• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Jeff H said:
Damn Scott. I took a couple days off since it is hard for me to keep up over the weekend and I missed a lot . Tons happening at the Devv ranch. 

In the dirt already. Awesome. We have about a foot of snow on the ground now.  :rolleyes:

Otis healing nicely.  :party:

Practicing on the outdoor range, just keeping yourself in practice in case it is needed, right?.  :shh:  I really need to get out and do that. I don't think I have fired a shot since November. Probably the longest I've ever gone, but the range is outdoors and under the same foot of snow. 
Thanks Jeff!

I'm excited about the hoop house experiment! I have the sides open right now. Everything looks OK, and the tomatoes REALLY perked up!

I never did get to shoot, just not enough hours in the day with trying to get the electric and water lines run 180' feet or so. I shoveled for an hour today, the ground is so hard I had to wet it to dig.

Sorry about the snow!

JJJessee said:
Whoooaa! MoA Pod City. 
Yeah , my MoAs have distinctly more rounded heart shape leaves than any chinense I've seen. But mine are barley and inch tall too so...

That's a nice parade of young ladies, Scott.
Here's to dirt weather  :cheers:
Thanks JJJ!

I just hope the weather holds and follows a normal track! We're good until Sunday on one sites 7 day and Wed. on a 10 day @ weather.com. We'll see. The ladies have been outside since Thursday. Found one of those big huge brown grasshoppers eating on the plants, stomped it!

All the MoA's except that one have that rounded leaf look. Hoping it's true and that I didn't cross something during sowing, I do have 6 others. I gifted one to a guy that turned me on to some Moruga and Thai seeds last season.

maximumcapsicum said:
Scott those look 50% bigger than they did last round. You're definitely doing things right. Keep on growin!
Thanks Adam!

They are so ready for the dirt!

The only thing I don't like is now that they're outside I'm getting some leaf chewing, sunburn, and wind damage. It's all part of the hardening process, but they don't look as pretty as when they were inside.

One of the guys that bought plants from me is really worried about the bit of shock they go through when they're hardened off. I'm like stick with the program, they'll be fine. I did have to water again today, one was sagging and most pots were "light". So the transpiration thang is really happening when they get the sun and wind. In the long run they will be more ready for the dirt.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Love the volunteers...don't forget to save them as we can't cull  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:
Jeff,

I will try, but dang like 25 there!

Jeff H said:

Did you hear this Adam? 
LOL!

Yesterday I separated about 25 seedlings, one group had 6 that came out of a jiffy pellet. I planted 3 and 3 weeks later 3 more in the same pellet. Had to smile they all germed!

Nick08* said:
Looking good! Sure wishing I could move some plants outside right now...
Thanks Nick!

Normally March 1st is tom's, corn, beans and such. Peppers normally March 15th, as they just sit there looking hurt. This experiment, I'm hoping pays off. Just got to get the well work done by the weekend so I can make the second hoop house.

PaulG said:
Great looking plants, Scott - what size pots are they in?
Thanks Paul!

The black ones are wannabe 1 gal, the colored ones are 6x6". Nothing was even close to root bound when I planted the 12 plants in the hoop house. And that makes me happy! They still have room to row in their existing shoes.

jedisushi06 said:
Aphids! BOOOOO!
I heard that!

I think I got the majority of them early. I have one MoA that was really covered isolated. It has a real dense leaf system and I'm going to open it up some to make sure I can get them all.

Pulpiteer said:
I love seeing the plants in the dirt. We have a couple of feet of snow on the ground here, and it's snowing again right now... so seeing your plants in the ground gave me a momentary good feeling.
Also, I grew the Bahamian Goat pepper last year for the fist time and loved it. My wife ever really enjoyed the flavor and she is wary about the hot stuff. It's a winner.
Good to hear the Bahamian Goat is a good one Andy!

This year is feel them out year. I normally wouldn't grow so many but I received so many seeds I figured what the heck!

The Jeffs just don't understand. Culling is how we got so many amazing pepper types to begin with! Just ask the Natufians! Or rather, the Neolithic inhabitants of the Andes as it were.

Fun fact, data is suggesting that the initial impetus for domesticating barley was actually the production of fermented beverages for feasts. NOT BREAD. 

maximumcapsicum said:
The Jeffs just don't understand. Culling is how we got so many amazing pepper types to begin with! Just ask the Natufians! Or rather, the Neolithic inhabitants of the Andes as it were.

