• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

stc3248 said:
Those wide shots of the garden always get me a little homesick...

I had the reapers and the "funky" or "Naga" reapers also last year. They sure were good....saved some seeds on this end too. Hope those OW plants do you as proud as they should. They look ready for takeoff!!! Your season is sure to be epic with the starts you have and those OWs...you're sure to produce a nice first round before the heat sets in.
I got some seeds here if here need them shane.

jedisushi06 said:
yeah those look reapers both look right.  Damn the ones on top are some much better looking though!  Looks like some pleasurable pain right there!  
I ate pieces, and not large ones, it's one hot pepper! Makes a killer puree too.

stc3248 said:
Those wide shots of the garden always get me a little homesick...

I had the reapers and the "funky" or "Naga" reapers also last year. They sure were good....saved some seeds on this end too. Hope those OW plants do you as proud as they should. They look ready for takeoff!!! Your season is sure to be epic with the starts you have and those OWs...you're sure to produce a nice first round before the heat sets in.
Well hopefully when you retire you can move back to God's Country, your plans at your parents place sound interesting. I planted a JA Hab yesterday, never cut this one back, kind of ratty looking right now, but loaded with flowers!

Initially I thought I started too early, but I think I hit it just right. We should definitely have pods before the heat kicks in.

Thanks for stopping by!
The old timers 'round here use Mesquite's as a frost guage, they say they're too smart to get caught.

They're putting leaves on, this makes me more secure ;)
517.JPG

I put LB's Jal back in the dirt, now that's a trunk!
518.JPG

Not much is doing, plants are still just sitting. I hit them with a small dose of 50%-50% Seaweed extract and Hasta Gro this morning and then went on pod patrol and I found a few new ones!

Not the best pic, but this is a MoA
519.JPG

Barrackpore set one too! A bit blurry, sowwy.
520.JPG

521.JPG

Jigsaw, this pod doesn't look as happy as the rest.
522.JPG

Tam Jal getting busy!
523.JPG

Spreadsheet shows this as an Aji Lemon, I say nah.
524.JPG

Aji Cristal busy as well! OK, the pods are yellow day one, how to tell when ready to pick?
525.JPG

Jimmy Nardello ready to roll!
526.JPG

That's 10, thanks for stopping by!

Some non's

Corn is up, I planted 1/3 of what I usually do
527.JPG

Onions are doing well
528.JPG

This is how the garden soil dirt started out before amendments. Just sand..
529.JPG

Finally found a pot for the Thai, now what?
530.JPG

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice wood, nice poddage, and nice blossom shot!!!
Thanks Jeff!

I'm thinking this season is going to go as planned!

Devv said:
Corn is up
Hey, that's interesting!
My dad has 2 fields and pay a farmer that grows corn... He barely pay taxes and job (and sometimes we aren't even on par) with selling and subsidy. :P
Of course onions too since i'd eat them with more than half of my recipes....

Essegi said:
Hey, that's interesting!
My dad has 2 fields and pay a farmer that grows corn... He barely pay taxes and job (and sometimes we aren't even on par) with selling and subsidy. :P
Of course onions too since i'd eat them with more than half of my recipes....
They grow quite a bit of corn around here, it's getting them premium prices these day with biofuel being big here. My opinion, why spend 90 cents to make a dollar? The fuel is subpar IMHO, it's really bad for engines. I spent 17 years as fuel and emissions tech...so I'm rambling here...

Onions, just have to grow them, along with garlic, shallots, and scallions.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nothing wrong with sand....keep water and nutes to it and sand is some good stuff to grow in.  I'd hate to have clay!!!
It will grow just fine, but come summer with 95 to 100° temps starting at 11AM and running until almost dark it's just too much to water here. We have those temps from mid May until mid Sept.

I potted one of the Manzano's in a 20 gal pot. It's going to live under a Live Oak. It's coming back from wind damage, so not a pretty gal. But, she's on her second set of forks and I see buds!

533.JPG

532.JPG

stickman said:
:woohoo: Not too shabby bro'... buds on the Manzanos is way cool! Keep up the good work!
Thanks Rick!

