• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

BrooklynXpat said:
Very nice harvest Scott. Hoping you get some more rain, I have colleagues in Texas and they are also hoping for rain too.
Thanks Matt!

We got 3/10 of an inch, a couple (maybe 10) of 3" rains are needed, those don't even phase us out this way. we're really praying here for the dry cycle to turn around and fill the lakes and aquifers.

3/5King said:
Dude....you're garden is bitchin'..

My true reaper is a weak producer as well. It has three pods on it....

Love your setup Devv.
 Thanks King!

As you know lots of work goes into the preparation.

Yeah what is it with these Reapers? Shared one at work today, 4 of us tasted, the late arrival got the piece with a nice chunk of placenta...lit him up pretty good!

PIC 1 said:
Scott glad to see you're stiil picking peppers with the high temps down south.

"Bottle Up" some sauce is a great way to process the harvest......"Smoke'm If You Got'em"

Send some of dat rain my way...it's been too dry too long here
Thanks Greg!

It's amazing to me that the plants are still producing after 3 weeks of 100's.

Wish I had rain to share! I think the Philippines are hogging it all!

annie57 said:

Yep, Scott! This is just screaming "Smoked sauce! I wanna be smoked sauce next life!" Prepare, hon: when it cools down, you gonna be slammed! :party:
Thanks Annie!

I need to buckle down, I'm a little burned out, been gardening since March, and school is starting,

RocketMan said:
Been a while since I've looked in on ya Scott and things are looking really good. That's a killer pull you had there and I have to say that I agree with everyone else, smoke em and let the Sauce flow.
Thanks Bill!

I have a bunch of recipes to try!

Really glad you got that house Bro!

windchicken said:
Man, I sure like the way you do things, Scott! That's a really good-looking garden...

How's the weather been down there? We just had 10 days or so of niceness, but now it's back to the blast furnace.....
Thanks Gary!

I've put a lot of work into the soil, and it's been doing well. I just wish this area could catch up on the rains. I've been collecting mulch after reading the pdf linked on your site, hoping to ease the everyday watering woes...

After 3 weeks of 100 and more we have cooled down to mostly mid 90's, got a little rain yesterday and more is forecast, but just the popcorn showers. It won't be long now!

Tomorrows a well deserved Friday!
crazy days! I have the 4 G-kids coming Saturday but will have to get busy! I'm ready for the supers to slam though!

Hi Scott,
   Believe it or not... I'm down to 2 bottles of the red Habanero sauce, so I'm making another batch tonight. This time I cut up half of the pods and smoked them for a couple of hours with both Apple and Cherry wood before processing with the rest of the ingredients and cooking them down. The smell was good before with the first batch... now it's exceptional!

romy6 said:
 Looking really good Scotty. Heat , I don't see no effects of the stinking heat.  :rofl:

Keep it green my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fireball:  :fireball:  :fireball:
Thanks Jamie!

The plants are hanging, but poddage is way down....but temps are starting to drop...can't wait!

Jamison said:
Awesome harvests Scott! Pods and plants look stellar!!! Smoked powder is my absolute favorite thing to do with peppers.
Thank Jamison!

Smoked powder we have! I would like to get my hands on some other types of wood. Currently Mesquite and Hickory are all I can score locally. Would really like to try Apple and Cherry!

I have 6 of the 8 20gal gro bags filled, plants seem to approve.

Pics probably would be better in the early morning....but you know..

Moruga
692.jpg

Reaper
691.jpg

Primo
693.jpg

Red Bhut
694.jpg

JA hab, I think it's grown 6"s in two weeks since being potted up..
695.jpg

None of these have given me any pods yet...

Otis sucking up shade guarding the peps...
696.jpg

More pics in the Am!

Brethren what can I say that I haven’t said before … you mon are rocking da pepper world ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

That shot of Otis kicking back guarding the garden is great, the only thing he’s missing is a cap and a cold one but I’m sure daddy is sporting dem :D

WalkGood said:
Brethren what can I say that I haven’t said before … you mon are rocking da pepper world ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

That shot of Otis kicking back guarding the garden is great, the only thing he’s missing is a cap and a cold one but I’m sure daddy is sporting dem :D

+ 1 Ramon: ya plants, Scott, are getting TALL and primed for the next run!! I love your homemade grow bags!

