• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

maximumcapsicum said:
Finished my last round of grading here too Scott. Freedom... TO WRITE. 

Glad you're gonna get some travel in. Always fun to move around. I'm sure your plants will weather the absences in style.

Happy growin'.
Thanks Adam!

Looking forward to the time off but the travel is a burden (except for the Vegas!) Standing in line like cattle to get on a plane and the layovers are tiresome for me. I'd just as soon chill here at the ranch and chill some more!

It's that time of year where things slow down for us. I manage IT for a small school district and have 2 employees, we do everything, without any contract labor, so we're usually swamped. I have June to get ready for next year, but the plans are already in my head and should take a week or so. After 14 years here I know the place, I built it. So it's a walk nowadays.

You write? what do you write? Writing was always my weak spot. Using email and the glogs have helped, maybe 25 years of "r&r carb and overhaul" on workorders contributed to my lack of writing skills. Math (regular math from 40 years ago) was my strong point in school and problem solving as an adult. I have no formal education, but that hasn't slowed me down. I have made 2 careers as a problem solver, and frankly I'm tired of thinking for those who get paid more than I. ;)

Currently I am writing a dissertation to complete my phd, though I also write government reports, research articles and the like. I do archaeology, mostly abroad, but lately I have been working to finish my degree. It's a looooong process, interrupted by coursework, teaching, and life. Getting close though. I don't have teaching obligations for a couple of months now, and have been getting nice half-day uninterrupted sessions in the Spring. Gardening has helped... the incremental work structures my day, and watching the plants progress is kind of a metaphor for my own developing ideas. Right?

The slowdown is nice. On my end it's a speedup, but the good kind.

Math is good. We all need the math skills too. In my analysis I try to weave qualitative and quantitative data together to generate a clear picture of social processes as they unfolded in the past. 

This may be too much other for THP.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Great looking pics.  I cut back a little on tomatoes this year since I have so much put up, but I still have to have fresh maters until frost to eat.

Your garden is in high gear, love the tomato covered table pic....you will soon be like that in peppers!!!

Keep on growing!!!
Thanks Jeff,

I've been blessed with a good year! Corn, Garlic, Onions (have to pull a few yet), Shallots, and  Potatoes are done. Tomatoes, Squash, and cukes have a bout 3 weeks left. I guess the peppers will run until fall ;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Currently I am writing a dissertation to complete my phd, though I also write government reports, research articles and the like. I do archaeology, mostly abroad, but lately I have been working to finish my degree. It's a looooong process, interrupted by coursework, teaching, and life. Getting close though. I don't have teaching obligations for a couple of months now, and have been getting nice half-day uninterrupted sessions in the Spring. Gardening has helped... the incremental work structures my day, and watching the plants progress is kind of a metaphor for my own developing ideas. Right?

The slowdown is nice. On my end it's a speedup, but the good kind.

Math is good. We all need the math skills too. In my analysis I try to weave qualitative and quantitative data together to generate a clear picture of social processes as they unfolded in the past. 

This may be too much other for THP.
Archaeology is sooo interesting! There's some real interesting history around here. A buddy of mine has a flood creek run through his place and a few years back we had a good rain that uncovered some dark soil. Upon investigation he discovered it was from fire, and found 2,400 year old arrow heads after poking around a while. What really blows my mind is the finds in Egypt, I saw a show some years back where a guy who makes his living cutting stone was amazed at the accuracy in the cut stone there. He stated the cuts were so perfect that a straight edge when laid on the cuts wouldn't allow a sheet of paper to fit under it. Lost technology.

Yes gardening brings one's brain back to Earth!

HillBilly Jeff said:

One an one an one is three....... :)
Hah!

Sawyer said:
Looking good here, Scott.  I'm back from getting ready for my traveling, traveling, and recovering from traveling, so hopefully I'll start showing up here on THP more often.  Right now, it's beautiful weather out there, so I gotta go do some peppering.
Thanks John,

Tasted your Funky Reaper the other day, it has a different taste than mine. More Bhut like; the little peppers mine throws out are a bit sweeter. Hope they do well so you can compare them. I will say the plant is producing well!

