• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

First things first... best wishes for a stellar birthday to LB! Glad she didn't spend it all in one place... ;)

It's just par for the course when late summer comes along and your peppers grow together into a single leaf canopy...  as long as enough light and air get underneath their skirts to keep mold issues at bay, it's all good.

Most excellent that you got so many A-grade MoA pods, and nice haul today! I wonder if temperature has anything to do with getting the proper shape? Cheers!

randyp said:
       Welcome back Scott.Getting your clock readjusted will be good for you guys.I have a box heading your way on Monday.Sauce and whatnot.Good luck with the weedeater. :P
 Thanks Randy!

Looking forward to the delivery ;)

Yeah, tomorrow's lawnmower and weedeater day. LB will weed the garden, as I'm still unable to squat, but the knee let's me walk again. And I'm really liking that! My self rehab seems to be working well, the pedometer I bought shows I've walked 25 miles since July 20th. The goal is 100%!

thirdcoasttx said:
Dang Scott you are still getting some nice hauls! Lookin good my friend.

Thanks Dan!
The weather's been great for a change! if it hit 100° I was not here ;)

stickman said:
First things first... best wishes for a stellar birthday to LB! Glad she didn't spend it all in one place... ;)

It's just par for the course when late summer comes along and your peppers grow together into a single leaf canopy...  as long as enough light and air get underneath their skirts to keep mold issues at bay, it's all good.

Most excellent that you got so many A-grade MoA pods, and nice haul today! I wonder if temperature has anything to do with getting the proper shape? Cheers!

Thanks Rick!

B-Day wishes passed on to LB, she turned 54 27 today ;)  We go by half year nowadays :shh:

Oh, no mold here, too dry!

I think the MoA's just need time. 3 cheers for the most excellent seeds Ramon sent. I just wish he was around to see how well his gifts did! I had a plant in the raised bed that turned out to be a MoA (I started a ton) and it's first pods were funky, and the newer ones are A grade. Can't wait to put them to use!

Ya gotta make some Jerk chicken with 'em Scott... at least once! The biggest mistake people make when doing it up for the first time is going too heavy on the allspice. I like a more balanced flavor, so first I make a rub in the food processor with the following:

1 onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, including the green tops
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4-6 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chiles, chopped
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

combine all ingredients and grind to a paste. Makes about 1 cup, which is enough for 4-6 pounds of meat. Stores well in the 'fridge in a tightly-closed jar for about a month. If you can, try to buy whole spices and grind just what you need at any one time. Coffee grinders are perfect for this.

When I want to make the Jerk chicken, I cut a 3 to 3-1/2 pound chicken into serving-sized pieces and set aside. I brighten the rub by pulsing in a food processor or blender: a half cup of the jerk rub from the 'fridge together with a finely chopped onion, another finely minced Scotch Bonnet chile, the minced leaves from a fresh thyme sprig and 2 finely chopped scallions... including the green tops. Slather the chicken pieces with 2/3 of the rub, cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. The other third of the rub I mix with a couple of tbsp of brown sugar and the juice of a couple limes and put in the fridge for a glaze when the chicken's cooked. Cook the chicken over low heat like you would in a pit barbecue, and when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, coat with glaze and cook directly over the coals to caramelize the glaze.  In Jamaica they use a 50/50 mix of charcoal briquettes and pimiento wood, but you can substitute apple or hickory... or I suspect you could use mesquite... ;)

stickman said:
Ya gotta make some Jerk chicken with 'em Scott... at least once! The biggest mistake people make when doing it up for the first time is going too heavy on the allspice. I like a more balanced flavor, so first I make a rub in the food processor with the following:

1 onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, including the green tops
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4-6 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chiles, chopped
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

combine all ingredients and grind to a paste. Makes about 1 cup, which is enough for 4-6 pounds of meat. Stores well in the 'fridge in a tightly-closed jar for about a month. If you can, try to buy whole spices and grind just what you need at any one time. Coffee grinders are perfect for this.

When I want to make the Jerk chicken, I cut a 3 to 3-1/2 pound chicken into serving-sized pieces and set aside. I brighten the rub by pulsing in a food processor or blender: a half cup of the jerk rub from the 'fridge together with a finely chopped onion, another finely minced Scotch Bonnet chile, the minced leaves from a fresh thyme sprig and 2 finely chopped scallions... including the green tops. Slather the chicken pieces with 2/3 of the rub, cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. The other third of the rub I mix with a couple of tbsp of brown sugar and the juice of a couple limes and put in the fridge for a glaze when the chicken's cooked. Cook the chicken over low heat like you would in a pit barbecue, and when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, coat with glaze and cook directly over the coals to caramelize the glaze.  In Jamaica they use a 50/50 mix of charcoal briquettes and pimiento wood, but you can substitute apple or hickory... or I suspect you could use mesquite... ;)
 Thanks Rick!