Otis is a cutie trooper and doesn't look sad: "Dad done stole my cap, my shades, my women, and my iced corona. The lime, too. But the point of this pic is me.  :cool: (if I had shades)." ;)

What school, Scott? I hate to say the word. All classes am teaching are T/R so that would be this Tuesday :tear: :rofl: .

GA Growhead said:
The growbags look killer!
20 gal is a good size
Thanks Jay!

The price was right, came in at 4 bucks a bag..

WalkGood said:

Thanks Ramon!
Oh daddy had the cold one...almost time here!

annie57 said:

+ 1 Ramon: ya plants, Scott, are getting TALL and primed for the next run!! I love your homemade grow bags!

Otis is a cutie trooper and doesn't look sad: "Dad done stole my cap, my shades, my women, and my iced corona. The lime, too. But the point of this pic is me.  :cool: (if I had shades)." ;)

What school, Scott? I hate to say the word. All classes am teaching are T/R so that would be this Tuesday :tear: :rofl: .
Thanks Annie!

Yes Otis is a cool dog, so mellow. If he could talk he'd say "pet me...no me!"

I manage the IT dept. for a K-12 school district here in D-town. Teachers came back on Monday, kiddo's coming back this coming Monday. Over the summer the custodians clean up, and wax, we always have unplugged systems, wires crossed, you name it. Then there's musical teachers, and the usual 25% turnover. Makes for a busy time!

The dirt grow is still hanging...I'm ready for cooler weather, 80's would be nice!

Group shot:
699.jpg

I need to figure out what's going on with this Red Bhut, see the leaves curling?
709.jpg

It has just two pods...LOL
698.jpg

Hab's just keep on plugging along..
706.jpg

Thai is happy, this is a real late start
707.jpg

It won't be long before they ripen, round two for the Funky Reaper. It doesn't care about the heat and it's way loaded down!
700.jpg

The next Reaper in line has 7 or 8 pods on it. Some variation in the pods.
701.jpg

702.jpg

704.jpg

703.jpg

I have a few more if I could get a bump please.

I've seen those critters before in my garden, but I have no idea what they are or if they are helpful.

That is a fine looking weekend pull!

Stefan_W said:
I've seen those critters before in my garden, but I have no idea what they are or if they are helpful.

That is a fine looking weekend pull!
Thanks Stefan!

WalkGood said:
We call dem Stink bugs and they eat holes into your leaves. Awesome harvest brethren :)

link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_stink_bug

BTW I kill them when I see them, watch out for their shell, if you squish the wrong way in your hands the shell can poke you.
Thanks Ramon,

I didn't think it was a good guy, I was going to squish it but when I put the cam down and came back it was gone. Well they can't do any more damage than the grasshoppers!

Squish him when you see dem, they won't kill your plants but cause a lot of leaf damage and yea they're hard to see sometimes they blend in so well and they can fly away if your not quick.

WalkGood said:
Squish him when you see dem, they won't kill your plants but cause a lot of leaf damage and yea they're hard to see sometimes they blend in so well and they can fly away if your not quick.
Will do! think I'll bring gloves with me for now on!

Bodeen said:
Stink bug.  Run into a lot of them picking wild berries.  Guess how they got their name lol.

Nice pull.
Thanks Jeff!

Yeah first time seeing one of those, guess that's a good thing!

stickman said:
Nice pics of plants and pull Scott, it looks like you're poised on the leading edge of the second wave!
Thanks Rick!

I'm so ready for the supers to actually do something, next year they hit the dirt at 12"s high so they can set before the heat rolls in....we learn as we go:)

I pulled a pound of habs and decided to make a variation of Rick's super Hab sauce.

1lb of Habs...de-seeded
712.jpg

A whole head of garlic, 1 onion (med) .5lb carrots, 1.3 Celery stalk. Also added 1 24oz. can of whole tomatoes blended.
713.jpg

Added 1.2 tbsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp cummin. Cooked 45 minutes and cooled in ice water. Blended in LB's blender, it has a 396 under the hood!
714.jpg

Almost finished product, still needs the coconut milk
715.jpg

Tonight's dinner, the one on the left has been painted several times with Rick's super Hab sauce, it's to bring to work.
716.jpg

Have a great week!

Whoa awesome looking Hab sauce! Your sauce recipe is very similar to the last Hab hot sauce I made, I bet it’s awesome tasting … Great job!

Not sure how you can make those tasty looking ribs and leave some for work, they wouldn’t see a second day here, lol. Enjoy the food and have a great week!

Back