• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

JJJessee said:
That's the ticket! Years ago I bought a chipper/shredder, but mine's really just too small to get anything done. One day I may upgrade.

Yeah, that baby was pricey, but a nice product, it's a beast. I mainly use it to shred leaves and chip bark. I'm trying to get all the tools, and toys bought before I retire. Less than 5 years to go! And then it's budget time, unless the stock market does some good...yeah right..

organic pepper said:
Yeah Buddy! That's the way to jam. Making life easier is always good! It's been in the 60's here and I have been debating on getting the outside garden going. Just really warm weather for this time of year. A lot of my plants outside are beginning to bloom. That usually happens around the beginning of April. Is that going to be your compost for next year or are you using that as mulch. Looking awesome pal.

I've read the West is warm this winter so far; wish that was the case here. But..we have had a few warm days in the 70's, Friday cools back down. At least we're not getting that weather the northeast is getting!

I till in goodies in the fall, everything I prep this winter will be mulch for the spring and tilled in after the garden is done so it has a chance to break down over the winter.

I want to thank you for the seeds!

49.jpg

I plan on two seasons this year and will start these to plant in (the dirt) July.

Thanks again!

stickman said:

vodka + juniper berries = gin

... or you could just substitute cleaning products... ;)

All looking fantastic Scott! The flu didn't seem to slow you down much, eh? Glad to see the BOC and King Naga are up for you and you're getting smarter in how you prep the soil for this year's growing effort. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Rick!

Hopefully the weather up your way isn't impacting you too much. My wife's sister lives just north of Islip LI, NY and they got slammed.

randyp said:
     Scott are ya using safety glasses or a shield when using your chipper?If not let me know I will kick ya out a pair.

Thanks Randy,

I use hearing, eye, and now a Darth Vader respirator ;)

Jamison said:
Damn Scott,  I swear if a guy doesn't check in everyday on your Glogs,  he gets set back pages!!!  Progress is amazing,  and it's def earned from all the work and love you put into your garden.  I would be lying to you if I said I wasn't a bit jealous of all your equipment and machines!  Def a back saver.  Keep it up man!

Thanks Jamison!

The machines have come a little at a time. As you age one acquires stuff ;)  The best thing is the tractor, my wife and son talked me into it 8 years ago.

East Texas Heat said:
+1 on #138, this is one the most fascinating glogs around. Something good is always going on in Devine. Keep up the good work sir!

Thanks Bruce!

I do stay busy, and need more hours in a day!

Pulpiteer said:
Nice with the wood chipper! I'm jealous.  You're treating your soil right - should be another great year for you!

Thanks Andy!

I've wanted a chipper-shredder for years and years. What I like is the ground up product is fine and will break down readily.

Thanks for reading!

Carry on, brother; looks like you have everything well in hand.  
I always say how jealous I am of space like yours, but in truth,
I probably wouldn't do half the job you do with yours!

Can't wait  to see the explosion of growth under the shade cloth!

PaulG said:
Carry on, brother; looks like you have everything well in hand.  
I always say how jealous I am of space like yours, but in truth,
I probably wouldn't do half the job you do with yours!

Can't wait  to see the explosion of growth under the shade cloth!

Thanks Paul!

But I've seen the pics of your yard, if you had the room, I'm sure you would be doing the same. I don't work myself to death anymore, like I used to; now a days I'm playing the "tortoise" game. Sitting at a desk for the last 15 years hasn't done me any good. Less than 5 years left to retire; I just hope I have enough left to get back in the shape I want to be. You can be assured I'm going to give it heck!

I have the materials to add 400sf to the shade frame; hopefully that will happen this weekend ;)

Wicked Mike said:
Wow, nice grow! Looking forward to following this.

Thanks for stopping by Mike!

maximumcapsicum said:
Two seasons! Awesome plan. Can't wait to see how it pans out. 

Planted seeds from the aji lemons you sent me last year. 100% germ in under 4 days. Looks like the Devine Magic has come to the ATL.

Glad to hear it Adam!

Yeah, I'm going to run until December this year, weather allowing ;)

We never did stop growing, the raised beds are still producing Broccoli, Green Onions, Carrots, and Garlic. Lettuce is done but more are germing ;)

organic pepper said:

I want to thank you for the seeds!

49.jpg

I plan on two seasons this year and will start these to plant in (the dirt) July.

Thanks again!

You bet.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Wicked Mike said:
Scott, anything you're looking for seedwise? I've got a bit of a debt to pay forward. If you're into nonpepper varieties, I've got even more.

Thanks for the offer Mike!

Being this is my 3rd year here, I have more than I have room to plant. And with 8 weeks until "dirt day", I've cut off my sowing.