I felt really bad when I saw how damaged the three Manzano's got. I guess life under lights is too easy for them ;)  The new growth is looking OK, so just an appearance thang for now.

maximumcapsicum said:
Great operation Scott! Nice to see a small square pot =D.

You seemed to have timed things out perfectly. Production is gonna be killer. Looks like you definitely will beat the heat!
Thanks Adam!

LB and I looked everywhere for a pot like that locally and in San Antonio, we did find one but they wanted $45.00. LB makes a list for Amazon, and purchases when she can get free shipping and checked to see if they had any. That one was $9.99 and when we received it we could see it was used..LOL. Anyways the price was right ;)  Now to figure out how to train the plant.

I'm hoping they kick in this week and start to grow again, although I have a good 7 weeks before it starts to really heat up.

And because I'm a slacker with foodies....

LB made me a killer Omelette with sausage, bacon, ham, chopped Jal, swiss and velveeta cheese. I topped it with Jericson's Yellow powder.
534.JPG

Hi Scott,

I have only one issue with reading you glog: I have simply have not enough likes to give :-)
Everything is looking good, can't wait to see it when the pods are coming! :-)

Balázs

I fell way too far behind on this glog.  You've got a lot going on there!  I am enjoying your set up and how you're using the land you have.  I'm jealous that you have plants in the soil.

Wow Scott, everything is looking good. Too bad the Monzano got beat up, but it looks like it will be fine. Gonna love that 20 gal pot under the tree.

Omelet looks good too.

Vegas_Chili said:
Lol!!! I need to get on my computer to read your glog!! :rofl:

-Walt

LOL. I was breezing through a few glogs from my phone at home this morning while I was sipping some coffee. Couldn't wait to get into the office to use the computer. Much easier.

Devv said:

Aji Cristal busy as well! OK, the pods are yellow day one, how to tell when ready to pick?
525.JPG

Looking good.  The pods will get to be three or four inches long, and they'll turn red... you'll know...

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Scott,

I have only one issue with reading you glog: I have simply have not enough likes to give :-)
Everything is looking good, can't wait to see it when the pods are coming! :-)

Balázs
Thanks Balázs!

I'm hoping they kick in and start to grow this week. They have been in that "first week" holding pattern. One thing I have to get used to is the watering now that I added all that heavy topsoil. The first ditch flood I feel resulted in some yellowing, so for now I'm waiting on them to show me they're thirsty, then I'll spot water until they get larger. Last year in the much sandier soil I flooded day one and they took off.

Pulpiteer said:
I fell way too far behind on this glog.  You've got a lot going on there!  I am enjoying your set up and how you're using the land you have.  I'm jealous that you have plants in the soil.
Hi Andy,

This is a busy time, but by next weekend I should have most everything planted. Hopefully the winds will cease soon. I may have them in dirt, but the heats not too far off, hoping for pod set before the brakes come on. My goal is to not run them until November like last season unless a twice a week watering will suffice. Last year I had to water every day.

Vegas_Chili said:
Lol!!! I need to get on my computer to read your glog!! :rofl:

-Walt
Hi Walt!

Hope all is well your way!

Jeff H said:
Wow Scott, everything is looking good. Too bad the Monzano got beat up, but it looks like it will be fine. Gonna love that 20 gal pot under the tree.

Omelet looks good too.

LOL. I was breezing through a few glogs from my phone at home this morning while I was sipping some coffee. Couldn't wait to get into the office to use the computer. Much easier.
Thanks Jeff!

The new growth looks OK, so it will be fine. We had more wind yesterday and I covered it with a 5 gal bucket until they slowed down. More wind forecast later this week. My goal is to take down the North side wind break so I can plant the last row this weekend. Hopefully moving it to the far North of the garden will be enough. I'm really temped to put an 8' fence up to stop the wind, been putting it off because it will obstruct our view.

Spicegeist said:

Looking good.  The pods will get to be three or four inches long, and they'll turn red... you'll know...
Thanks Charles, it struck me as very different that they stuck their heads out as a yellow pod. Hopefully it's a good pod!

Back