• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

diapers anyone?

The only problem I see with my own views on this, is that it would not be an "organic" approach? Thoughts?

Not filling land fills with diapers makes up for it. And also it doesn't kill microbial life and it isn't absorbed in to the plant. So think of it like a plastic pot. Also using less water is good.

Not trying to scare but it may worth noting. Found this on a baby safe site:

• Sodium Polyacrylate (the super-absorbent crystals that turn into a gel) is reported to cause severe skin irritations, allergic reactions, oozing blood from baby's privates, fever, vomiting and staph infections in babies. Children have died from ingesting as little as 5 grams of it. Sodium Polyacrylate was banned from tampons in 1985 because of its link to Toxic Shock Syndrome. If you find shiny crystals on your baby's bottom that's Sodium Polyacrylate.
  • Dioxin is a chemical bi-product of the paper-bleaching process for disposable diapers. This chemical, found in trace amounts in all bleached disposables, is a known carcinogenic. In fact, EPA lists it as the MOST TOXIC of all cancer-linked chemicals. Dioxin is banned in most developed countries, but not the United States.
  • Tributyl-tin (TBT), another chemical found in disposables, is a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals, even in the smallest concentrations. It is spread through the skin, which makes it particularly inappropriate for use in a diaper. May cause male sterility.

Not only are these chemicals a threat to your child, they also destroy the health of those who work in disposable diaper factories and poison the earth through the waste waters released from such factories.

Chemicals aren't the only concern. In May 2000, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published research showing that scrotal temperature is increased in boys wearing disposable diapers, and that prolonged use of disposable diapers is likely to cause sterility in some boys.

Obviously most studies are shown talking directly about skin contact. Could these be soaked through the plant? I imagine little to none can but just thought it would be interesting to dig into.

The only problem I see with my own views on this, is that it would not be an "organic" approach? Thoughts?

Being organic is good but my main concern is minimize investment - and after all I am using something that would otherwise end up in a landfill...

Are solo cups organic? Lighting systems? Heat mats? Wally bags?

Cheers Al

Not trying to scare but it may worth noting. Found this on a baby safe site:

• Sodium Polyacrylate (the super-absorbent crystals that turn into a gel) is reported to cause severe skin irritations, allergic reactions, oozing blood from baby's privates, fever, vomiting and staph infections in babies. Children have died from ingesting as little as 5 grams of it. Sodium Polyacrylate was banned from tampons in 1985 because of its link to Toxic Shock Syndrome. If you find shiny crystals on your baby's bottom that's Sodium Polyacrylate.
  • Dioxin is a chemical bi-product of the paper-bleaching process for disposable diapers. This chemical, found in trace amounts in all bleached disposables, is a known carcinogenic. In fact, EPA lists it as the MOST TOXIC of all cancer-linked chemicals. Dioxin is banned in most developed countries, but not the United States.
  • Tributyl-tin (TBT), another chemical found in disposables, is a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals, even in the smallest concentrations. It is spread through the skin, which makes it particularly inappropriate for use in a diaper. May cause male sterility.

Not only are these chemicals a threat to your child, they also destroy the health of those who work in disposable diaper factories and poison the earth through the waste waters released from such factories.

Chemicals aren't the only concern. In May 2000, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published research showing that scrotal temperature is increased in boys wearing disposable diapers, and that prolonged use of disposable diapers is likely to cause sterility in some boys.
Obviously most studies are shown talking directly about skin contact. Could these be soaked through the plant? I imagine little to none can but just thought it would be interesting to dig into.

Most of the issues are not chemical related until you get to Dioxin. It is trace amounts. If the EPA says they are OK for NEW BORNEs... I don't think its going to cause any issues. Can you imagine if the political shit storm if babies started getting cancer from diapers?

I live in California, the most liberal place on earth. Prop 65 requires carcinogens to be labeled, and diapers are not.

Being organic is good but my main concern is minimize investment - and after all I am using something that would otherwise end up in a landfill...

Are solo cups organic? Lighting systems? Heat mats? Wally bags?

Cheers Al

I was mainly talking about intake from the soil. Are your peppers taking any of the above listed in? Probably not, but they are chemicals nonetheless. I can think of many other things that go in our landfills that aren't safe but just thought it would make for an interesting conversation ;)

Most of the issues are not chemical related until you get to Dioxin. It is trace amounts. If the EPA says they are OK for NEW BORNEs... I don't think its going to cause any issues. Can you imagine if the political shit storm if babies started getting cancer from diapers?

I live in California, the most liberal place on earth. Prop 65 requires carcinogens to be labeled, and diapers are not.

