• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Devv said:
Thanks Adam!

Yeah the commute...7.5 miles a day one way...I work for the local ISD..it's like being semi retired after 25 years of stooping over cars...

Independent school district?

That's still a pretty tiny commute for the space payoff. I can imagine it's pretty great not to be stooping over cars though.

Sounds like you might want to try to get a worm colony going. Not sure why they aren't there. Maybe get one of those worm composters and get a colony going, then start introducing them into your garden area every so often.

Cold, Scott. I think. Let it warm up a few days more. And also, you are in a typically arid, hot climate, thus, nightcrawlers--the kind that can withstand cold--are accustomed to their climate. I think they went a little deeper than your till for a few days; try hitting with some water in a few spots if dry, let it warm up and just dig down a little. I know I have worms for years out there but were I to till it now, I'd see none; they too have limits.

But man, from gorgeous looks of those plants? You may have best grow in States on here! (And if you don't I know that you compete only with your personal best; am thinking this is a brilliant plan and damn those plants are purty! Land is gorgeous . . . I don't see how, barring crazy act of nature, not!)

Yeah on the wet head, coming from Austin in October? In City, went for run in Central Park first morning with wet hair. Combined with sweat, my head looked like Zhivago's beard when he treks through Siberia. I mean we just flew out and it was 95F; I was intoxicated when we landed, didn't feel cold, so next morning, hangover remedy: cold shower, run and frozen hair. Gave me a clue if it ever turns gray. :rofl:

If IRS accepts my dependents, let me know if ya got space for me to build a small cabin; I'll be ya'll's cowgirl. But we gotta get some farm equipment like mulcher/chipper, nice tractor with all implements, Bobcat, splitter for wood for my cabin for the short while heat's needed. Shit, we could get a farm subsidy :rofl: . Kills me, man: everybody in Congress gets a farm subsidy. "Yes; I live in San Fran but I plant a seed. I live in P-Town with an 'earth garden' but I plant a seed." Damn them.

maximumcapsicum said:

Independent school district?

That's still a pretty tiny commute for the space payoff. I can imagine it's pretty great not to be stooping over cars though.

Sounds like you might want to try to get a worm colony going. Not sure why they aren't there. Maybe get one of those worm composters and get a colony going, then start introducing them into your garden area every so often.
Yes sir!

I've worked here in Devine since 1994, worked at the local Chevy dealer until 1999 and then retired from the auto industry. My 2004 truck just turned 90k, only fill it once a month... :D

I did some reading and there's a worm farm in Dallas that sells worms and worm farms. I was hoping someone would have some good info here. I hate to buy worms @ $35.00 a pound and they die..

annie57 said:
Cold, Scott. I think. Let it warm up a few days more. And also, you are in a typically arid, hot climate, thus, nightcrawlers--the kind that can withstand cold--are accustomed to their climate. I think they went a little deeper than your till for a few days; try hitting with some water in a few spots if dry, let it warm up and just dig down a little. I know I have worms for years out there but were I to till it now, I'd see none; they too have limits.

I have never in close to 25 years seen a worm in the garden. Even when digging in the summer 2.5' to cap off a pipe. I know the garden should support them, it's loaded with goodies for them. The till I did was 3-4", I just need to kill the cover crops. I did go out and dig down about 12"s after I read your post this morning. I liked what I saw. A nice network of roots from the cover crops and beautiful soil all the way down, I never hit the hardpan. I intend to not till like I have in the past ;)

But man, from gorgeous looks of those plants? You may have best grow in States on here! (And if you don't I know that you compete only with your personal best; am thinking this is a brilliant plan and damn those plants are purty! Land is gorgeous . . . I don't see how, barring crazy act of nature, not!)

Awe you're making me blush, I just try not to over pamper and let them grow.