Fun fact, data is suggesting that the initial impetus for domesticating barley was actually the production of fermented beverages for feasts. NOT BREAD. 
OK Adam, You just blew my brain up!

But I like the Barley history!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Shoot, I have 25 Jaques and I had trouble getting them to germ lol
Crazy isn't it?

We wait 2 or 3 weeks and add more seeds, then they all come up at the same time. S OK, I can separate them ;)

maximumcapsicum said:

You sir defiantly need to go back to school. Slaughtering the young and defenseless isn't the way to promote diversity. Diversity is created from spawn of different types of peppers. What we really need for diversity is a brothel for peppers.  :dance:  On second thought, nevermind, we have enough crosses already. 

After all of this ribbing Adam ,I'm really going to hear it if I end up culling anything. Oh well, time to plan out pepper bed #3 so none of the young have to die. 

Jeff H said:

You sir defiantly need to go back to school. Slaughtering the young and defenseless isn't the way to promote diversity. Diversity is created from spawn of different types of peppers. What we really need for diversity is a brothel for peppers.  :dance:  On second thought, nevermind, we have enough crosses already. 

After all of this ribbing Adam ,I'm really going to hear it if I end up culling anything. Oh well, time to plan out pepper bed #3 so none of the young have to die. 

I, sir, have been in school far too long. Believe me. Allowing every sprout to live and reproduce actually undercuts diversity due to genetic flow. Traits that aren't pressured in any way spread all willy nilly, and everyone pick's 'em up. Though I guess you could isolate them. If you want. I mean, if you were actually breeding peppers or something.

Had to cull another sprout today. Its sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Devv said:
376.jpg

Mystery, I cut this lady back. It sure is a vigorous grower. Wonder what it is?
375.jpg

Jay's Red Ghost Scorp
377.jpg

Douglah x Butch T
378.jpg

Tabago Treasure. The sun is breaking through the cloud cover.
379.jpg

MoA, ready to rock! I'm going to let this one alone and see what it does. This plant doesn't have the rounded leaves like the others, hope it's true.
380.jpg

381.jpg

BOC
382.jpg

Sweet Hungarian Paprika
383.jpg

Winds have been blowing.
384.jpg

wooowwwww lots of flowers and buds......soon pods.... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Jeff H said:

maximumcapsicum said:

I, sir, have been in school far too long. Believe me. Allowing every sprout to live and reproduce actually undercuts diversity due to genetic flow. Traits that aren't pressured in any way spread all willy nilly, and everyone pick's 'em up. Though I guess you could isolate them. If you want. I mean, if you were actually breeding peppers or something.

Had to cull another sprout today. Its sacrifice will not be forgotten.
Oh, this is over my head. I just stick seeds in the dirt ;)

Pinoy83 said:

wooowwwww lots of flowers and buds......soon pods.... :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thanks Jericson!

We have been having fantastic weather since Thursday morning and the 10 day forecast is a good one!

Here's a pic of the older ladies enjoying the sun. I removed the 30% sunshade, it's been up 6 days. A few have some sunburn. And of course some wind damage and bug bites. They better get used to it :D

388.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Looking good Scott!  I've noticed some bug damage (holes, chewed sections of leaves) as well.  I also had one of my BOC plants removed from the pot and a nice clean (investigative) 4 inch deep hole dug in the pot.  Some nocturnal creature, either skunk, racoon, or possum took it upon them self to do some repotting.  The plant was out of the container probably around 6 hours before I found it.  I stuck it back in the pot, as the root ball was well intact, (concerned pest care) and it has taken off again.  I see squirrels digging in my pots from last season all the time leaving their shallow holes in search for buried treasue.

Take care!

Mike

capsidadburn said:
Looking good Scott!  I've noticed some bug damage (holes, chewed sections of leaves) as well.  I also had one of my BOC plants removed from the pot and a nice clean (investigative) 4 inch deep hole dug in the pot.  Some nocturnal creature, either skunk, racoon, or possum took it upon them self to do some repotting.  The plant was out of the container probably around 6 hours before I found it.  I stuck it back in the pot, as the root ball was well intact, (concerned pest care) and it has taken off again.  I see squirrels digging in my pots from last season all the time leaving their shallow holes in search for buried treasue.

Take care!

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Yep once outside they are fair game, hope the rabbit's don't get in the garden. I've had them do major damage to the youngin's.