So because the government says it's safe then it is? I think the EPA does a fine job. FDA on the other hand is a joke. Not to go political, but our government says many things are "safe" that could be very controversial.

There is a reason for a rise in the cloth diaper business again. Maybe more hype and propaganda but there is.

Lol, I understand the need to be cautious. but I think If diapers where that toxic we would know. The amount of regulation on baby products is crazy, and for good reason.

Look in to PVC and you will feel the same way with plastic.

My dog has eaten his share of diapers that he fished out of the trash. It makes for some very strange looking piles in the back yard. He is as healthy as a dog can be. I am as worried about hydrogel from diapers as I am plastic pots.

Lol, I understand the need to be cautious. but I think If diapers where that toxic we would know. The amount of regulation on baby products is crazy, and for good reason.

Look in to PVC and you will feel the same way with plastic.

My dog has eaten his share of diapers that he fished out of the trash. It makes for some very strange looking piles in the back yard. He is as healthy as a dog can be. I am as worried about hydrogel from diapers as I am plastic pots.

Man that's no lie. I have, and yes, it scares me too. Many cancer related studies show the connection between some plastics and cancer.

I'm not really saying I wouldn't do the diaper thing. I just thought it would be an interesting subject to bring up to hear other member's thoughts.

Dog's are a mystery to me. Anything that can lick their own @ss and stay healthy is beyond me lol.

Interesting read guys. I haven't bothered to look at the ingredients but this sounds basically like what MG moisture control does. Isn't it?

FYI these crystals are pretty cheap if you don't have small kids..

Amazon, free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=water%20polymer%20crystal&linkCode=ur2&tag=dolla-20&url=search-alias%3Daps

ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-lbs-Large-Water-Absorbing-Polymer-Crystals-Soil-Moist-Cricket-Made-in-USA-/280862657308?pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item4164b80b1c
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=water+absorbing+polymer+crystals&_frs=1

if you live outside of the USofA, things get expensive (and sloooow) pretty fast... customs will take care of that ... hehehe

again, I do have kids - so its basically "sunk cost" for me ...

of course, if you dont have kids, buying diapers would be a last-resort move, but then again for me in S.America probably still cheaper than bringing in the crystals;-)

cheers
al

I'm actually in Iceland, so I know steep shipping costs very well :) Just thought I'd point this out as an alternative. I'm pretty sure the crystals are much less expensive per lb than diapers, even with transcontinental shipping :)

anyone had a successful germination using this diaper method yet?

I wanted to do this, but I am in no condition to keep a diaper around 85º - heatmats are unheard of here ... (unless I strap it around my little girls ass ;-) ... but Ms. 51% would disapprove :shh:

so I do have that a bit on standby ...

on the other hand, I do have some "disposable" (=my heart is not hanging on them) seeds, so I might eventually put them on a warmish place ...

my guess is to use some of the hydrogel in a small container (yoghurt?) - as they are so much easier to handle that a full-blown diaper

cheers
al

So if you use the crystals, what size is best for container plants? I've seen S, M, and L sizes and the S and M seem to be the most useful for small containers. As the full crystals shrink down as they lose water, they will leave a space in the soil and that's probably bad if the hole is too big, right? So smaller crystals = smaller holes = better? Sorry to the OP for taking it off the diaper thing!

:rolleyes: I have been lurking and watching this thread... very very interesting and I am anxious to know how it does actually growing stuff with that in the mix. Please keep us posted here :confused:

ok, here's what I did:

I put a yoghurt container, filled it with virgin-diaper-magic-dust and plunged some 13 seeds in it - and yes, its busier in there than in the NY-Subway ;-)

5 royal blacks

D75E7767-orig_zps262c914f.jpg

3 fataliis

B0438FCE-orig_zps9ff62436.jpg

and some 5 rocotos

4E55C0F6-orig_zps59692b15.jpg

The good news is - you can see clearly what is going on in there ... any root sprouting - you will know it before Joan Rivers.

Also, I am pretty sure that you can fish out any seed with its root sproutingn without molesting the tender root (with less of a fumble than the kitchen towel)

I just did mist the surface a little ... but I guess thats not even needed for the first week or so ... I just used some H2O2 to get rid of eventual nasties.

I hope to see something in 10 or so days

so ... welcome to the waiting game ;-) ... and stay tuned

any thoughts?
cheers
al

You beat me to it! I wanted to try this as well. Maybe I will give this a shot my self and join the experiment if you don't mind me jumping in and taking some of your thunder.

One cool thing about this stuff is, you can "reanimate" it by adding water. Meaning it turns liquid if you add enough water, freeing up any roots. ;)

Back