• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

OCD Chilehead said:
Happy Easter . Enjoy the day.

MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks for the info! Hope you have a Happy Easter!

meatfreak said:
Happy Easter, Scott! Everything looks amazing, sorry to hear about the hard winds. I've been having the same problem over here which caused delay in hardening of my plants ;)
Thanks for the wishes,

It's a nice quiet day here ;)

Usually a mad house with the 4 G-Kids.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Them ribs are just off the chart.  I have a couple slabs in the freezer from the pig I had butchered....now I need to not screw em up.
Happy Easter Jeff,

I cook the ribs for 6 hours @ 225°

The rub:

Fajita Seasoning
Lemon Pepper
Seasoning Salt
Black Pepper
Habanero Powder
Brown Sugar

We paint the ribs with Mustard then apply the rub, wrap in foil and cook 3 hours. Then remove the foil, paint with Mustard and apply rub again. Cook 3 more hours.

We mix our favorite BBQ sauce with honey, and a hot sauce in the Habanero heat range, equal parts of each. Paint it on 10-15 minutes before taking ribs inside.

The Mustard, you simply can't taste it, and it holds the rub nicely.

We got the recipe off the web from a first prize winner in a rib cook off.

Devv said:

I cook the ribs for 6 hours @ 225°

The rub:

Fajita Seasoning
Lemon Pepper
Seasoning Salt
Black Pepper
Habanero Powder
Brown Sugar

We paint the ribs with Mustard then apply the rub, wrap in foil and cook 3 hours. Then remove the foil, paint with Mustard and apply rub again. Cook 3 more hours.

We mix our favorite BBQ sauce with honey, and a hot sauce in the Habanero heat range, equal parts of each. Paint it on 10-15 minutes before taking ribs inside.

The Mustard, you simply can't taste it, and it holds the rub nicely.

We got the recipe off the web from a first prize winner in a rib cook off.

Sounds delicious. Heck, that beats the heck out of the ham I had for dinner, and the ham was very good.

Happy Easter Scott! Can't wait to try some BBQ! Looks like everyone is happy in the dirt... shouldn't have too much more of that nasty weather... now it'll be time to beat the heat! 

Can't wait till those pepper plants are 5 foot high!!

capsidadburn said:
Looking really great Scott!  Very hungry now!   Your season looks very promising.

My stuff is moving pretty slow.  I've lost a lot of early plants to aphids sadly.  My later plants are doing well and serving as replacements but I will lose out on some varieties I think.  We will see how they respond.

Have a great Easter weekend!

Mike
Thanks Mike!

My apologies for missing this the other day.

I just got in from the garden and things look really promising for the first time. I been giving them just small sips of water with nutes, but with 90° coming Wednesday I gave them a ditch flood today.

Sorry to read about losing plants, I simply hate Aphids!

Hope your Easter was enjoyable!
Jeff H said:

Sounds delicious. Heck, that beats the heck out of the ham I had for dinner, and the ham was very good.
Nothing wrong with ham, we cooked one of those too. My preference is to use it for sammi's ;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Happy Easter Scott! Can't wait to try some BBQ! Looks like everyone is happy in the dirt... shouldn't have too much more of that nasty weather... now it'll be time to beat the heat! 

Can't wait till those pepper plants are 5 foot high!!
Thanks Adam!

Hope yours was fantastic!

I think we're done with the cold, but nasty I dunno. We have a chance of some bad storms tonight, so far we've been lucky. Now til end of May is the crazy storms weather. We'll take it as it's dished out and move on :D

And the heat is already starting, 90° two days this week. Hope that's just a taste...I don't want 90's until late May..

Looks like you're gonna have some pods out of those annuums before you know it. I was thinking of doing an initial green pull on the jal's then let their second pulls ripen. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Looks like you're gonna have some pods out of those annuums before you know it. I was thinking of doing an initial green pull on the jal's then let their second pulls ripen. 
Soon I hope, I rushed those pics, just snapped a few of the better looking ones. We always raid the Jal's when they're green and still have plenty to ripen. Hot today, garden looked OK, the last raised bed I planted had some sagging plants even after watering last night. Gotta hit them again, but cooling down from chasing cows, a bull busted in and tried to herd one over to his place. She was on the road when I came home. Lucky she's trained and followed me home. She's kinda beat up from escaping the bull. But I do hope he planted a seed :D

OCD Chilehead said:
I new the garden looked bigger. Glad to see the plants are starting to shoot for the sun.
I'm really pleased they're growing again, but concerned about the heat, not too hot yet but 90's need to hold off a few more weeks.

romy6 said:
Things are looking up in Tejas  :dance:
Thanks Jamie,

We're finally are in production mode here, hope the supers set soon!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking good.  Going to be monsters in no time!!!
Thanks Jeff!

They're finally doing something, a few pods here and there too!

jedisushi06 said:
I could almost lick the screen on the rib picture!  
Can't beat BBQ ribs!

TrentL said:
Is there a reason you're using tomato cages on the peppers? (curious)

meatfreak said:
I guess for branch support, especially sweet peppers tend to get heavy branches.

Stefan hit it on the head, they break and fall over. And I have the cages, better than staking I feel. Just a third of the normal Tomato grow this season.

Took a few full sun pics in the 88° heat, not used to this heat yet.

The ladies look good after two days in the heat, they were last watered Monday. I gave them a small dose of 50% nutes and I'll turn the wobblers on for a while to hold them over until tomorrow. Tomorrow they get a good flood and I'll see if I can go 3 days, that's my summer goal. I intend to enlarge the flood area into a circle around each plant so more root growth will be promoted. Almost all the plants have lost the large indoor leaves and put on the smaller summer leaves.

White Bhut
672.JPG

Also used cages on the Chinense that were kind of tall and floppy at plant out.

Peach Bhut
673.JPG

Jigsaw
674.JPG

It's first pod
675.JPG

TSMB
676.JPG

Hoping this is a Giant Yellow 7
677.JPG

Close up of the lone pod
678.JPG

Yellow Brain
679.JPG

Yellow Fatalii
680.JPG

The only OW I didn't cut back, JA Hab.
681.JPG

That's 10, I have a few more.

Spicegeist said:
I like that pod, congrats! :dance:
Thanks Charles!

Full sun Manzano, seems to be thriving. Some buds there too!
683.JPG

Bahamian Goat Pepper
684.JPG

Green Hornet, kind of blurry. One thing about pics in full sun, I can't see the image in the sun. Too hot go back out and get sweaty again too ;)
685.JPG

OW Reaper, looking like it wants a drink, it got one..
686.JPG

That's it for now.

Thanks for reading!

Just too good, Scott!  Your plants are huge, my friend.  Looks like the season is well
under way in your neck o' the woods.  Good luck going into the summer!

WhooHoo!!! Pods!!

Glad to see you got the ladies in the ground ;). How do you feel about getting ripe pods before the heat comes in? I still feel that the best time is and always be in fall season. I only have about 3-4 plants with pods but climate is too nuts... not that stable weather like in the fall season.

-Walt

Wow, what an awesome update Scott. THe plants are getting huge and looking really good.

I hope the weather stays cool enough for your monzano to set some pods. Do you have any of them in partial shade?

Back