the rules, etc, but the light is glorious. I'd basically have to sit and watch them. Wouldn't be a big deal to write or grade out there on my laptop though.

I've been pretty impressed with the CFL's to be honest... alot better than the east window I used last year, but that could be because I can run them for 16 hours. The seedlings are a tad tall for comfort, but they're no near as leggy as they got last year. I could always double the lights too, just don't think its necessary and I don't want them to grow too fast anyway... just want them to be strong.

I have a shaded balcony on the back of my unit. It's in a courtyard so I never really get direct sunlight. Was thinking it would be a great place for hardening off at the minimum, but what do you think about rotating them out there on warm days to get the shaded sunlight? Would it be a significant improvement over the artificial light?

Sciatica nerve pain is def THE worst. I remember last summer when I was down here working on the house, I had a week straight of that shit till it finally subsided. Haven't had it since, (thank god). Little at a time buddy is the key for me. And at least you don't feel worthless if you get up and do something for a little bit. More babies everyday! Plant out is gonna be huge man. Better relax and get ready for that!

GA Growhead said:
Feeling for ya Scott. The passing fronts always get my blame too!
I know your back is way worse then mine Jason, I rarely have troubles if I keep myself between 195-200lbs and do my stretches and exercises 5 days a week. The really weird thing was this was not an injury. I think it was inactivity and the colder than normal weather. It seems the more I do the better I feel. How's that song go "you never slow down you never grow old". I'm a believer!

maximumcapsicum said:

Haha, only problem is the south window is in the apartment building's common hallway. Totally against the rules, etc, but the light is glorious. I'd basically have to sit and watch them. Wouldn't be a big deal to write or grade out there on my laptop though.

I've been pretty impressed with the CFL's to be honest... alot better than the east window I used last year, but that could be because I can run them for 16 hours. The seedlings are a tad tall for comfort, but they're no near as leggy as they got last year. I could always double the lights too, just don't think its necessary and I don't want them to grow too fast anyway... just want them to be strong.

I have a shaded balcony on the back of my unit. It's in a courtyard so I never really get direct sunlight. Was thinking it would be a great place for hardening off at the minimum, but what do you think about rotating them out there on warm days to get the shaded sunlight? Would it be a significant improvement over the artificial light?
I'm not sure if shade will help the harden for the time when they hit full sunlight, however it will help with the colder weather. I know mine have sunburn, that's OK, it just makes the leaves ugly some. I want them in full sun as much as possible. But dang they grow so fast when they're outside its crazy!

Jamison said:
Sciatica nerve pain is def THE worst. I remember last summer when I was down here working on the house, I had a week straight of that shit till it finally subsided. Haven't had it since, (thank god). Little at a time buddy is the key for me. And at least you don't feel worthless if you get up and do something for a little bit. More babies everyday! Plant out is gonna be huge man. Better relax and get ready for that!
You betcha!

My second back injury was in 1987, got rammed broadside on a test drive, boss was with me in the passenger seat. Took me two years from the '85 injury to get well and then that happened. Spent 8 weeks off that time. Felt like a sardine can opener was peeling the skin off my left foot. All they gave me was Tylenol 4, it worked with a couple of shots ;)  After that healed I was good, the rehab people were super and taught me how to maintain, which I continue to do 5 days a week even now. But this one was weird, I didn't injure myself, it just started to cramp and hurt, foot still tingles.

At work this week I walked as much as I could and did my rehab routine, always felt better at the end of the day, but in the middle of the night it would come back.

So today I walked it off and did whatever I needed to do, so far OK. Tomorrow will tell. I'm hoping the more I do, without strain will help.

Way too many plants! Jason is planting 350? I can't even imagine how he's going to keep up!

Jeff H said:
Almost 1 PM Eastern and no sign of Scott. That R&C therapy must have been a strong treatment.  :rofl:
LOL!

I was a working boy all day. Was up at 6AM. Went and signed on the loan for the new well, bought some PVC, and wood for the hoop house. Finished building the raised bed for the Asparagus, LB and I filled the raised bed, 160 gals of used potting soil plus 6 bags of new soil, added 3"s of heavy soil to help with moisture, Asparagus is planted. Tilled the spot where the first hoop house goes and set that up. Did some re-potting and plant separation. Bottom watered over 100 plants, and then hauled them inside as it's getting cold again. Busy day!

HillBilly Jeff said:
I would love to be able to be running the tiller today.
I wish your weather was good enough for you to do so!

I have a few pics, today just blew by but we got a lot done.

Group shot, a few are wind blown, and this was before watering. Tom's down below, the first to germ plants are falling over, they will go in one of the hoop houses.

330.JPG

The first hoop house. It's 6x12', I'm going to monitor the temps for a week and then once I learn how it behaves I will fill it up. I want a second.

331.JPG

Split up the two Manzano's without killing either..yeah!
332.JPG

These are the ones I repotted last night and this morning, a mix of Chinense and Annuum's some are drooping a bit.
333.JPG

After a really long day, Prime rib and King crab for dinner, with a popper and shrooms. Damn that went down good!
334.JPG

Back