• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

Glad you like the Hab sauce Scott... you're sure getting a lotta mileage out of it! ;)  When you figure you have enough put away for the winter... try a fermented sauce. Like brother Bill says, it has a whole 'nother level of flavors. Just don't make the same mistake I did the first time, and once you've loaded the jar... leave the lid on until you're ready for the final processing. the carbon dioxide produced by the fermentation displaces the air in the jar, and reduces the amount of oxygen in with the mash. This is a good thing.  Each time you take off the lid outside of a space industry clean room you may let in something you don't want... (I got lucky, and the only thing I let in was Kahm yeast) and you let in oxygen. Just fill the jar about three quarters full to allow for mas expansion and crack the lid without removing it once or twice a day to bleed off excess pressure so the glass jar doesn't burst.

A funny story from my childhood... my Grandma used to make homemade rootbeer for us "grand-chilluns". There was a fair amount of sugar in there along with water and the rootbeer extract... and the baker's yeast that would ferment the sugar and gave it fizz. She'd make up a 5 gallon batch and put it  up in quart-sized mason jars and put them down in the cellar where it was cool. We'd have to drink it all within 3 days or the jars would start to explode...

Mmm that's some nice slabs you got there, Scott! Great pictures of the garden, your plants look really healthy! How did the sauce turned out, liked it?

Awesome looking sauce and ribs! That is a serious blender you got there! I had an old one that looked like that, and it was the best blender I ever owned until I dropped the top half (which is glass) and it shattered all over my kitchen floor.

Lookin great Scott!  The plants look great and ill send some vibes your way for cooler temps!  We got an amazing day today, about 70 degrees, sunny, and just beautiful.  It won't last, but its a shimmer. 

Those ribs look great!  We had ribs yesterday...but not like those!

WalkGood said:
Whoa awesome looking Hab sauce! Your sauce recipe is very similar to the last Hab hot sauce I made, I bet it’s awesome tasting … Great job!

Not sure how you can make those tasty looking ribs and leave some for work, they wouldn’t see a second day here, lol. Enjoy the food and have a great week!
Thanks Ramon!

I wanted to try the sauce without the vinegar for eggs, and chips and other uses. The vinegar based I use with meats.
The ribs on the left a buddy gave me to cook up so we can have them at lunch, we're having a rib making contest :party:
stickman said:
Glad you like the Hab sauce Scott... you're sure getting a lotta mileage out of it! ;)  When you figure you have enough put away for the winter... try a fermented sauce. Like brother Bill says, it has a whole 'nother level of flavors. Just don't make the same mistake I did the first time, and once you've loaded the jar... leave the lid on until you're ready for the final processing. the carbon dioxide produced by the fermentation displaces the air in the jar, and reduces the amount of oxygen in with the mash. This is a good thing.  Each time you take off the lid outside of a space industry clean room you may let in something you don't want... (I got lucky, and the only thing I let in was Kahm yeast) and you let in oxygen. Just fill the jar about three quarters full to allow for mas expansion and crack the lid without removing it once or twice a day to bleed off excess pressure so the glass jar doesn't burst.

A funny story from my childhood... my Grandma used to make homemade rootbeer for us "grand-chilluns". There was a fair amount of sugar in there along with water and the rootbeer extract... and the baker's yeast that would ferment the sugar and gave it fizz. She'd make up a 5 gallon batch and put it  up in quart-sized mason jars and put them down in the cellar where it was cool. We'd have to drink it all within 3 days or the jars would start to explode...
Thanks Rick! I love the recipe!

All told I've really only made one full batch as each one has been 1lb of Hab's each. That's about a weeks pull.
I going to try the fermenting, and I've read about the glass explosions....don't think LB would appreciate that happening! I'm counting my chickens before they hatch, but I'm expecting some fall production to work with...I still need to do more reading to satisfy my brain.

Like the rootbeer story, bet Grandma was happy when it didn't blow up!

meatfreak said:
Mmm that's some nice slabs you got there, Scott! Great pictures of the garden, your plants look really healthy! How did the sauce turned out, liked it?
Thanks Stefan!

The sauce turned out great! I like to leave it in the fridge a few days to marinate before freezing..

Stefan_W said:
Awesome looking sauce and ribs! That is a serious blender you got there! I had an old one that looked like that, and it was the best blender I ever owned until I dropped the top half (which is glass) and it shattered all over my kitchen floor.
 Thanks Stefan!