Glad you caught the baby early. Peppers are really resilient aren't they? You mention skunks, we've had one spray Otis twice in the last few days. Normally he gets them :D

Then of course I have to do something with what's left, while striving to do it from up wind ;)

Are you enjoying this weather or what?

OCD Chilehead said:
Great Glog. AMAZING PICS. I like the hoop house deal. I have been looking at one of those diy benders. Looks great.
Thanks OCD!

The hoop house will work really well in your climate, and are cheap to build. Don't know if you saw the temps I've been posting. I watched it for 2 weeks before planting to learn it's behavior. So far I've had the sides open as we're having mid March weather. Hope it holds!

I am enjoying it Scott, but between working, shuttleing the kids around Austin with one shared vehicle, trying to car shop, keeping up plant care, I'm a little tired.  My wife has been getting up @ 5:30 to keep the vehicle which we trade at lunch or so and I pick her up at 11:00 pm. 

We think we want a Subaru.  I like both the Forrester and the Outback.  I was leaning toward the Outback for the roomier storage of stuff we haul and a little more tow capacity if I rent a u-haul wagon for (dirt from the landscape place for this season which is approaching fast!)   She likes the Forrester for the visability.  They are similar price and fuel eco.  I would love a little pick-up but that will have to wait I guess.

My plants handled the lower 40's (early morning) a couple times, but seem to be a little shocked at the abrubt warm up.  About an hour and half recovery.  They look great at 6 or 7 am but are withered around 8 to 9am.  Then back to normal.  I think Friday morning will be low 40's again.  Debating...  They seem to be growing well though.  I'm seeing sporatic difficency that I will try a cal-mag foliar tomorrow.

Some mornings when I leave for work I see skunk waddling around my front yard.  Smell them much more frequently!

Later

Mike

From that pic the Plants are looking very happy!

capsidadburn said:
I am enjoying it Scott, but between working, shuttleing the kids around Austin with one shared vehicle, trying to car shop, keeping up plant care, I'm a little tired.  My wife has been getting up @ 5:30 to keep the vehicle which we trade at lunch or so and I pick her up at 11:00 pm. 

We think we want a Subaru.  I like both the Forrester and the Outback.  I was leaning toward the Outback for the roomier storage of stuff we haul and a little more tow capacity if I rent a u-haul wagon for (dirt from the landscape place for this season which is approaching fast!)   She likes the Forrester for the visability.  They are similar price and fuel eco.  I would love a little pick-up but that will have to wait I guess.

My plants handled the lower 40's (early morning) a couple times, but seem to be a little shocked at the abrubt warm up.  About an hour and half recovery.  They look great at 6 or 7 am but are withered around 8 to 9am.  Then back to normal.  I think Friday morning will be low 40's again.  Debating...  They seem to be growing well though.  I'm seeing sporatic difficency that I will try a cal-mag foliar tomorrow.

Some mornings when I leave for work I see skunk waddling around my front yard.  Smell them much more frequently!

Later

Mike

+1 on a Suby! Great cars. I too have been back and forth between the Outback and Forester. Are you going to be buying new? If so... you might want to wait a couple months, the all new redesigned 2015 is supposed to be announced in April @ the New York show. Pretty stoked to see where they go with the new one...

We bought a forester off a friend of the family about two years ago. Awesome vehicle. I had no idea how much I would love it. On the right path Mike!

So jealous Scott! It's warmer here but still some colder nights in the forecast ahead. :(

It always takes the plants a couple of weeks to get used to being outside all the time, but I'm sure they'll be fine for you. Things are warming up enough out your way that you oughtta keep an eye out for Ladybugs on your windowsills that you can relocate to your low row cover... ;)

I got the Deer tail you sent in the mail Scott... thanks so much! Texas Deer must have much shorter fur than their northern cousins because the hair on that Doe's tail was only about 3 inches long. Up here it would be approaching 6 inches during winter. It's all good though...  you did a beautiful job curing it, and I use a lot of 3-inch Deer tail hair for making freshwater streamers. A Black-Nosed Dace pattern is a classic here.
BNDace_zpsf049a915.jpg

Hoot, the sunshade is removed and the plants are doing good. Game on in TX!.

Are you putting them all in hoop houses or did you just build the one for testing?

Scott the c.chinense look very healthy with the thick main stems, those are going to be monsters. You'll probably have MoA's before anyone else. That plants going to be a factory producing mama !

Back