• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Thanks Jeff!

I brought the brisket in, it's a small 9lb one. Not quite done, but dang good! Going back out for an hour. I didn't want to overcook it. I usually cook larger ones, so we tested a little early.

660.JPG

Crimson Clover
652.JPG

Two of the Chuncho's hit dirt today...
653.JPG

654.JPG

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks awesome. Food and plants. Garden looks like it's gotten bigger in the past week. I like the multitasking. That's the only way I get things done.

Thanks Chuck!

Been a busy and tasty day...can't wait to eat!

Geez Scott, you really know how to hurt a guy with pics of pit BBQ!  :drooling:  Too busy this weekend between working in the garden getting it ready to plant and driving out to my Mom's again tomorrow for Easter, but next weekend I'll set up the barrel smoker and make kebabs... :D

The OB report is looking really good... especially when contrasting with last year's pics. I think the round mystery pepper looks like a Brown Egg... didn't you say you started some seeds for them you got from Jason?

stickman said:
Geez Scott, you really know how to hurt a guy with pics of pit BBQ!  :drooling:  Too busy this weekend between working in the garden getting it ready to plant and driving out to my Mom's again tomorrow for Easter, but next weekend I'll set up the barrel smoker and make kebabs... :D

The OB report is looking really good... especially when contrasting with last year's pics. I think the round mystery pepper looks like a Brown Egg... didn't you say you started some seeds for them you got from Jason?
I do have a few Brown Eggs that I planted, at this point I guess I'll let peep's help me ID. How did this happen? That's what blow's my mind.

The BBQ thing got started as Beercan Chicken and grew, the pit has the room so we just loaded it up. I see fantastic sammi's for lunches at work coming up :party:
Got to taste the ham, just yum!

661.JPG

Ribs should be ready to go in 1.5 hours, they get topped with a sauce made from 33% of honey, BBQ sauce, Greg's Scotch Bonnet hot suace.

662.JPG

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Scott,

Your garden really looks well, and seeing those plants already in the dirt says there is hope for me as well :P
I might enroll for a BBQ course at your class, Master! I just had my dinner, but your pics just made me hungry again :-)

Balázs
Thanks Balázs!

The key to BBQ is the right wood, as I use a firebox system. And to know when the smoke needs to be cutoff. That's when I wrap in foil. I like to cook somethings fast, and some slow. It depends what I need to cook.

Out of everything I cooked today all came out well. LB seasoned the ribs with Hab powder and then the mix above. They were kind of hot, but she liked them! She can't complain as she made the mixes...

Just before we took them off..

663.JPG

Sorry no plate pics, have I not shown enough?...LOL

Dinner ran late as I like to cook the ribs 6 hours, and with al the rest the schedule ran late.
OCD Chilehead said:
Sounds good. Hiking in Moab for the weekend. I'll be famished by Monday.LOL
Hah! better hurry!

Everything's looking outstanding Scott! Pods everywhere, and the bbq looks killer. Any tips for the chicken and brisket? I've done ribs ok on the pit, but chicken has been a failure each time and too scared to try a brisket at the prices they're asking for it around here. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Everything's looking outstanding Scott! Pods everywhere, and the bbq looks killer. Any tips for the chicken and brisket? I've done ribs ok on the pit, but chicken has been a failure each time and too scared to try a brisket at the prices they're asking for it around here. 
Hi Chris,

I especially like beercan chicken because it comes out so tender. The wife bought the little rack that stabilzes the cans. The can is filled half way with beer place the chicken on it and cook @ 325 for around 2 hours. When a leg pulls off the dody with little resistance it's done.

The wife uses a rub made from Lemon pepper, garlic powder, fajita seasoning, black pepper, and Habenero powder.

Brisket is cooked uncovered for 3 hours @ 325, then wrapped in foil and the heat is slowed down to 225 for another 5 hours. That's when I pull it and make sure it's tender. It's tough if cooked not cooked enough, and if cooked to long it will fall apart. My pit has a firebox and I cook with Mesquite wood so if it's not wrapped it gets too smokey flavored. I throw 2 small pieces of Live Oak on the fire while it's unwrapped to add more flavor.

Fat side down while unwrapped, fat side up while wrapped.

Prior to cooking LB makes a rub out of fajita seasoning, Uncle Chris's steak seasoning and black pepper.

JJJessee said:
The garden is in order.
The food is in order.
Time to relax with a cold one.
Looks fantastic, Scott.
Have a great weekend!
Thanks JJJ,

Gonna relax today!

Happy Easter!

Devv said:
Hi Chris,

I especially like beercan chicken because it comes out so tender. The wife bought the little rack that stabilzes the cans. The can is filled half way with beer place the chicken on it and cook @ 325 for around 2 hours. When a leg pulls off the dody with little resistance it's done.

The wife uses a rub made from Lemon pepper, garlic powder, fajita seasoning, black pepper, and Habenero powder.

Brisket is cooked uncovered for 3 hours @ 325, then wrapped in foil and the heat is slowed down to 225 for another 5 hours. That's when I pull it and make sure it's tender. It's tough if cooked not cooked enough, and if cooked to long it will fall apart. My pit has a firebox and I cook with Mesquite wood so if it's not wrapped it gets too smokey flavored. I throw 2 small pieces of Live Oak on the fire while it's unwrapped to add more flavor.

Fat side down while unwrapped, fat side up while wrapped.

Prior to cooking LB makes a rub out of fajita seasoning, Uncle Chris's steak seasoning and black pepper.

Thanks JJJ,

Gonna relax today!

Happy Easter!
Thanks for the info! Hope you have a Happy Easter!

Back