• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Doc,

You are so right, the amount of information here is amazing. And, everyone is so willing to jump in and offer good solid, sound advise. I'm new here and already have learned so much. My thing I try and avoid is to stop wanting to water and fertilize, they will grow, but not if you stare at them...LOL

Once again a great grow,

Scott

Having fresh one with dinner . . . mmm. Beautiful grow, Doc, what kind of white bags you using? Any special requirements for watering, etc? Are they dirt bags . . . I probably missed it in your glog. Thinking of alts to n-pots this year! (I rarely do containers for anything other than cilantro. GORGEOUS work! And yeah, you been talking/sharing with Kevin/Wayright on "plant juice" ;)? Joke: I know Kev gives few of his steroid secrets away :rolleyes: Peace, stunning plants! Annie
Hi Annie! Thanks for checking out my humble grow, and thank you for the complements. The white bags are generic grow bags, purchased at Discount Hydroponics ( http://www.discount-hydro.com/grow-bags/). They are very inexpensive and make up-potting easy. Our summers are usually in the triple digits for all three months, so I thought the white outisde might help keep the roots a bit cooler. I water the plants in them just as I would in any pot. I'm using Sunshine Mix #1 (http://www.discount-hydro.com/products/Sunshine-Mix.html). Regarding Wayright's "juice," I heard here and there he uses auxins or something like that, but I've not gotten any secrets from him, nor have I been using any plant hormones. Peace back!
Beautiful pics Doc. Im sure that seedling will come around. I have a few like that also and my orange scorpion is so yellow its almost translucent but its putting out new growth like crazy. What is that about?!??!?! Keep up the great work and Yup Jamison and Shane are two hellava guys.
Thanks, Pia! Did you see the pic I snapped especially for you on page 33, post 657? ;) That is really weird about the Orange Scorpion. But hey, as long as it's growing, right? Thanks for stopping in!
Looking awesome. But why can't Jimmy get any love here lol
Thanks, Jeff. Once yours get in the ground they are going to leave my container grow in the dust! But that's OK. If even a quarter of the number of buds I see when I look over my entire grow become ripe pods, I'm going to be buried in peppers! Jimmy is just not photogenic yet, but he's getting there.
Doc,

You are so right, the amount of information here is amazing. And, everyone is so willing to jump in and offer good solid, sound advise. I'm new here and already have learned so much. My thing I try and avoid is to stop wanting to water and fertilize, they will grow, but not if you stare at them...LOL

Once again a great grow,

Scott
Thanks for stopping in, Scott! I've said it before, and I will say it again. If it wasn't for this site, or more specifically the people on this site, I'd still have no clue how to grow a plant. I read, learned, and applied so much last year to my initial growing attempt. Specifically, I managed to kill quite a few innocent, helpless chile plants (probably by overwatering and overfertilizing ;) ) but kept a mental note of what I did to the plants that died and what I did (or didn't) do to the ones that lived. In the end, I think I figured out what they like, and I'm learning how to read them to figure out if they need something I'm not providing. One benefit to having so many plants is that it is just too much work to do more than the bare minimum. And I think that is what they like: the bare minimum. They may not grow if you stare at them, but pods miraculously appear when you stare at them. Oh wait, that's just finding a pod that you missed the first time you looked. Thanks!
Great news that the Gochus are nearly there for ripeness. Hope you like them as much as I do. Keep the pics rolling!
Thanks Rick! I'm really looking forward to trying them. I liked the powder, so I'm sure the fresh chiles will be the shiznit. Your grow is coming along great! If your plants were any bigger they would be taking over your house! Pretty sure they are going to be ready to literally hit the ground running once your final frost of the year is behind you. I'll keep the pics rolling. Once I start taking them I have a hard time stopping. The rate-limiting step is the upload to Photobucket. Exciting times ahead for both of us, my friend!

[sub][sub]Very nice! Good luck with your 2013 season.[/sub][/sub]
Thanks for stopping in, Buddy! Appreciate the good will!
What size of these, Doc? Or how many gallons? Thanks!
When the plants got beyond the "solo cup stage," they went into 2 gallon bags. Once they outgrow those, then they get up-potted into the 5 gallon ones. Hope that helps!
Nice looking pods! That primo sure does look gnarly already, even at such a young age. Watch out for that one.
Thanks, Stefan! Yeah, that Primo scares me. ;) I promise I will not do like Shane and make Primo poppers! Wow, the thought of that gives me gas cramps! Of course I will sample a sliver of all the pods I grow, Primo and other supers included. But for the most part, the supers will be used to make powders.

I'm right with you guys :)
Powders, flakes, and fresh stuff into sauces, salsas, etc.... no whole superhots to be eaten here. I am not into suffering...lol

Plus, a little (very little) of that powder, mixed into some fresh aloe vera, makes an awesome salve to apply to sore muscles :)
Soaks in and burns the pain away :)

And the powder can make a good varmint repellant too ;)

Wise move. I find the powders don't have the "teeth" that you get with fresh pods.