Welcome back from your travels! And enjoy that garden time ;)

So today was another trip to San Antonio. I think almost everything we own has either crashed, fell apart, died or failed in some way. Can't complain about the JD mower, it's a 2001 model, and just needed belts and a pulley. But a 3 year old Samsung washer? It's now on the back porch.

I did get the garden watered this afternoon, and tomorrow is ferts day along with some picking! This morning I dug up the potatoes, the whites did OK, the reds IMHO had poor production. Taters were few and small, and somehow I managed to damage a few of the larger ones with the pitchfork.

One thing I noticed while watering was I have a BHUT LOAD of peppers hangin'! Yeah baby!

I want to take pics in the morning, got to figure out how to get low with this crazy knee issue. This is new for me, maybe bring a milk crate out there...LOL

capsidadburn said:
Bummer to hear of your troubles Scott!  I just bought a Samsung washer a month back.  Glad to hear about the excess poddage though! :P

Easy on the knee.  Keep a cool one on it!

Mike
I'm sure it was just ours. The Samsung products are really good, we have one of their fridges too. I'm going to have someone look at the washer after I look for obvious issues. But the wife just has to have her washer. Got to keep Mama happy!

Have a great weekend!

maximumcapsicum said:
Tech isn't as lost as you think =).

I can't believe we don't have pictures of the BHUT LOAD. Keep up the good growin Scott!
Hi Adam,

OK, so how did they cut that stone so accurately? Of course you understand my knowledge is way limited in this subject. Now ask me about how to build an old school hotrod....

The next time you take pics of your grow, think how it would be to take them in a ditch when you can't squat down ;)

I'll get some in the morning even if I have to crawl around and lay on my back :shh:

maximumcapsicum said:
Squatting keeps you young, and saved the Australians during WWI. 

Those Bhuts do like to hide their bounty.
I agree, I'm a firm believer in use it or lose it. But sometimes the body says "uh no". I think I figured out what got the knee going, Otis freight trained me last week. IE: Ran into me full speed.He's 53lbs. And my sons dog did exactly the same thing around Christmas, same leg. Thanks happy doggies. So I need to let the swelling go away and behave some ;)

GA Growhead said:
Crawl! I'm guilty of that. A bit of rolling in there too!
I'll be doing that in the morning ;)  I just can't squat at the moment. Crap, this makes me feel old! I can go down on the squats, but getting up....is another story. I can but I know I shouldn't.

I took the mower apart this morning, and did some crawling and rolling...LOL

Devv said:
Hi Adam,

OK, so how did they cut that stone so accurately? Of course you understand my knowledge is way limited in this subject. Now ask me about how to build an old school hotrod....

You asked, so I did some digging. Apparently they had handy rods and tripods they used to plan out their stonework. Looks to have operated on a form a pythagorean theorem, letting them project measurements onto uncut stone. So Step 1 was drawing up a plan. They even had specific words for specific sides of the triangles they used for their measures.

Step 2 involved quarrying the stone. This was truly incredible. The worked in open limestone or sandstone quarries, choosing these over harder stones like granite because they could be easily worked with chisels. They cut 60 cm wide trenches into open beds of stone, tracing out the blocks they would drag into place to build the pyramids. Here is a rough plan of what it looked like:

zuX0ozP.png

Step 3 involved detaching the blocks from the quarry and hoisting them into place. They actually cut nested stone sizes, so that larger stones could be hoisted on to smaller stone pegs. This was, of course, all planned out before the trenches were cut in the quarry. They detached blocks using massive wooden beams and man-sized chisels. Crazy. 

Luckily they had a ton of labor. The laborers themselves were corvée laborers, not slaves or aliens. This is how they paid their taxes to the state. Farmers spent part of the year working on the pyramids. They ate like kings while living in Giza. We've only just begun excavating the city around the pyramids, which has turned up massive, fairly luxurious dormitories for workers and huge kitchens for baking bread and frying up catfish for the workers. They also had dedicated breweries.

