• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Devv said:
I'm just afraid the little guys will get hurt if it does hit 20°.

So far it looks like the other nons out there hung in OK..

We're up to 44° now, gonna start bringing stuff out, the ladies need to stretch!

Gorgeous soil, man!! Just wow!

I think the onions will be okay. You mean take tomatoes or some of your "pepper dependents" out? :party:

20s could stunt them, but you definitely want them to get a good grow on before the heat hits you. 

Your dirt looks nice too.

No pizza thing for me today.  Winter advisory out with only necessary travel suggested.

annie57 said:

Gorgeous soil, man!! Just wow!

I think the onions will be okay. You mean take tomatoes or some of your "pepper dependents" out? :party:
Thanks Annie!

The soil is ready once killing the the rye and clover is done. I'm happy the way it turned out, all the mulch and compost seems to have broken down too.

When it hit 45° the maties went out. I warmed some rain water and mixed a 50% feeding of seaweed extract and give them a 20 minute soak in a pan with 3"s of the mix.

The dependents came out when it hit 50°, and the wind is giving them a workout! They're still being watered with seaweed extract shots.

HillBilly Jeff said:
20s could stunt them, but you definitely want them to get a good grow on before the heat hits you. 

Your dirt looks nice too.

No pizza thing for me today.  Winter advisory out with only necessary travel suggested.
Thanks Jeff!

A ton of work went into the dirt...literally. I added 16yds. of heavy soil, 9yds of compost and 9yds of mulch. Plus the rye and clover. That used to be sand, been adding to it every season. Added roughly 25 yds of compost and composted horse manure the 2 previous seasons.

My feelings were if they were in there and started growing they would be fine, but to plant and get hit with that...I dunno, so we're waiting...a few days won't hurt. And I intend to push them as hard as I can..

Sorry about the weather. I remember those days well!

Onions can be tough once established, but I'd be leery of setting out transplants with some freezy-breezy weather coming, although a row cover might help there.
Sets, shouldn't be a problem. with no hard freeze coming.

With a row cover and a decent forecast I may transplant onions as early as 3 weeks prior to our last avg frost -about equinox

34° and sun sounds like gardening weather to me. :)

Currently, we've got 25°. 20-30 mph winds, a little snow, and a the river's full of ice,  just like January intended.

JJJessee said:
Onions can be tough once established, but I'd be leery of setting out transplants with some freezy-breezy weather coming, although a row cover might help there.
Sets, shouldn't be a problem. with no hard freeze coming.

With a row cover and a decent forecast I may transplant onions as early as 3 weeks prior to our last avg frost -about equinox

34° and sun sounds like gardening weather to me. :)

Currently, we've got 25°. 20-30 mph winds, a little snow, and a the river's full of ice,  just like January intended.
I grew up on L.I. and also lived in Manasass Va. for 18-19 months. 8 hours south of N.Y. and way colder. Snow was on the ground for months; I think mainly because it's so far inland and the ocean buffers the temps in L.I. First week I was there was late Dec. Came out with wet hair..and it froze. -13° was a brutal change from Texas weather.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Mid April for me I believe.  Still get frost in May.
Here we push for March 1st, the 15th is closer to norm. The way things are going this year, who knows?
OK Adam,

Here's your fix :D

Jigsaw
304.JPG

Choc Hab, on the left you can see the ladies doing seaweed extract shots.
305.JPG

Brainstrain
306.JPG

Cumari do Para
307.JPG

Bhut Y7
308.JPG

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp
309.JPG

MoA
310.JPG

Trinidad Choc Bonnet
311.JPG

TS Moruga Bhut
312.JPG

JA Hab
313.JPG

Man, I would love some 34 degree weather to garden in, but I got my workout this morning shoveling 4" of snow and chopping a bunch of ice under the snow. Good fun. 

All the plants look great. They look big enough but I don't hear you talking about flowers or peppers? Does rotating them out of the light keep them from doing anything more than vegging?

Outa likes again :tear:
JJJessee said:
Those are all beauties, Scott.

Would be difficult for me to send them out into the field to work, sniffsniff
Thanks JJJ!

AT some point they have to face the cruel world ;)

Jeff H said:
Man, I would love some 34 degree weather to garden in, but I got my workout this morning shoveling 4" of snow and chopping a bunch of ice under the snow. Good fun. 

All the plants look great. They look big enough but I don't hear you talking about flowers or peppers? Does rotating them out of the light keep them from doing anything more than vegging?
Thanks Jeff!