The recipe has been approved by the boss! And will be made this weekend, can't wait!

MeatHead1313 said:
Welcome back Scott. And happy birthday to LB! Nice haul of peppers there for sure. And those MoA's look stellar! Love the bbg7 pic, looking forward to growing those next year as I've read nothing but good things about their flavour.
 Thanks Chris!

This cooler than average year made a huge difference in the pod setting across the board. If they pan out I'll fix you up with some seeds.

PeriPeri said:
You got an awesome grow going on Scott, really great selection of pods and some serious fire power! Well done my friend!

Thanks Lourens!

Welcome back from body surfin' into with chillren, Scotty! ;) Love Rick's take on jerk. :dance: If you want to get some pimento wood flavor, unless just have to use Mesquite :cool: (no offense to that grand wood) but if use a milder wood, like Pecan, soak a ton of allspice berries, bay leaves work well too, imitates pimento wood. I mean, is close. Counts in horseshoes ;)

Sawyer said:
Was this the hot sauce that got confiscated?  I could understand the confusion.

1587-2T.jpg

Now that I like!

No mine was "nitro" sauce :shh:

annie57 said:
Welcome back from body surfin' into with chillren, Scotty! ;) Love Rick's take on jerk. :dance: If you want to get some pimento wood flavor, unless just have to use Mesquite :cool: (no offense to that grand wood) but if use a milder wood, like Pecan, soak a ton of allspice berries, bay leaves work well too, imitates pimento wood. I mean, is close. Counts in horseshoes ;)

Thanks Annie!

I only ran 3 over :shh: :rolleyes: . I bet they'll be watching for old men body surfing now ;)

Rick's jerk recipe is to be made this weekend for sure. I cook over Mesquite, but I let it go to coals. However I do have Cherry and Hickory, AND some Pecan that I cut into boards and it warped so bad it's BBQ fodder.

Which would you recommend?

Devv said:

Thanks Chris!

This cooler than average year made a huge difference in the pod setting across the board. If they pan out I'll fix you up with some seeds.

Appreciate the offer Scott, but I actually have some BBG7 seeds that I picked up on Coheed's seed train. If it's possible though would you be able to spare some funky reaper seeds? Like a dufus I forgot to save some from the pods you sent me. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Appreciate the offer Scott, but I actually have some BBG7 seeds that I picked up on Coheed's seed train. If it's possible though would you be able to spare some funky reaper seeds? Like a dufus I forgot to save some from the pods you sent me. 
 I can do it! I'll save some from the mother plant the next time I do a harvest. That way they'll be fresh. Writing myself a note...I suffer from CRS :rolleyes:
Well today LB weeded for 3 hours, it's been close to 6 weeks since any weeding was done. She knocked every weed down! When my knee went south she took over a lot of my chores, and that meant the weeds could get a foothold. While she weeded, I tilled (lightly) the middle third of the garden in preparation for the fall garden. 6 weeks and the cool weather crops go in here. I also put up the 30 something tomato cages that I had stacked last week in a pile so the vines would dry and be easier to manage when I went to clean them. I made a decision to pull the plants by September 1st. This won't be easy as they would really put on some serious poddage after the 15th of Sept.

The thing is I already have more pods than I can use or give away. AND I feel the soil needs a well deserved rest, and as LB just added so do we :shh:

So after eating dust mowing for 45 minutes I came into to chill and de-seeded a few pods for the dehydrator.

1157.jpg

White Bhut's and a mix of Aji's. Now what to do with the rest:)

Devv said:
I can do it! I'll save some from the mother plant the next time I do a harvest. That way they'll be fresh. Writing myself a note...I suffer from CRS :rolleyes:Well today LB weeded for 3 hours, it's been close to 6 weeks since any weeding was done. She knocked every weed down! When my knee went south she took over a lot of my chores, and that meant the weeds could get a foothold. While she weeded, I tilled (lightly) the middle third of the garden in preparation for the fall garden. 6 weeks and the cool weather crops go in here. I also put up the 30 something tomato cages that I had stacked last week in a pile so the vines would dry and be easier to manage when I went to clean them. I made a decision to pull the plants by September 1st. This won't be easy as they would really put on some serious poddage after the 15th of Sept.

