• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Hey man, I'm a bit confused on Stromboli.
Let me first say I totally love your dish, there is no doubt about it. Awesomeness! may it even be pepper-less.
But shouldn't the dough be rolled up after it is filled up, before you actually throw it in the oven? I do realize you cannot do much after it's cooked.
You said Stomboli (not calzone) so I gather this isn't really a calzone, but a Stromboli recipe. So what is the difference ? the size of the dough ? I believe the fillings are quite the same as calzone, aren't they ?
If this is how the recipe is supposed to be, have you tried rolling the whole thing up?

Grow is absolutely staggering Scott. That's an amazing pull. Did LB manage to do anything else that day?!

Stromboli looks great too man. I bet some of those annuums grilled up next to it would be quite tasty. You got any pepper projected lined up for that harvest?

I chomped two JA habs from the seeds you sent me with lunch today. Great pod, nice hab level heat. Good flavor. I bet it would complement beef or mutton quite well.

Keep the posts comin'!

lucilanga said:
Hey man, I'm a bit confused on Stromboli.
Let me first say I totally love your dish, there is no doubt about it. Awesomeness! may it even be pepper-less.
But shouldn't the dough be rolled up after it is filled up, before you actually throw it in the oven? I do realize you cannot do much after it's cooked.
You said Stomboli (not calzone) so I gather this isn't really a calzone, but a Stromboli recipe. So what is the difference ? the size of the dough ? I believe the fillings are quite the same as calzone, aren't they ?
If this is how the recipe is supposed to be, have you tried rolling the whole thing up?

I had a better answer the last time I posted this and time is an issue as we're traveling Thursday, and am behind.

Here's a URL:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-26/features/ct-tribu-daley-question-stromboli-20130326_1_stromboli-calzone-dough

But before I read it was about using meats,but in this article they claim the shape. But anywho be it Strombolli or a calzone...it's goooood! ;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Grow is absolutely staggering Scott. That's an amazing pull. Did LB manage to do anything else that day?!

Stromboli looks great too man. I bet some of those annuums grilled up next to it would be quite tasty. You got any pepper projected lined up for that harvest?

I chomped two JA habs from the seeds you sent me with lunch today. Great pod, nice hab level heat. Good flavor. I bet it would complement beef or mutton quite well.

Keep the posts comin'!
 thanks Adam!

Oh yeah she's a machine, we both work off of each other, especially in the kitchen. I sent most of those off and gave away a bunch, some go in the freezer, projects will come later. A ton to be picked Tuesday when we get back from NY. And we have until late November to satisfy our needs ;)

Glad you like the JA HAbs, we had chicken quesadilla tonight with a JA Hab, it added a nice spark!

Gotta go 4:15 comes fast!

Devv said:
this-is-sparta.jpg

Devv said:
Stromboli (not calzone)
This looks excellent and i second ingredients and recipe!
And thanks for explanation link with difference with calzone after some posts.
One day i really should make that.
I had the wrong idea of that. When i googled stromboli i saw something similar to a roll.
For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromboli_(food)

Just to make things more complex, there's also disco volante (flying disc), basically a pizza covered with other dough, and a funnier version, vulcano (volcano). Some photos of mine:

jbb5VkDCfKSux6_ss.jpg

Someone uses alcohol to set it on fire just for show:
Video link to the flaming part.
That video explains how to make a volcano and is speechless btw so it's good for any language. :P

Essegi said:
this-is-sparta.jpg

This looks excellent and i second ingredients and recipe!
And thanks for explanation link with difference with calzone after some posts.
One day i really should make that.
I had the wrong idea of that. When i googled stromboli i saw something similar to a roll.
For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromboli_(food)

Just to make things more complex, there's also disco volante (flying disc), basically a pizza covered with other dough, and a funnier version, vulcano (volcano). Some photos of mine:

jbb5VkDCfKSux6_ss.jpg

Someone uses alcohol to set it on fire just for show:
Video link to the flaming part.
That video explains how to make a volcano and is speechless btw so it's good for any language. :P
Thanks Essegi!