Yeah on the wet head, coming from Austin in October? In City, went for run in Central Park first morning with wet hair. Combined with sweat, my head looked like Zhivago's beard when he treks through Siberia. I mean we just flew out and it was 95F; I was intoxicated when we landed, didn't feel cold, so next morning, hangover remedy: cold shower, run and frozen hair. Gave me a clue if it ever turns gray. :rofl:

LOL, it was so cold I could feel the hairs in my nose stiffen too. That's one reason we didn't stay long...that and suburban living...I couldn't handle having nothing to do. Lawn was mowed...now what? This place keeps me busy ;)

If IRS accepts my dependents, let me know if ya got space for me to build a small cabin; I'll be ya'll's cowgirl. But we gotta get some farm equipment like mulcher/chipper, nice tractor with all implements, Bobcat, splitter for wood for my cabin for the short while heat's needed. Shit, we could get a farm subsidy :rofl: . Kills me, man: everybody in Congress gets a farm subsidy. "Yes; I live in San Fran but I plant a seed. I live in P-Town with an 'earth garden' but I plant a seed." Damn them.

I have most of that gear, tractor has a bucket but not many things to hook to it. A chipper is on my list! But the well comes first...The log splitter and tractor saved this getting old man...We do have ag use, but wish I could get paid not to plant...that would be cool!

OK I have to take some pics..
Here's some of the latest arrivals:

Scotch Bonnet Indian Red Stefan (MeatFreak) 2 of them
321.jpg

322.jpg

Brown 7 Pot John (Sawyer) 2 of them
323.jpg

324.jpg

NagaBrain Gary (Windchicken) That seed casing looks like a fist around it's throat
325.jpg

Datil Jason (GA Growhead)

326.jpg

Tabago Seasoning (GA Growhead)
327.jpg

Bahamian Goat Pepper Jason (GA Growhead)
328.jpg

Manzano Rick (Stickman) still 2 here and they both are getting their ducks in a row..
329.jpg

My guess on worms is you'll have to innoculate and probably ranch them too. Probably too hot/dry in the local natural habitat to support them year round. But you're amendments to the garden very well might at this point if it doesn't get too hot.

There might be a special bred that works better there. I'm trying to revitalize my red wriggler colony inside this winter. You may have to do some worm wrangling to keep them in their zone in the summer. If you have night soil temps that are above 80°  that will really make it tough on a R. wiggler or a E. nightcrawler. Alabama Jumpers, on the other hand, would be more likely a heat tolerant variety being they are from the South. :)

Pinoy83 said:
babiesssss.....lucky u get manzanos to sprout....
You wouldn't believe how many seeds it took to get those to pop, and then they did and were all twisted looking. It seems they will do OK now....I really want one to produce this season.

maximumcapsicum said:
Great sprouts Scott! Got to get some worms going!
Thanks Adam!

Going to check into what's out here and could work...I miss the work they do..

GA Growhead said:
Looking nice Scott! Gotta have those in the collection!
Thanks Jason!

I have only a few in the wings that haven't come up yet, still hoping!
JJJessee said:
My guess on worms is you'll have to innoculate and probably ranch them too. Probably too hot/dry in the local natural habitat to support them year round. But you're amendments to the garden very well might at this point if it doesn't get too hot.

There might be a special bred that works better there. I'm trying to revitalize my red wriggler colony inside this winter. You may have to do some worm wrangling to keep them in their zone in the summer. If you have night soil temps that are above 80°  that will really make it tough on a R. wiggler or a E. nightcrawler. Alabama Jumpers, on the other hand, would be more likely a heat tolerant variety being they are from the South. :)
Thanks for the reply JJJ, I was wondering if it was heat related, and it's really dry unless I supplement. An outfit in Dallas sells, I just hope they tell me the truth, as to whether they will survive here. I guess a small purchase as a test wouldn't be so bad to try..

Thanks again for the info!

Holy crap Devv, been away from here for a couple a few months and your already rolling strong.  I am just starting to put my list together, later than I wanted but the little one now crawling around the house has had me tied up every minute I've been home.  Will take me sometime and go back through all the pages but just from the first page it looks like you are coming out swinging.  