To the corvée laborers, it was probably something of a religious experience. Graffiti and inscriptions indicate that they were competitive and excited about their work. Keep in mind, ushering the pharaoh into the afterlife was like a pilgrimage Egyptians, so they were probably pretty jazzed about working on the pyramids.

The most current information on excavations at Giza is here.

Good sources on building in Ancient Egypt and Egyptian social organization:

Building in Egypt
Ancient Egyptian State

/\  Great post max!   If the "like" button would work more than once I'd use it for a dozen.   Are you familiar with Baalbek?  Thoughts?
Scott, google Baalbek (unless max debunks its!)

Super interesting!

I'll comment more tomorrow as it's bed time...I have very different schedule than most ;)  Mainly due to my work. If I get there before they do I can get something done before the phone rings....

maximumcapsicum said:

You asked, so I did some digging. Apparently they had handy rods and tripods they used to plan out their stonework. Looks to have operated on a form a pythagorean theorem, letting them project measurements onto uncut stone. So Step 1 was drawing up a plan. They even had specific words for specific sides of the triangles they used for their measures.

Step 2 involved quarrying the stone. This was truly incredible. The worked in open limestone or sandstone quarries, choosing these over harder stones like granite because they could be easily worked with chisels. They cut 60 cm wide trenches into open beds of stone, tracing out the blocks they would drag into place to build the pyramids. Here is a rough plan of what it looked like:

Step 3 involved detaching the blocks from the quarry and hoisting them into place. They actually cut nested stone sizes, so that larger stones could be hoisted on to smaller stone pegs. This was, of course, all planned out before the trenches were cut in the quarry. They detached blocks using massive wooden beams and man-sized chisels. Crazy. 

Luckily they had a ton of labor. The laborers themselves were corvée laborers, not slaves or aliens. This is how they paid their taxes to the state. Farmers spent part of the year working on the pyramids. They ate like kings while living in Giza. We've only just begun excavating the city around the pyramids, which has turned up massive, fairly luxurious dormitories for workers and huge kitchens for baking bread and frying up catfish for the workers. They also had dedicated breweries.

To the corvée laborers, it was probably something of a religious experience. Graffiti and inscriptions indicate that they were competitive and excited about their work. Keep in mind, ushering the pharaoh into the afterlife was like a pilgrimage Egyptians, so they were probably pretty jazzed about working on the pyramids.

The most current information on excavations at Giza is here.

Good sources on building in Ancient Egypt and Egyptian social organization:

Building in Egypt
Ancient Egyptian State
Very nice Adam!

You certainly picked an interesting line of work that will always keep you looking for answers. Enjoy it!

cone9 said:
/\  Great post max!   If the "like" button would work more than once I'd use it for a dozen.   Are you familiar with Baalbek?  Thoughts?
Scott, google Baalbek (unless max debunks its!)
Very cool Dave!

The Roman's were amazing, so far ahead of their time. The more we dig the more we find their work.

jedisushi06 said:
I'm moving to buy some property and live my life, plus my family and friends are in missouri, and i like the mid west live style.  Plus i can grow better gardens there! Just no more cannabis growing! :(
Here you go buddy, every time i click on your glog this song pops up in my head!  Love this song!

this is more my style to build a garden!

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/10400-Honesty-Ct_Hallsville_MO_65255_M81654-33936?row=19
Sounds like a great plan!

I say do what makes you happy, I've been so fortunate so far taking that route.

OK Adam, Here we go:

Jigsaw
928.JPG

Bonda, or a cross, grown from seeds harvested from pods Annie sent.
929.JPG

Blurry Brain pic.
930.JPG

Bhut Yellow 7
931.JPG

Bhut y7x Bhut Douglah
932.JPG

TS Moruga Bhut, I know I had this mixed up earlier, but finally figured out my spreadsheet mistake.
933.JPG

934.JPG

935.JPG

I forgot to write this one down ;)
936.JPG

Group shot.
937.JPG

Bump please I have around 20 more

Back