• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Damn't Scott!  I cannot keep up with your Glog!  Them Yellow Brainstrains look better then the pods I sent the seeds from.  Def more true to form.  I just can't get over how well your garden is growing,  truly unbelievable.  Sure is pretty man!  

Now I'm looking for that tomato sauce recipe in your Glog but can't find it for some reason.  What page was that on? 

Keep up the amazing work man,  your Glog surely stands out among the sea of Glogs on here!  And tell LB nice pictures!!

The garden is looking fantastic! Plants are nice and healthy. It's evident from all the peppers they're putting out. That yellow brain looks like a real killer. Gonna have another look at that recipe too

Neil

cone9 said:
Fantastic growth, Scott.  Beautiful plants and beautiful pods.  Killer color on the Bondas - they're on my short list for next year.  I really love the color of of the yellow peppers.

Thanks Dave!

This year is certainly better than last, the rain and temps have been a great help.

OCD Chilehead said:
First off thank LB for the pics. That garden is insane. Great pods. Jalapeño plant is a monster. I really like the recipes. I let my Italian sauce sit overnight as well. I'm going to try some of your recipes if you don't mind. Your doing good keeping off the knee. I need to follow that advice. 10 hrs in the yard yesterday + another 8 today + 90 degrees out = complete exhaustion.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for the pics.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

LB did really well taking the pics for a newbie ;)  She's my legs until I can get this under control. She spent over two hours picking this morning. I was on the knee more today than I would have liked to, fingers crossed :shh:

But that type of exhaustion is the kind I like. Nothing more honest and rewarding then some hard work, I feel it keeps one young.

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking great Scott.

The peppers you sent are quickly dwindling. For some strange reason, they keep finding their way into most things that I make. ;) Although the white bhuts are for snacking since they aren't scalding hot.

Thanks Jeff!

Glad you're enjoying the peppers, there's no way I can eat them all!

randyp said:
       Hope ya don't mind Scott,but I'm going to live vicariously thru  your garden until mine start throwing color. :P

Thanks Randy, it won't be long ;)

Jamison said:
Damn't Scott!  I cannot keep up with your Glog!  Them Yellow Brainstrains look better then the pods I sent the seeds from.  Def more true to form.  I just can't get over how well your garden is growing,  truly unbelievable.  Sure is pretty man!  

Now I'm looking for that tomato sauce recipe in your Glog but can't find it for some reason.  What page was that on? 

Keep up the amazing work man,  your Glog surely stands out among the sea of Glogs on here!  And tell LB nice pictures!!

Thanks Jamison!

The recipes are at:

http://www.devtex.net/recipe.html

kgetpeppers said:
I love datils but unfortunately forgot to grow them haha. Had seeds from Judy ready. Oops ;)

Well perhaps I can send some. I'm on vacation next week, hopefully they will be just turning when I get back.

Blister said:
The garden is looking fantastic! Plants are nice and healthy. It's evident from all the peppers they're putting out. That yellow brain looks like a real killer. Gonna have another look at that recipe too

Neil

Thanks Neil!

I'm loving your grow! We have it easy here, it's warm ;)

So LB bailed me out again, she spent over two hours picking. The peppers go into paper bags and are marked by the plants numeric location and color.

So here's her work:

1068.jpg

1069.jpg

1070.jpg

1071.jpg

1072.jpg

1073.jpg

1074.jpg

1075.jpg

About 15% hit the trash due to bugs.

Starting from the top sheet of paper towel and the left:

Devil's Tongue, Brown 7, Onza Rojo, Yellow somethings :D Giant yellow 7 ?  Bhut Yellow 7 cross, Small White Bhut's, Jigsaw's, Bonda's, Yellow Brains, Choc Hab, Both Funky Reaper pheno's, Douglah's, Bhut Yellow 7 Douglahs cross, Bishops Crown.

Bottom sheet:

TS Moruga Bhut cross, Yellow Cardi, Aji mix, Red Caribbean's, Sepia Serpent's, JA Habs, More Y Brain's, Sweet Paprika's, Costeno Amarillo's, Serrano's and Jimmy Nardelo's.

I may have missed something....my head hurts now ;)

GnomeGrown said:
Great looking grow and pods

:cheers:
 Thanks!

Blister said:
Absolutely incredible. Maybe one day I'll move to a warmer place. The problem is that I'm built for the northern climate. Then again it wouldn't be a problem if all I had to do was grow peppers and drink cold beer...
 Thanks,

Hey I came from NY, not as cold as where you are but way colder than here for sure.

I must say, you do REALLY well up there!

Jamison said:
Huge harvest!
:onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

kgetpeppers said:
great harvest, So jealous of your climate :) great looking pods too

Thanks!

My second year, things came out much better with the early start. I planted seeds in late November.

GA Growhead said:
Killer harvest. Did you plant Trinidad perfume. Your yel cardi looks just like them.

Thanks Jason!

I did, and it died. But anything is possible when shuffling over 100 plants around. I don't know how you manage your numbers. How do you keep track of yours?