I added the extra garlic after reading how you make your sauce, I'm a garlic lover too!
That blender has some nuts for sure. LB and her friend were making tamales a few years ago and her friend was using the blender...it will hit the ceiling if you're not holding the lid firmly!
Been there done that with the dropping the blender jar, we were able to buy a replacement glass...that was the last Oster.

MGOLD86 said:
Lookin great Scott!  The plants look great and ill send some vibes your way for cooler temps!  We got an amazing day today, about 70 degrees, sunny, and just beautiful.  It won't last, but its a shimmer. 

Those ribs look great!  We had ribs yesterday...but not like those!
Thanks Matt!

Today was nice and cool compared to lately, rains in the forecast and it's 85, actually it's raining now and just dropped to 80. I just hope it's more than a few 10ths. But real soon we'll see some well deserved relief this way.
I cook those ribs 6 hours ay 225, first 3 hours with foil...good stuff!

'Yall have a great week!

Beautiful grow! Plants look every bit as lush as mine here in the rainforests of Appalachia. Those ribs and sauce don't look shabby neither. ;)

Glad to hear you found replacement glass for your blender. I was not able to because mine was too old and nothing quite worked.

JJJessee said:
Beautiful grow! Plants look every bit as lush as mine here in the rainforests of Appalachia. Those ribs and sauce don't look shabby neither. ;)
Thanks JJJ!

Ate the second rack at work today, the Hab sauce gave it nice kick, not too overpowering...

Stefan_W said:
Glad to hear you found replacement glass for your blender. I was not able to because mine was too old and nothing quite worked.
Yeah if it was old then it's not worth it, the one LB has just has two speeds...fast and overdrive :rolleyes:
Dot Com said:
plants are doing well, got the pepper plant guard dog (Otis ;) ) and ribs on the grill w/ the hab marinade/rub. Can life get any better?
Thanks David!

This is the best time of year, it's going to cool down and being outside will be much nicer in a few weeks.

Have a great week!

Nice racks you have there. Hahahaha. Good to see a second batch of funky reapers. They are good and I like the rush from them. Keep up the grow. !!

Thanks Denniz!

At least I have one super producing, first year and learning. Got to start the seeds in Oct. for a decent grow here in Tejas heat.

I've been eating both Reapers, not whole, just pieces, so I can taste them. They both taste the same (to me), except the true one is hotter, on the side of too hot to enjoy, but still doable in small amounts. It certainly can kick up a hot sauce for sure!

Thanks for stopping by!

Woohoo! Your plants are loading up! It won't be long now til your get that desired 80º temp.

That hab sauce looks good. I'm with you on starting seeds in October, I just started part of it a month ago :D. All I'm going to sow is peppers I like and a few that sound interesting.

What are you planning for next season. I hope to get more organized and start EARLY, and I bet we should get a decent harvest before the first heat wave and then wait til it cools down.

, Walter

Nice updates. Sauce,plants,ribs all look fantastic!

We have green and brown marmorated stink bugs,the brown are a destructive pest. Green ones are destructive also,but don't have the the numbers like the browns. Plant damage aside,they are menacing and get into houses and have a terrible musk smell when squashed. I notice them later in the season around here. Down where I work,it is like a horror movie!

Thanks Walter!

Yeah, this my first year, and knowing nothing about the Chinense, I expected them to behave like Annuum's...well that didn't happen. We're in week 6 of 100's and close to it. But I did notice the heat is hitting later in the day and not lasting as long so we're getting there..

As for next season....add more heavy soil, start using mulch, add to the shade cloth frame and buy more cloth. Gonna cost, but the last tractor payment is done after next month. So I can spare the coin. Also want to try drip irrigation again, I'm really getting worried about our well, we need some real rain! Gonna cut back on maters and corn and add, well guess what? Peppers, I haven't compiled a list yet, but I have a lot of new varieties (for me) and will plant them all! One thing I won't do as I did this year is plant 10 Habs, 12 Jals, 12 Pob's etc. I'm going to put in 2 of each type. Year two will still be a learning year, but hopefully better than number 1.

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice updates. Sauce,plants,ribs all look fantastic!

We have green and brown marmorated stink bugs,the brown are a destructive pest. Green ones are destructive also,but don't have the the numbers like the browns. Plant damage aside,they are menacing and get into houses and have a terrible musk smell when squashed. I notice them later in the season around here. Down where I work,it is like a horror movie!
 Thanks John!

I usually don't grow all summer like I have this year, but the hard headed in me wants to see the supers produce. A nice rain the second week of Sept. would get them flowering like crazy, and that's a normal thing around here...if the weather deals us normal. If not I'll punch them up with ferts and turn the wobblers on, but it has to cool down.