That flying disc looks great! If it's got red sauce, meatballs, and cheese, I'm in!

You know the line "Strombolli (not calzone)" was a poke at the first time I posted this last season. Everyone came back saying it's Calzone. One could say they are really the same, and the name differences here in the States are probably due to locations. Just like people up north call a dish that's made with tortilla's burrito's, down here in south Texas they're called tacos. My wife found the original recipe somewhere on the Internet and it was called Strombolli, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Bottom line is if it eats good who cares what it's called? ;)

Well it got pretty hot here today, around 96°, and the heat came in early as it does this time of year. It will stay hot until after sunset. Even though I watered Sunday, I flooded the ditches, and will again tomorrow, to get ready for 5 unattended days while we travel. I also setup a timer to run the wobbler sprinklers 90 minutes every 2 days. I'm sure the plants will survive, and I have a buddy checking things Saturday. While watering today I noticed quite a bit of just getting ripe pods. I hope they can last until Tuesday!

I feel your pain Scott... we got up to a muggy 90 degrees here today, and it was so nice to come home to an air-conditioned house and crack a cold beer!

I made Carnitas for supper tonight, and stirred in scallion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, lime juice and one of your JA red Habs. I couldn't resist, and put a little sambal oelek on each tortilla to kick it up another notch since they're kinda mild for a Hab. The Jamaican Mushroom peppers were very mild and tasty on a fried egg and cheese sandwich at breakfast this morning. Whatever those long, bumpy orange peppers are, they make great Pico de Gallo salsa!

I made a sort of pizza for my Mom with some of the za'atar spice mix the other day... I mixed a few tbsp of the spices with an equal amount of good olive oil, brushed it on a thin pizza dough crust and topped it with slices of fresh mozzarella and dead-ripe roma tomatoes. Technically it would be a manousheh, not a pizza, but like you say... she loved it so what does it matter what it's called.

stickman said:
I feel your pain Scott... we got up to a muggy 90 degrees here today, and it was so nice to come home to an air-conditioned house and crack a cold beer!

I made Carnitas for supper tonight, and stirred in scallion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, lime juice and one of your JA red Habs. I couldn't resist, and put a little sambal oelek on each tortilla to kick it up another notch since they're kinda mild for a Hab. The Jamaican Mushroom peppers were very mild and tasty on a fried egg and cheese sandwich at breakfast this morning. Whatever those long, bumpy orange peppers are, they make great Pico de Gallo salsa!

I made a sort of pizza for my Mom with some of the za'atar spice mix the other day... I mixed a few tbsp of the spices with an equal amount of good olive oil, brushed it on a thin pizza dough crust and topped it with slices of fresh mozzarella and dead-ripe roma tomatoes. Technically it would be a manousheh, not a pizza, but like you say... she loved it so what does it matter what it's called.

I grew up in NY without AC, July through August was always murder. Thank goodness AC is in most homes and cars nowadays. My first new vehicle was a '78 Bronco, I special ordered it and added the AC option.

Yeah I found out the seeds I bought that supposed to be Scotch Bonnets were Jamaican Mushroom's. We even get mysteries when we buy!

Those orange peppers are Costeno Amarillo's.

Manousheh, sounds great!

The Jamaican Mushrooms I grew last season were pretty hot, certainly not mild in the least. I'm thinking they'll be well suited to the potato/parmesan filling I used on the Padrons. I can't have enough recipes, and, Scott here has some gooders. Have a safe trip, Mr. Scott.

Devv said:
Thanks Essegi!

That flying disc looks great! If it's got red sauce, meatballs, and cheese, I'm in!