I went and looked at the pics and compared. I'm sure you're correct. I can say this, the plant is short and bushy.

OCD Chilehead said:
What a beautiful sight. Lots of color and variety. The pics never get old. That's quite a gal you got there. You must be going crazy sitting all day.

Thanks Chuck!

LB is a keeper, we've been together since I was 16, so that's 40 years this November, 35th anniversary in late December.

Dot Com said:
ship me a wheel barrel full of the dirt you're using :P

It's homemade :shh: Just years of adding the good things. I've been adding off and on for 25 years...

I've posted this once already this season, but IMHO, it deserves a second go round. I don't go for seconds often but this is one I can't resist.

Stromboli (not calzone)

1077.jpg

It starts off with a simple bread dough, you can make your own, but we had this already. Roll it out as shown and add the sauce and meatballs.

Recipe for the sauce and meatballs we use here:

http://www.devtex.net/recipe.html

If you can follow directions this sauce will make you very happy ;) <-----I only say that because some friends have shortcut the cook time, just cant do that!

1078.jpg

Add a layer of sandwich pepperoni, then sharp provolone cheese.

1079.jpg

A nice a layer of a whole milk Mozzarella cheese a. ;)  Whole milk cheese is way better, don't a waste a you money on the substitutes.

1080.jpg

Fold it over and fork it :D

1081.jpg

Here it is, forked down and coated with egg whites. I'm a hungry!

1082.jpg

Cook at 375° until a nice a golden brown.

1083.jpg

Then it's a manja, manja.

Seconds and thirds are optional ;)

This must be the mother of all grow logs being 83 pages and only the end of june lots of gloging to go.  Super great harvest with lot of variety with shapes and color going on there Scott.  Good on the wife helping out pickin' pods.  To me a table full of pretty peppers is more beautiful that fireworks on the 4th of July.  That Stromboli looks so tasty and just made me real hungry but for some reason you left out the peppers in the ingredients.  Yum!

I have been shuffling around just under 700 plants. I have 230 extras right now.
How have I done it? Well... It hasn't been easy! That's all I can say.
I haven't found anything mixed up yet, but I'm sure I will find out, soon as things pod up, that I did. I'm pretty sure of it.
I did completely loose my yellow Jonahs. It's like they got up and walked out of here alone. When I went to plant, they were no where to be found. And I know I potted them up as seedlings into the 3.5 inch pots and they made it under the shade cloth. I remember that.
My Trinidad perfumes just started podding up, so those caught my eye.
And for real! No peppers in the Stromboli? I would have gone with one of the annuums or yel 7s myself!

capsidadburn said:
Quite a mega haul there Scott!  Nothing else to say but Wow!  Mouth agape in awe!  You still are in the front half of your season so lots more to come.  Congrats on your years together too.

Thanks Mike!

I blame it on the nice for a change spring into summer ;)

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
This must be the mother of all grow logs being 83 pages and only the end of june lots of gloging to go.  Super great harvest with lot of variety with shapes and color going on there Scott.  Good on the wife helping out pickin' pods.  To me a table full of pretty peppers is more beautiful that fireworks on the 4th of July.  That Stromboli looks so tasty and just made me real hungry but for some reason you left out the peppers in the ingredients.  Yum!

Thanks I appreciate the compliments!

I'll address the strombolli below ;)

Jeff H said:
Ohhhh, called out by Cappy. That is rough.

Still a great looking calzone. Just tell everyone there is Brainstrain powder in the sauce. That will keep them off of your back. ;)
 Thanks Jeff,

Yeah, what he said! ;)

GA Growhead said:
I have been shuffling around just under 700 plants. I have 230 extras right now.
How have I done it? Well... It hasn't been easy! That's all I can say.
I haven't found anything mixed up yet, but I'm sure I will find out, soon as things pod up, that I did. I'm pretty sure of it.
I did completely loose my yellow Jonahs. It's like they got up and walked out of here alone. When I went to plant, they were no where to be found. And I know I potted them up as seedlings into the 3.5 inch pots and they made it under the shade cloth. I remember that.
My Trinidad perfumes just started podding up, so those caught my eye.
And for real! No peppers in the Stromboli? I would have gone with one of the annuums or yel 7s myself!

I appreciate your input when you see an error, I'm still figuring out the multitude of different strains, and there's supposed t be a Yellow Cardi there...LOL.

Nulle said:
That Stromboli looks absolutely eatable :drooling: :drooling:

Thanks,

Try it sometime, you should be pleased ;)

jedisushi06 said:
That food and pods look so good!  I agree i would have put some pods in it!
Thanks Mikey!

OK to address the pepper-less Strombolli.:

I don't know why but I don't "spice up" any of the homemade Italian foods. I also don't eat Italian food at a restaurant. Unless it's Pizza from Little Vinnie's in Lake Ronkonkoma, LI, NY. And I'll be eating there Thursday evening!

To me growing up on a steady diet of my grandfathers "red sauce" recipe is something I'll never mess with. And that's just me, why change perfection? ;)

Thanks for reading!

Back