Get with me in late October and we can compare lists and share.

Thanks again!

beerbreath81 said:
Scott,

Always so busy over there, very nice chipper you got there buddy, leaves will be great for the soil for sure. The plants are looking great and look to be growing at a good pace. Hows the overwinters doin?

Hi Anthony!

Yeah, I need longer days and a younger body ;)  I'm still working and can hardly...barely keep up with the place. Less than 5 years until retirement, then things will change! Sitting at a desk is bad, real bad....

Last night we lost power for 4 hours, glad it wasn't 100° outside!

These came in the mail on Wednesday, I'm late in putting them up, mainly because I've been deer hunting.

50.jpg

51.jpg

Very generous Lourens! I look forward to the grow!

52.jpg

And this product is aptly named! They will light you up!

Thanks again Lourens!

53.jpg

54.jpg

Group shot of the gals...

As you can see I scaled back the grow this season. I'll still have plenty, but won't be overwhelmed.

I have 25 that never came up, and I replanted them. Time is running out...

Nice selection of plants, and they're looking like they're enjoying their solos. Scaling back is hard... The key is focussing on what you'll use. That and making time to use em.

Pretty cool that you're growin year round. Hope I settle somewhere that isn't too cold.

I know they have a number of songs for the blues, but do they have any for the greens? :P  It's nice to see your seedlings looking so good Scott! Y'know... if you invested in some IRT plastic mulch and set up low row covers, I'd be willing to bet you could still make that March deadline for planting outside. Just sayin' ... ;)

JJJessee said:
Gals are looking fine. May the spring rains be generous!

Thanks JJJ!

I have a gut feeling we're coming out of the 10 year drought; we've gotten nice rains this fall and winter.

I remember in the early 80's when I lived in Magnolia (NW of Houston), I never had to water my garden all season.

Sawyer said:
Quite an inspirational glog, Scott.  Tomorrow.  Tomorrow my first seeds go in the dirt.

Nice package from Lourens, too.

Thanks John!

Good luck with your germ rates!

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice selection of plants, and they're looking like they're enjoying their solos. Scaling back is hard... The key is focussing on what you'll use. That and making time to use em.

Pretty cool that you're growin year round. Hope I settle somewhere that isn't too cold.

Thanks Adam!

Last season the garden took over my life. It was fun, a labor of love, but I have other things I need to be doing too.

I'm hoping LB will enjoy the milder peppers I've chosen this year ;)

tctenten said:
Plants look good Scott.  Did you have any luck on your hunt?

Thanks Terry,

I get the invite after the rancher's family and friends are done for the year. They won't shoot does, and he has way too many deer on the place. I appreciate the invite and have killed 3 does over the last 2 seasons, but it's hard hunting after 3 months of deer season. They come out late and stay far away from the blinds. Wednesday I went for the first time this season and they were 300 yds. out. Thursday I took the wife out, last night I moved closer to where they come out and setup a simple ground blind made from hog panels and camo material. I stack some brush in front of it and usually have good luck, but all I saw was 3 fawns. Tonight's a rain out and Sunday is the last day. So no success so far..

Pulpiteer said:
Awesome package! I love the name of the cashews, and also the warning!

The plants are looking great.  I love the big, fat leaves when they just get going inside.  Looking good!

Thanks Andy!

I'm tempted to plant some of those seeds, but it's too late. Very interesting varieties, cool thing, most are new to me.

Those seeds hit the dirt 40 days ago, I'm impressed with their progress so far. It won't be too long before they go into the 1 gallon pots...

stickman said:
I know they have a number of songs for the blues, but do they have any for the greens? :P  It's nice to see your seedlings looking so good Scott! Y'know... if you invested in some IRT plastic mulch and set up low row covers, I'd be willing to bet you could still make that March deadline for planting outside. Just sayin' ... ;)

Thanks Rick!

I'm going to give that a whirl this year ;)

Devv said:
Last night we lost power for 4 hours, glad it wasn't 100° outside!

These came in the mail on Wednesday, I'm late in putting them up, mainly because I've been deer hunting.

50.jpg

51.jpg

Very generous Lourens! I look forward to the grow!

52.jpg

And this product is aptly named! They will light you up!

Thanks again Lourens!

53.jpg

54.jpg

Group shot of the gals...

As you can see I scaled back the grow this season. I'll still have plenty, but won't be overwhelmed.

I have 25 that never came up, and I replanted them. Time is running out...
nice seeds and those cashew nuts is  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling: they look onolicious...... :fireball:  :fireball:
and babies and doin pretty darn goood

Plants are looking good Scott, cant wait to see them in the dirt. The cashews look mean, do you know what powder he used on them? You said you were out deer hunting were you able to bag one?

Back