Primo poppers. Now I'm going to have nightmares.
I agree completely, Stefan. Just a nice slow burn with the powders. And I'm pretty sure Shane had nightmares after that one. He said he gave some to a couple of friends -- they're still not talking to him. Hahaha!
Even a sliver is painful for me.
Agreed, but nowhere near as painful as a whole pod!
Why kill yourself eating a whole pod, a sliver first and more to follow if it's tasty, hehehe
Exactly!
Sauces, powders, trying to build up a tolerance for eating them. Also hope to set up an extraction capability to purify cap for non-culinary applications.
What non-culinary applications? Pepper spray seems too obvious.
I intend to do the same, I just have to know how they taste. Once I find what I like I'll continue to grow it, and of course experiment with varieties new to me. And I've seen so many new ones (for me) here.
Bingo! This year I will find out what I really like and most importantly, what grows well and is productive in my location. Next year I'll scale back on the number of varieties and have more than one plant of the each variety I grow.
I'm right with you guys :)
Powders, flakes, and fresh stuff into sauces, salsas, etc.... no whole superhots to be eaten here. I am not into suffering...lol

Plus, a little (very little) of that powder, mixed into some fresh aloe vera, makes an awesome salve to apply to sore muscles :)
Soaks in and burns the pain away :)

And the powder can make a good varmint repellant too ;)
Chiles are quite versatile, aren't they? ;)

Off work this week. Scheduled the time off to go to a professional meeting but opted against it. Spent all day yesterday cleaning up the spaces where the plants sit. Went to Discount Hydro and bought more bags of potting mix. Today and tomorrow will be up-potting. I have 47 to do. I hope I can get them all done.

I've been using Sunshine Mix #1 in the bails. The last time I broke up a bail I swore I was just going to get the bags of loose fill from then on. I still have one bail left over that I will break up. By calculation, I needed eight 2.8 cubic foot bags of loose fill. Unfortunately, they only had three, and no one else around here sells them. What they did have a load of was 2 cubic foot bags of Sunshine Mix #4 with Mycorrhizae. So, I took the three bags of #1 and seven bags of the #4 with Myco. I'll break up the bail of #1 I have and mix it with the other ten bags of loose fill so everyone gets some Myco and a roughly 1:1 ratio of #1 and #4. For those not familiar with Sunshine Mix, the #1 is a general, all purpose potting mix and the #4 is similar but more fine and rapid draining. While that should be good for chiles, I wanted some water retention given our 100+ degree summers. I think the 50-50 mix will be just fine. We'll see.

Anyway, pics to follow once the job is done! Hope everyone is having a great week!

Agreed, but nowhere near as painful as a whole pod!
No doubt! I'm slowly building up a tolerance and will certainly be trying slivers, but I expect to suffer.
What non-culinary applications? Pepper spray seems too obvious.
Obvious, but practical. Also pain treatment preparations such as Chris mentioned. Animal/insect repellents. Also want to explore its anti-viral/bacterial/fungal properties.
I've been using Sunshine Mix #1 in the bails. The last time I broke up a bail I swore I was just going to get the bags of loose fill from then on. I still have one bail left over that I will break up. By calculation, I needed eight 2.8 cubic foot bags of loose fill. Unfortunately, they only had three, and no one else around here sells them. What they did have a load of was 2 cubic foot bags of Sunshine Mix #4 with Mycorrhizae. So, I took the three bags of #1 and seven bags of the #4 with Myco. I'll break up the bail of #1 I have and mix it with the other ten bags of loose fill so everyone gets some Myco and a roughly 1:1 ratio of #1 and #4. For those not familiar with Sunshine Mix, the #1 is a general, all purpose potting mix and the #4 is similar but more fine and rapid draining. While that should be good for chiles, I wanted some water retention given our 100+ degree summers. I think the 50-50 mix will be just fine. We'll see.
I use Sunshine Mix #1 in 3.8 cu.ft. bales. I've found soaking ahead of time really helps with breaking up the bales. I'll be mixing some of it with pine bark mulch this year for use in tree pots. I lost some trees last year due to inadequate drainage in the pots and the pine bark should improve that situation.

… Plus, a little (very little) of that powder, mixed into some fresh aloe vera, makes an awesome salve to apply to sore muscles :) Soaks in and burns the pain away :)

… What non-culinary applications? Pepper spray seems too obvious. …

… Obvious, but practical. Also pain treatment preparations such as Chris mentioned. Animal/insect repellents. Also want to explore its anti-viral/bacterial/fungal properties. …

I’m sure you’ve heard of Capzasin HP for arthritic pain which sports 0.1% of capsaicin. The stuff works well but it’s expensive IMHO ($14.00 for 1.5oz). Let me know if you figure something out differnt, for now I’ll be trying out Chris’s idea the next time I need some pain relief ^_^

I’m sure you’ve heard of Capzasin HP for arthritic pain which sports 0.1% of capsaicin. The stuff works well but it’s expensive IMHO ($14.00 for 1.5oz). Let me know if you figure something out differnt, for now I’ll be trying out Chris’s idea the next time I need some pain relief ^_^

Yeah, I think there's no good reason for it to be that expensive. It does help to use a 2-step approach, starting with a topical anesthetic cream, then follow up with the capsaicin. This is nothing new either; a successful venture would hinge as much on marketing as formulation.

I use Sunshine Mix #1 in 3.8 cu.ft. bales. I've found soaking ahead of time really helps with breaking up the bales. I'll be mixing some of it with pine bark mulch this year for use in tree pots. I lost some trees last year due to inadequate drainage in the pots and the pine bark should improve that situation.

I haven't found breaking up the bails to be physically difficult, just time consuming. It takes me about an hour to break up a bail into loose fluffy mix. I'm surprised you had issues with drainage using the #1. While the #4 is their "rapid draining" mix, I've found the #1 to drain much better than any other potting mix I've tried from places like Home Depot.

Yeah, I think there's no good reason for it to be that expensive. It does help to use a 2-step approach, starting with a topical anesthetic cream, then follow up with the capsaicin. This is nothing new either; a successful venture would hinge as much on marketing as formulation.
+1 to both posts!
Great photos. I guess living in Cali has a few good things going for it like the weather.
Thanks Capehog! I was born and raised in So Cal. Tried living in other parts of the country and always came back here. When you grow up in this climate, it becomes a part of you, I guess. I just wish our legislature would learn how to run a state in a fiscally responsible manner. But that is a whole different topic.

Back