The thing is I already have more pods than I can use or give away. AND I feel the soil needs a well deserved rest, and as LB just added so do we :shh:

So after eating dust mowing for 45 minutes I came into to chill and de-seeded a few pods for the dehydrator.

1157.jpg

White Bhut's and a mix of Aji's. Now what to do with the rest:)
Appreciate it! If there's anything on my list that interests you let me know and I'll be sure to get some out to you.

Devv said:
 Thanks Rick!

The recipe has been approved by the boss! And will be made this weekend, can't wait!

Thanks Chris!

Thanks Lourens!

Very cool that LB OK'd the Jerk chicken for this weekend! Mango smoothies or grilled Pineapple are an excellent go-with, and there's always a 6pack of Red Stripe...

I'm lovin' the look of the white pods in the dehydrator... Woo hoo! It's summer and we're livin' off the fat of the land!

Wow that's gonna be a fun powder. I bet it's nearly white. What is the variety you have on the right there? 

That lemon you sent me is fantastic... is the plant very productive? Will probably add that one to my grow for 2015. Luckily I did save those seeds.

stickman said:

Very cool that LB OK'd the Jerk chicken for this weekend! Mango smoothies or grilled Pineapple are an excellent go-with, and there's always a 6pack of Red Stripe...

I'm lovin' the look of the white pods in the dehydrator... Woo hoo! It's summer and we're livin' off the fat of the land!

We made the jerk today, and have a chicken defrosting for tomorrow. Hmmmm, we just happen to have a fresh Pineapple on hand, and the Shiners are always in stock ;)

I have the heat on really low, hoping the whites retain their color. I'm going to run the peppers 4-5 more weeks, then the hard part, to pull them all up. And get the cover crop in. Tomorrow me and the pitchfork are going cowpie hunting, I hope to get a yard or so. The thing is they will be hard as a brick...LOL but I have a new toy on the way that should help :shh:

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow that's gonna be a fun powder. I bet it's nearly white. What is the variety you have on the right there? 

That lemon you sent me is fantastic... is the plant very productive? Will probably add that one to my grow for 2015. Luckily I did save those seeds.

The yellows are a mix of Aji Lemon and Pineapple. I can't tell the difference between them so I just put them all together. They should make a nice mild seasoning that LB will use freely. I've been saving seeds, so if you need anymore just holler.

Went into town to lose some peppers, brought around 3.5 gallons of pods to Andrew, who owns a restaurant. He was like, "dude, I haven't processed the last batch yet" I was "well do you want them? I don't expect anything in return." He said "sold!" Hope he froze the last batch...

We ground up a brisket and some venison this afternoon to make chopped meat. We bought the grinder 15 years ago and haven't used store bought chopped meat since. LB's starting a pot of red sauce this evening...film at 11 :D

Amen to grinding your own meat.You can tell the difference in taste.And it's a heck of alot cheaper.Meat prices everywhere are out of control Scott. :confused:

randyp said:
         Amen to grinding your own meat.You can tell the difference in taste.And it's a heck of alot cheaper.Meat prices everywhere are out of control Scott. :confused:

Oh yeah, and you know what's in it ;)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:

:party: :drooling:

So, I may have posted this earlier, if so (and probably) he we go again. This is a non dish, it's my heritage. My grandfather, God rest his soul, always had this on hand. Everyone needs to at least try this once. The key is the long cooktime...

So here we go...

1158.jpg

Brisket and venison blend, home ground.

1159.jpg

In the 16 quart stainless steel pot, 8 garlic cloves, 3 large onions, about 1.5 to 2lbs of chopped meat.

1160.jpg

Garden grown Tomatoes, we used 13 quarts tonight. We drained the excess liquid, before they were blended. 24oz of tomato paste was added. Fresh canned tom's require more than store bought.

1161.jpg

This is a meat sauce, brown as shown. Everything here just disappears into the sauce as it's cooked.

1162.jpg

Add Basil and Bay leaf, the Basil is from the garden

1163.jpg

Next the mix of Oregano

1164.jpg

It was stirred and then. Here's the Rosemary (garden grown) and Italian seasonings.

1165.jpg

Time to cook the meatballs. The recipe is at: http://www.devtex.net/recipe.html

1166.jpg

And they need to be cooked even more than this, or they might fall apart. Here's the kicker....this sauce will cook for 12 hours. And then if you decide to make it. You'll never, yes never go to an Italian restaurant, or buy a store bought sauce...I'll bet my retirement on it...

Enjoy!

Back