You know the line "Strombolli (not calzone)" was a poke at the first time I posted this last season. Everyone came back saying it's Calzone. One could say they are really the same, and the name differences here in the States are probably due to locations. Just like people up north call a dish that's made with tortilla's burrito's, down here in south Texas they're called tacos. My wife found the original recipe somewhere on the Internet and it was called Strombolli, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Bottom line is if it eats good who cares what it's called? ;)

Well it got pretty hot here today, around 96°, and the heat came in early as it does this time of year. It will stay hot until after sunset. Even though I watered Sunday, I flooded the ditches, and will again tomorrow, to get ready for 5 unattended days while we travel. I also setup a timer to run the wobbler sprinklers 90 minutes every 2 days. I'm sure the plants will survive, and I have a buddy checking things Saturday. While watering today I noticed quite a bit of just getting ripe pods. I hope they can last until Tuesday!
There were mozz, tomato puree (homemade), onion marinade ibn evo oil, salt and pepper, and 'nduja.
'Nduja is pork and hot pepper mixed, a southern stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Nduja
With onion is pure awesomeness.

Quite hot in your place. Here il colder because we have frequent rain and clouds, otherwise would as hot as yours... At my aunt place i think in june i've watered a couple of times my peppers...

jedisushi06 said:
Iv'e been fooled by the Mushroom pepper twice!  Drives me nuts.

Jeff H said:

Put me on the list as well. Love the pepper for what it is, but I bought it thinking it was a SB.

Scott, where did you buy the seeds?

I got them at seedtrack.com, heck I'm going to grow them again next season just to see what comes up. And here I was thinking they were the ugly first pods...LOL

Roguejim said:
The Jamaican Mushrooms I grew last season were pretty hot, certainly not mild in the least. I'm thinking they'll be well suited to the potato/parmesan filling I used on the Padrons. I can't have enough recipes, and, Scott here has some gooders. Have a safe trip, Mr. Scott.

Thanks Jim!

One thing about the THP, plenty of great recipes floating around out there. Not just for sauces but whole meals.

maximumcapsicum said:
Got to get in on this Italian cooking.

The JA mushrooms look like they'd be be a good side chopped up and fried. Kind of a sweet, hotter bell situation? Maybe?

Adam,

I grew up on it, and it was always a special meal, and still is. I've been sharing this recipe for year. Everyone's like yeah sounds good, I'll take a copy. But they never make it. The first guy that did came in and said "Made your sauce recipe this weekend." I asked "How was it". His reply, "kinda of bland".

I asked "how long did you cook it?" "5 hours". I said "there you go". The key is the cook time and season lightly. We use the rule, compliment, not overpower when seasoning.

A week later LB put meatball hero fixin's in my lunch, there was enough for two sammies. I gave him one, he took one bite and started dialing, "Uh, we need to make this sauce again". Now he gets it right.

I haven't tasted a third of what's out there yet, but it's on my list. ;)

jedisushi06 said:
yeah they have a nice sweet flavor up front but they are not scotch bonnets!  Decent heat and they produced well for me the past two years here.

So what do you use them for? And the plant is starting to kick in nicely!

Roguejim said:
The ones I grew were thin walled, not a lot of meat. I must be a panty boy, because, they lit me up.

These seem thick walled, at least they feel that way. I still haven't cut one open yet...

Essegi said:
There were mozz, tomato puree (homemade), onion marinade ibn evo oil, salt and pepper, and 'nduja.
 'Nduja is pork and hot pepper mixed, a southern stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Nduja
With onion is pure awesomeness.

Quite hot in your place. Here il colder because we have frequent rain and clouds, otherwise would as hot as yours... At my aunt place i think in june i've watered a couple of times my peppers...

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/" nduja"="">I read up on the 'Nduja sounds quite good. Thanks for sharing!

We were blessed with the weather up to now. Now we have the typical Texas summer, which is hot. Hope the garden hangs while we're gone!

stickman said:

Is this recipe pretty close to what you remember Giancarlo?   http://www.cucumbertown.com/homemade-nduja-sausage-recipe-dish

I'm going to have to make that, I have the setup and casings. Just need the pork. Thanks for that Rick!

OCD Chilehead said:
Damn Scott. That Strombolli looks good. I'm getting tired of pasta and sauce. I should give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

Chuck,

You won't be disappointed!

So it seems I need a bump to finish answering, LOL

Back