That's the first stink bug I've ever seen here, I guess I created an environment for them this year. I've heard people talk of them before.. I have another critter I need ID on, I can't see any damage I can pin on them but am curious. I need to get one on film and post it.

Thanks for stopping by!

I received this in the mail today from Annie!

717.jpg

I was expecting seeds not these beautiful pods...as best as I can ID them based on the sheet inside the box...

Top left moving right 3 Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend, 3 Giant Yellow Brains, here's where I get fuzzy...not sure if the remaining two are Giant Yellow 7's or Trinidad Perfumes

Middle row 1 Harold St. Barts, these two chocs, one's a Choc Hab, the other a JA Hot Choc, 2 Douglah, 3 inca Red Drop

Below Inca Red's either 2 Trinidad Perfumes or Giant Yellow 7's

Bottom: 2 Bonda Ma Jacques, 3 Yellow fatalii, either 2 Trinidad Perfumes or Giant Yellow 7's, The 6 on the right are Aji Limon and Yellow Bouquet.

AND on the far right some Peach Bhut seeds.

Any corrections would be greatly appreciated:)

I can't get over the generosity here on the THP.

Thanks again Annie!

I will put them to good use and save the seeds for the Oct. planting, gotta have bigger plants next year before they hit the dirt next season. And I have to add the pods in the top row are larger than a golf ball, so they really came out nice and healthy!

Looks like Annie did you right Scott... Good on both of ya! Glad to hear that while the overall temps haven't come down all that much, it IS starting to cool down a bit.

stickman said:
Looks like Annie did you right Scott... Good on both of ya! Glad to hear that while the overall temps haven't come down all that much, it IS starting to cool down a bit.
Oh she really did, not only do I get to sample some fantastic yellow pods, but I get the seeds too! The temps are forecast for 99-100 all this week but in reality we're seeing mid 90's.

So I decided to try the Yellow Fatalii first, something about it intrigued me.

719.jpg

718.jpg

When I cut it open I could smell the semi sweet fragrance, along with the capsicum overtones. I under estimated this baby, maybe because it was yellow.

I cut a pretty small piece to taste, maybe 3/4" long (of a half) and popped into my mouth. Chewed it completely to gather the taste, hard to describe because it was a new taste, floral notes, and while trying to get a handle on the taste the heat hit, time to swallow, don't like throat burn so I swallow quickly. I was impressed with the heat, it's been about 9 days since eating anything hot, went 2 days without and then caught a stomach bug. I started to hiccup, for about 2 minutes, the heat rose quickly and lasted a few minutes. It was a quick rise, peak and decent, but kinda scared me on the ramp up. Burn was mouth, tongue, and lips, lasted about 4 minutes. Now placing the taste, really hard to do. My guess or estimation|impression is it tasted a lot like the Scotch Bonnet, but much hotter.

Being I have so many and the shelf life won't be that long I'm going to make a yellow powder as I taste. I have the three in the dehydrator now, what a lovely fragrance throughout the house!

So...I say  beautiful pepper!

So I'm in uncharted territory tonight.

Rum drinks are flowing...

Tried a Inca Red

720.jpg

This one was kind of sweet, had the Annuum taste but was pleasant, no real burn, especially after eating the Fatalii. This is a good snack pepper, of course I need to eat another...

I next tried the Harold St. Barts:

721.jpg

Being I'm a chicken, I tried a taste from the bottom, kinda hab tasting. I moved up for a second taste near the placenta, bang! That's where it's at! Reminded me of a choc scorp and how it behaves. Nice heat and flavor definite yellow pepper taste. Once again I can't place the flavor, but it's good! The heat was all mouth burn, and lasted a while, but not a hammering heat. More than a Red Caribbean, but less than the Fatalii.

So I'm 3 for 3 keeper wise!

Nice package from Annie! And nice reviews too. I really like yellow pods but the fatalii i grew was the least favorite. The yel 7s and scorps i like much better. Could have been just the seeds i started, but it worked out that way for me. Made tasty powder though. Mixed with yel 7s and ghost and was delicious. I have a different fatalii going this season and haven't tried one yet. Almost turned off, but should give them a chance.
I pulled a few pods from the mystery plant that is a bonda. Looking forward to trying them. Cool Annie sent you one too!

Great looking pods from Annie! Nice reviews. I can't say I enjoy fatalii myself, but the majority of people agree with your description of how it tastes and what it does. 

Back