• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

Peptacular said:
Nice looking setup an harvests! The arrow stakes crack me up. Looking at an awesome season, you are.

Thanks!

Hey the arrows were just laying around, and they work! Free is way cool!

I got some heat from Florida today, Jamie (Romy6) sent me some gorgeous pods!

302.jpg

Looks like Brains, Choc hab's, Red Bhut's? and Scotch Bonnet's?.  I will definitely put them to good use.

Thanks again!

That one up there toward the top just to the right of the Yellow Cardi Scorpion looks to be a Barrackpore...looks like a couple more in that line of 5 pods at the 8 o'clock position. Looks like either a couple Brains in the upper left or a Brain and a Moruga...but I think both brains. the smooth long slender pods are probably Sweet Venetian Habs (no heat) the rest of the reds could be 7's or Scorpions of some sort and a bunch of Chocolate Habs. Be real, real careful with the Barrackpores and Brains...just sayin!

WalkGood said:
Awesome score \o/ I think you’re going to love dat heat!!! Those peppers from the romy6 pepper estates that Jamie runs grows are wonderful and he is certainly Mr. Generosity ^_^

Yes sir they sure are beautiful! And I really do appreciate the generosity! Jamie's plants are amazing!

stickman said:
That Jamie's a straight-up guy! and they're great peppers. Enjoy!

Yes he is! And thanks:) I'm trying to figure out how to  use them in the best way.

stc3248 said:
That one up there toward the top just to the right of the Yellow Cardi Scorpion looks to be a Barrackpore...looks like a couple more in that line of 5 pods at the 8 o'clock position. Looks like either a couple Brains in the upper left or a Brain and a Moruga...but I think both brains. the smooth long slender pods are probably Sweet Venetian Habs (no heat) the rest of the reds could be 7's or Scorpions of some sort and a bunch of Chocolate Habs. Be real, real careful with the Barrackpores and Brains...just sayin!

Thanks for the ID's! And the warnings! I remember reading what you posted about the Barrackpore's on Jamie's glog...

StupidJerk said:
Looking good! Your reapers are all podding up already! Mine just keep putting out flowers and never setting. Awesome grow!

Thanks!

The #1 Reaper kept dropping flowers and then they started setting and they just keep pouring it on, I'm sure yours will do the same. I did notice that now that it has all the pods it's stopped growing wider and taller.

GA Growhead said:
Awesome score!
I have 3 reapers going. Wondering if i will get the same diversity. Hopefully those #1 reaps are tasty hot!
 Thanks, the generosity here @ THP is amazing!

Here's some Reaper pics, 4 plants all sown Feb 6th or 7th, they all have a little bit different traits IMHO.
None have been topped, or pinched except for the removal of some ugly leaves, and that was just a few:

303.jpg
304.jpg

#1 almost 3' wide and about 2.5' high, the right pic, it's the one next to the banana pepper.

305.jpg
306.jpg

#2, not nearly as wide but almost as tall, with larger leaves.

307.jpg
308.jpg

#3 Short and wide, has the smaller leaves, and is bushy like #1. It's almost as wide as #1.

309.jpg
310.jpg

#4 resembles #2

311.jpg

The pods on #1 are filling out...and it's loooaaadded...

I agree, look like bhuts...folks are already wondering how stable this variety is. I'd say those pics make for some more head scratching??? All great looking plants, and sometimes the surprises turn out better than the real deal!

WalkGood said:
Scott those pictures really shows off the lush coloration in the leaves and plants. That last shot is reaper pods? Looks more like ghost to me o_O

Those are the skinny Jal like pods from the other day, starting to plump up.

Those plants are really exceeding my expectations, but I have been hammering them with seaweed extract and Hasta Grow, love that stuff...

Have you seen this type of difference before in the same variety? I have not.

stc3248 said:
I agree, look like bhuts...folks are already wondering how stable this variety is. I'd say those pics make for some more head scratching??? All great looking plants, and sometimes the surprises turn out better than the real deal!

That's why I posted them, IMHO and, or not knowing sh!t, they should all look the same. I'm sure they will offer some burn...and I'm interested in what they look like in a week. But stable...I don't think yet.

WalkGood said:
I didn't mean anything negative, they still look awesome and I'm sure you'll get some serious fire from dem \o/

I know that, I've been posting them because they look suspect. Heck all's I did was grow them :D

They're gonna be what they're gonna be. There's been quite  a bit of conversation here and there about the stability of the Reaper's, and I just wanted to show what I came up with.

I have to say this, had I not purchased the Reaper seeds and googled as to how to grow them I would never have found the THP. The number one response was the Reaper community grow, so it's all good!

stc3248 said:
Haha...usually a few bad seeds is the start of something terrible! Not on here! :dance:

Haven't come across any bad seeds here. Everyone is great :P

I started pulling the corn up yesterday in the 95 degree heat, that didn't last very long.

Woke up to a nice storm heading our way, dropped a 1/2" of rain and cooled things down to 67, 67 in June? In south Tejas?

Anyway, I pulled the corn and stacked it layers, corn, compost, corn, compost. Took me 3 hours. Thanks for the cooler weather big guy.

No pics but sliced up the Yellow CARDI Jamie sent me and put it on a taco, I was cautious and could have put more on, but this was my first try. Was goooooddd!

Got a few Annuum's harvested yesterday:

313.jpg
314.jpg

These Cayenne's are a few days worth..

315.jpg

LB's Pineapple, don't know if it's going to make it. Otis freight-trained it this morning chasing a Squirrel and broke the trunk like 90% through. I staked it and moved it where he can't get near it.

316.jpg
317.jpg

LB's Esperanza's

3 hours of corn harvest, CARDI tacos, glad you didn’t post pics as I’m hungry thinking about it, hehe … and awesome harvest, man you’re living da life \o/ Sorry to read about the pineapple, if you see any color change cut the stalk and put it into large vase of good water till she turns yellow. I did this once with a softball sized one that didn’t make it to full size and she tasted awesome but be prepared, she’ll be a tease as you’ll quickly go thru one that small. Keep up dat awesome grow brethren and have a great week ^_^

PS I enjoyed seeing the great flower shots ...

Edit: Leave the pineapple plant in the ground and maybe you'll get some slips off her :)

Back