• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Did this cross?

chillilover said:
Is that paint can your growing it in?

Actually yes it is growing in a paint can. It was an empty one that never had any paint in it. It seemed about the size I wanted to use. I just drilled some holes in the bottom.

I have some pure seeds still from last year. I was hoping it was a cross. It probably isn't. The leaves looked slightly different from what I remembered from last year but not much and it has a lot more pollen than I remember having on my bhut last year. But right now I don't have a for sure bhut to compare it to. I'll be 95% sure when the pods get a little bit bigger.

I'll try to make one if it doesn't end up being a cross. This time the annuum will be the mother plant. It is so much easier for me to spot chinense traits than annuum ones.

Here are some new pics of fruit. All of the other ones look like they have the elongated shape. Bhuts seems to vary so much in pod shape. I'm going to guess it didn't cross.

DSCN0103.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

I cut off one of the unripe peppers to see what it was like. I've never tried an unripe bhut before. Just ripe ones. I remember last year the bhuts started light green then eventually turned dark green then a redish orange then red. This was still light green. It has the same smell to it. It was already very very hot.

DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0146.jpg

Here are some new pics.

This was the first ripe one
DSCN0234.jpg

and the inside of that one
DSCN0238.jpg

This is the second set of ripe ones
DSCN0274.jpg

and here is the 3rd set of ripe ones
DSCN0283.jpg

Here is a pic of the unripe one i posted earlier.
DSCN0135.jpg

Those are all of the fruits so far

They seem to vary a lot in shape between pods. They all are wrinkly, red, super hot, and have a lot of placenta in them.

These are either pure bhut jolokia or a mix with one of the others next to the parent. The ones next to it were a red savina habanero, a 50% hab/50% jalapeno F2, and a some annuums.

Back