Everything's going great guns for you Scott... I agree with Annie, you're gonna have one of the best grows in the country! Glad to see you got some good-looking Manzanos going, and now you're on round 3... Good on ya!

Seacowboy said:
Holy crap Devv, been away from here for a couple a few months and your already rolling strong.  I am just starting to put my list together, later than I wanted but the little one now crawling around the house has had me tied up every minute I've been home.  Will take me sometime and go back through all the pages but just from the first page it looks like you are coming out swinging.  
Thanks!

I got burned lst season by starting to late, this year it aint happenin'.

Although I may have started a but early ;)

Jeff H said:
Hey Scott, you never did say if you escaped damage with those frozen pipes or not. Hopefully everything works out well for you.
Jeff,

I had a filter crack, that's it. The filter was there because the casing was dropping rust and it was clogging the sprinkler screens. So all in all I got off easy, I just eliminated it.

Thanks for asking!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Excellent looking plants.  Looks like you had some extra wet pellets for a spell.  I had the same issue on a couple too.  I think the dome condesates and runs down and drips all in one spot.

Have a great night.
Thanks Jeff!

Almost have all the varieties up, what pops is all I'm doing this season. Actually I had just hit them with water the day before, they were getting dry. They have a fan on them so the quickly lose the excess moisture.

stickman said:
Everything's going great guns for you Scott... I agree with Annie, you're gonna have one of the best grows in the country! Glad to see you got some good-looking Manzanos going, and now you're on round 3... Good on ya!
Thanks Rick!

I'm very fortunate this year, the plants have been cooperating. I did find a plant the other day while bringing them out that had aphids, just a few, but it's been washed off good and in solitary confinement. Now I have to watch extra carefully!

I was really pleased the Manzano's straightened out. The coty's and first true leaves were really malformed looking, but I just let them be. Hopefully they will continue to gain strength and be productive.

capsidadburn said:
+2 Best Grow! More babies for Scott!
OK, now I'm blushing again...Oh and the pressure...LOL

Thanks for the compliments Mike!

Penny said:
Cute lil sprouts, well done Scott :dance:
Thanks Penny!

Their still popping! Now the problem is where to put them? I'm really hoping the weather gets more normal. Every three days in comes a new front...really a not typical winter here...or probably anywhere ;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Very dedicated. Pretty crazy running all of those babies on the inside, getting those sizes this early! It's all gonna amount to a HUGE pile of pods.
Thanks Adam!

Exactly what I'm hoping for! I say SFRB's! ;)

Devv said:
I had a filter crack, that's it. The filter was there because the casing was dropping rust and it was clogging the sprinkler screens. So all in all I got off easy, I just eliminated it.

Glad to hear you got off so lightly, Scott. Any problem is a hassle, but it could have been a lot worse.  I'm leaving my taps dripping again tonight.  "They" say it's only getting down to 15 tomorrow morning, but considering it's already 16, I'm not taking any chances.

Devv said:
Every three days in comes a new front...really a not typical winter here...or probably anywhere ;)

No, no, no, haven't you heard?  You gotta call it a "polar vortex" now.  It's more panic-inducing than "cold front".

Sawyer said:

No, no, no, haven't you heard?  You gotta call it a "polar vortex" now.  It's more panic-inducing than "cold front".

lol .. Extremely random weather is par for the course here in Nova Scotia. We're actually getting more snow this year than we have in years.. BUT even the worst of it so far is minuscule compared to what we used to get when it was, oh say, 20-25 years ago. Back then the snow would be piled up 6-8 feet pretty well from November through to April...  Now it's amazing if we even -see- snow by the end of December.

[[ edited: Feb 4 2014 - Fixed "it" instead of "I" and "well" instead of "sweet" ]]

Scott, your round one plants are monsters!  Good work.  
The garden bed looks like it is coming along nicely.

The MoAs are coming along nicely, as are the JA Red Habs.  They seem
to be outgrowing their yellowing issues.  Maybe Shane is right about having
been planted a little deeper and taking a few minutes to get squared away.

Back