I'm sure 34 is a heat wave with all that cold 'yall been having this year. I did OK once I got the blood going, actually came in and took a layer off.

I don't want them to set any peppers until they're in the dirt. A few have flowered and I cut them off. I'm working on a nice root system. I also cut a few back because they wouldn't fit under the lights anymore. It's obvious now to me I could have waited another month to sow this season..
Here's a Choco Bhut Douglah.
314.JPG

White Bhut, this was trimmed for 2 reasons; it was branching nicely and too tall. These next 2 were trimmed last weekend..

315.JPG

Peach Bhut, trimmed for the same reasons...
316.JPG

Choc Scorp, also trimmed last weekend
317.JPG

MoA
318.JPG

Jay's Red Ghost Scorp
319.JPG

Yellow Fatalii
320.JPG

Spicegeist said:
wow, your plants look amazing.  really robust and healthy.  the crosses are looking fantastic.
Thanks Charles!

I really don't do anything special with them, I try to keep it simple and not over take care of them. They're in plain old MG green bag potting soil. This last time I watered them Sat. from the bottom with seaweed extract, and hit them with a little on top on Sun. Mainly the top watering was because they don't have a real root structure up close to the top of the soil, and in the wind they suffer. The T5 they get put under runs 12-13 hours a day and they get rotated every other day to the top where they get south sun. I have a box fan on low speed blowing on the grow station. They did get a drink today, and most are in wannabe 1 gal pots...

I am so jealous of you southern growers! 23 pages already and it's only January!

The plants are looking wonderful, such a deep green and quite compact. You definitely have some skills. I'm looking forward to following your grow Scott. Best of luck with it.

Spicegeist said:
Sounds like they're getting some TLC.  What size pots do you think they'll end up in?
Charles they hit the dirt in 6 or 7 weeks..so I have to keep them in their present shoes...

Here's where they go..

303.JPG

Right now I'm working on controlling their growth. Started a bit early you know ;)
patrick said:
I am so jealous of you southern growers! 23 pages already and it's only January!

The plants are looking wonderful, such a deep green and quite compact. You definitely have some skills. I'm looking forward to following your grow Scott. Best of luck with it.
Thanks Patrick!

I learned a ton here since I joined last year!

+ 1 Charles.  I don't know that Scott relaxes much but that place is definatly easy on the eyes!  Absolutely beautiful plants Scott!  The space, the nice plants, and your homestead is certainly the envy of many.  I know I love coming here!

More sun tomorrow with some wind.

Have a cold one now!

Mike

Spicegeist said:
Very nice set up, great view too.  Must be very relaxing gardening there.
Thanks Charles I simply love it here. It was the wife's choice 25 years ago she called me at work, "I found this place! And we're gonna buy it!". She had me go look that day at lunch..Well it was under contract, and that fell through, so we got it...for a song. In '89 we got the house 1,200sqft and 20 acres for $63k. It's been a money pit but a labor of love. No restrictions, we can do what we want for the most part. The part I like the best is the quiet, and the neighbors are far enough away that we don't have to interact unless we choose to.

capsidadburn said:
+ 1 Charles.  I don't know that Scott relaxes much but that place is definatly easy on the eyes!  Absolutely beautiful plants Scott!  The space, the nice plants, and your homestead is certainly the envy of many.  I know I love coming here!

More sun tomorrow with some wind.

Have a cold one now!

Mike
Thanks and LOL Mike!

I like to keep moving, the last 2 days stuck inside with the now named "polar plunge" (they kill me) put a hurt on me. I did get to do some work today and loosen up. Now closer to 60 than 50, I have to stay moving so it seems...
I'm fortunate, the plants are on auto pilot. I think it was Charles who said something along the lines of "they do better when I just leave them alone". I try to do the same and keep a watchful eye. I had one today that had shiny specks on a leaf...Aphids! Well it sits alone from the crowd. I treated it..but its alone. And now I have to really watch. No sign of mites yet thank goodness.

Yeah Monday isn't going to be a good day...until Thursday....haul 'em back in again ;)

Cold one is working!

'Yall have a good one!

So I have a question about worms, I have none, zero, nada.

Growing up on L.I. they were everywhere. It would rain and they were on the sidewalk. Dig in the dirt and they were in every shovel full.

I did some reading, they say build it and they will come. I've put tons of compost,manure and mulch in there over the years...still don't see any.

Any ideas?

Back