• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Devv said:
I'm going to have to make that, I have the setup and casings. Just need the pork. Thanks for that Rick!

I will have to do this myself too. I must admit I never imagined this a fiery version.
I'm most accustomed with the rather mild version of this.

Some replies that were blocked before, because I posted to many replies. For real? ;)

JJJessee said:
Have fun in the North country. Congrats on 35 coming up. We just passed ours.

The garden looks fantastic! Looks like you've set it up so well I could sit on cruise control for a while.

What is your go-to tomato for saucing?

Thanks JJJ!

We love the trips to LI for the 4th of July. Here fireworks are legal, but all they have is kid stuff. Illegal in NY, so they go wherever, probably the Carolina's. And they shoot the big $300 mortars all night for 3 nights, last year we watched from LB's sister's yard, they put on quite a show.

We've been stuck on Early Girls for their production and flavor, added San Marzano to the list this season and it's now number one. We stick to small sizes as they do better in the heat. This season I finally figured out how to beat the BER which was damaging up to 30% of the crop. So I can try to expand of the varieties. I treated them weekly with tsp per gallon of Calmag, and 1/2oz. of Seaweed Extract in a foliar feed until 90% of the fruit was set. We had just 1 mater with BER this season. Never could get a single Roma to come out without BER. Last year I used the same mix as a drench and had poor results.

Essegi said:
Yes, it's that!
I've never made 'nduja, and i couild consider that, only bought. There's also canned one, but the best is this with salami form.
Good stuff indeed, with pasta, pizza or just with roasted bread. ;)

I'm betting I can find some while up in NY, and am going to try! Also when I'm there I'm loading up on as much Italian sausage as I can carry, can't get it here (as good anyways). And I have tried to make it, same thing...

Well I'm outa here until probably Wednesday, hope that storm winding up the East Coast leaves us be.

'Yall keep it green!

lucilanga said:

I will have to do this myself too. I must admit I never imagined this a fiery version.
I'm most accustomed with the rather mild version of this.

Do you make your own sausages? I got into it 15 years ago, the thing now is too many things I like to do ;)

lucilanga said:

Oh just once in a while, I was never able to master this. Every other batch I made, manages to set me back.
But yeah, I like doin' it, there's no doubt about it.

One thing I've learned is the simpler recipes seem to come out the best. Like a country sausage made with pork or a pork venison mix and just salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder. I always write down the recipe, so I can tweak it the next time. The other thing is what I like may not taste good to you, so with that in mind I make really small batches now when trying to nail down a recipe. Especially when using someone else's as a starting point.

When I first got started I bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-Meat-Curing/dp/0025668609

His recipes are a bit salty for my tastes, but a ton of recipes and good curing information.

Devv said:

One thing I've learned is the simpler recipes seem to come out the best. Like a country sausage made with pork or a pork venison mix and just salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder. I always write down the recipe, so I can tweak it the next time. The other thing is what I like may not taste good to you, so with that in mind I make really small batches now when trying to nail down a recipe. Especially when using someone else's as a starting point.

When I first got started I bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-Meat-Curing/dp/0025668609

His recipes are a bit salty for my tastes, but a ton of recipes and good curing information.

Thanks!
I totally agree on the simplicity part. I think there might be a magical combination on salt, pepper and garlic. The key is finding the right proportions.
Throwing other things in the equation is just an useless complication, it doesn't really add to the taste and it makes mixing a pain.

You are right, the other secret is scaling it down. It's so easy to get overboard with this. Of course it's easier said than done on my part.

GA Growhead said:
Thanks Scott!
Already had my mouth set on :fire:

14043589778860.jpg

Your're very welcome!

Looks like they got there in good shape. Enjoy!

lucilanga said:

Thanks!
I totally agree on the simplicity part. I think there might be a magical combination on salt, pepper and garlic. The key is finding the right proportions.
Throwing other things in the equation is just an useless complication, it doesn't really add to the taste and it makes mixing a pain.

You are right, the other secret is scaling it down. It's so easy to get overboard with this. Of course it's easier said than done on my part.

When I get back we'll have to talk recipes, I have a few that I have broken down to 2 and 5 pounds.

stickman said:

Amen brother... you're certainly not alone in that! ;)

Have a good time Scott... and bring a couple of umbrellas... :P

Thanks Rick!

As usual the few days before I left were nuts, Tuesday we lost a 3000VA UPS and a drive in a raid 5 array, then the outside phone lines went down. Wednesday the Internet border router locked up, LB got a flat tire, and we're watching that storm...but that's almost every trip. Things go great all year until I'm ready to take off. Last year I had a SAN volume go corrupt, and almost cancelled my trip. I wasn't in Ohio 2 hours and I get a call, an 18 wheeler knocked down our private fiber and took out 2 campuses..

It's like the Matrix won't let me leave...LOL

Look what came yesterday.  Thanks, Scott.  Really nice treats in there - I certainly appreciate them.  You did a good job on the mix!

Stop surfing the web and enjoy your vacation!  When you get back would you ID what I don't know?

Jimmy Nardello           Bonda ma Jacques         Red??
more Nardllos ?          Bishop's Crown               Jals
Red??                         Red??                             Seranno          Aji Pineapple

meatfreak said:
Great harvest and awesome that you share the heat with a lot of other members that still have to wait!! Have a great weekend, Scott :)

Thanks Stefan!

After all that was shared with me I feel it's my turn :party:

Durham Bull said:
hi,
been away for a few weeks... trying to catch up. 85 pages... wow
amazing grow.

Thanks Sy!

Things are getting kind of crazy!

cone9 said:
Look what came yesterday.  Thanks, Scott.  Really nice treats in there - I certainly appreciate them.  You did a good job on the mix!

Stop surfing the web and enjoy your vacation!  When you get back would you ID what I don't know?

Jimmy Nardello           Bonda ma Jacques         Red??
more Nardllos ?          Bishop's Crown               Jals
Red??                         Red??                             Seranno          Aji Pineapple
 Your more than welcome Dave!

Second red down left are Onza Rojo

The ones by the paper towel are Red Carribbean, and the rest are JA Habs.

jedisushi06 said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_1511.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_1512.jpg
Love the Jigsaw Scott.  Heat was incredible, but the flavor was amazing.

Glad you're liking them Mikey!

Are you growing any?

maximumcapsicum said:
Those jigsaws are mean. Amazing aroma and look though. Drying some of the seeds from the one he sent me.

I've yet to taste one, with the trip we just took I played it safe and stopped tasting a few days before...LOL :D

But I did pick some today ;)

jedisushi06 said:
Yeah me too
:party:

So we got in last night right at midnight and by the time we drove home and settled down it was 2AM. Up this morning at 4:15 for work, they wouldn't let us have today off. So today was spent half in lala land....LOL.

My knee held up to all the walking, so that's a good thing! Guess I've been treating it right.

My partner at work checked in and watered a couple of times, or they would have fried. He also kept the dogs in food and water.

The storms in the northeast made for a long trip Thursday, we ran over 5 hours late and had to drop down from a holding pattern into Pa. for more fuel. But we got there. The weather was great! Friday rained some, but Sat and Sun were low 80's and dry, 60's in the AM.

I watered and picked a few rows this afternoon as I watered until LB came home, the plants are loaded! I'll be out picking again tomorrow.

Glad you made it with no problems. That's great news about your knee. Did the garden look different? Every time I leave for a period of time, the garden looks bigger.

Thanks for the update. Get some rest.

Chuck

Back