• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's First Grow Log -- 2013 Grow Has Begun!

Hi all. I've learned so much from reading the Glogs of others that I've decided to put mine out there. Hopefully someone can say, "Hey, you're doing it wrong!" before its too late.

I got seeds from Refining Fire Chiles. The seeds were for Butch T, Bhuts, and Douglah. I soaked them overnight in water that I had boiled then cooled to room temp. All the seeds sank to the bottom, which I've read is a good thing. (?) Anyway, I got one of those 72 cell Jiffy Mini-Greenhouses with heater pad to germinate these. I didn't use the peat pellets. The germinating instructions that came with the seeds said not to use peat pots because of their acidity. I didn't know if this applied to the pellets or not, so I filled the tray with Organic Seed Starter Jiffy Mix. I sterilized it first by running boiling water through it in a sieve. I've since seen a number of posts on here using the peat pellets, so note to self they work.

Moving along, I've been watering (but not too much) with a misting bottle filled with boiled water that has 1/4 cup 3% H2O2 and 1 cup brewed chamomille tea in a total of one quart.

Here is my germination setup:

jifftray.jpg

After four days, Hello little guy! Baby Butch T.

sprout.jpg

Thanks, but no worries, bro. Was hoping to have two in case one croaked, but guess what? One croaked! So it goes. Now I have one. At least it looks really healthy and is starting to get its first true leaves.

I had emailed Jim at Refining Fire Chilis from whom I had bought the seeds. When I told him about the germination rate, he offered to send a few more seeds. Waiting on those now. I may not need them, but if this plant dies, then at least I can try to sprout at least one more.
That sucks about the douglah, but atleast you have a back up that is doing well one is better than none. With the high temps you been having you should try sprouting your seeds outside to help remove the need to harden them off. The good thing is you got more seeds.

That sucks about the douglah, but atleast you have a back up that is doing well one is better than none. With the high temps you been having you should try sprouting your seeds outside to help remove the need to harden them off. The good thing is you got more seeds.

Thanks, man. Not a *true* problem, though. Actually, it was the "back-up" one that died. The healthier of the two is nice and stout. Its just sprouting its first true leaves. When my replacement seeds arrive, I may try to sprout a few more just in case.

Good thought about the outdoor sprouting. I actually have a cup with moist sprouting mix holding 5 barrackpore seeds on a shaded area on my patio. If they germinate, then I'll move the rest of my current sprouting attempt outside.

It is good that he offered more seeds. He must be one of the good vendors

Sorry I missed this post. I believe he is.

When I do the next update I will make sure. Keep up the awesome work with your peppers.

Thanks for all your help!

Saturday update:

One of my Butch T sprouts. Most of my sprouts look similar to this, but this one is probably the most advanced in growth:

butchleaves-1.jpg

One of two Douglah's to sprout and the only one still alive:

douggie.jpg

So far, I'm pretty happy these have survived. In all, I have 24 sprouts. As late as it is, they may need to be overwintered. So, I broke down and ordered some plants today. All the pod pictures really have me wanting some out of my own yard.

Today I ordered the following plants: Black Naga, Douglah, Fatalii, Yucutan White Habanero and Black Habanero. And just for the novelty aspect, I ordered a Peter Pepper plant. :party: Refining Fire Chilis is only a 1 1/2 hour drive from me, so hopefully they will be here early this week.

Currently in the mini-greenhouse, I have Barrackpore, Primo, Johah, and Impact (F1). First Barrackpore hook was born this morning!

bphook.jpg

Also, a couple of members are hooking me up with some cool seeds. I'll post more about that when they arrive and are in the mini-greenhouse.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for taking a look!

Brent

You should definitely start planning all of the wonderful things you are going to do with the peppers for when you start taking in hauls in a few weeks! They are looking great.

I was going to wait until Saturday for another update, but I've seen so much growth in the last four days I thought I'd do a hump-day update.

Moruga getting its second set of true leaves:

moruga2leaves.jpg

Same with another Moruga:

2ndmor2leaves.jpg

Bhuts:

bhuts2leaves.jpg

There was only one Barrackpore on Saturday. Seeds were from rainbowchilipepers.com. This is one of three cups. One cup is lagging but two of the three look like this:

bp6.jpg

According USPS tracking, my six plants should arrive today. Apparently the Black Hab plant didn't look so hot, so they replaced it with an Aji Panca. Apparently the heat (or lack thereof) and taste are similar.

Also, Orozconleche was looking for some Primo seeds. I had a few left from my purchase that I sent him. In return he sent me a few different varieties: Chinese 5-color, Marble, Bird's Eye, Datil, and Aji Dulce. Thanks, man! I have some of each soaking right now.

After looking at all the awesome pods everyone's plants are pumping out, I realized that no matter how quickly my sprouts grow, its gonna be months before I have my own harvest. So I broke down and bought six plants from Refining Fire Chiles. They came already flowering...and one is already loaded with small pods.

Black Habanero:

blackhab.jpg

Black Naga:

blacknaga.jpg

Douglah:

douglahplant.jpg

Fatalii:

fatalii.jpg

Yucutan White Hab (pods!):

whitehab.jpg

And a Peter Pepper:

peter.jpg

Also, I picked up one of those Bonnie "World's Hottest Habanero" plants that others on the board have gotten that look far more like a fatalii or a yellow bhut. Hopefully I will be as lucky. Worst case scenario: it grows orange habs.

whhab.jpg

That is all for now!

Seedlings and package look amazing you might scratch or loosen the roots I would recommend some mycorrhiza for the roots so that they can explode once they are tranplanted. Are they going in ground or containers? If you decide on container you might want to do 5 gallon since we normally only have 2 months hopefully 3 before the night temps get low and slow the growth process. It also depends on what type of container your going to use if you go that route. I need to look into that black hab if their is any difference between that and all the chocolate habs. You might want to thin out your seedling before the roots get more tangled.

Seedlings and package look amazing you might scratch or loosen the roots I would recommend some mycorrhiza for the roots so that they can explode once they are tranplanted. Are they going in ground or containers? If you decide on container you might want to do 5 gallon since we normally only have 2 months hopefully 3 before the night temps get low and slow the growth process. It also depends on what type of container your going to use if you go that route. I need to look into that black hab if their is any difference between that and all the chocolate habs. You might want to thin out your seedling before the roots get more tangled.

Thanks Fernando. I will look into the mycorrhiza. I read something about that somewhere on this board. These will be going into containers. I will probably wait until I can at least see roots through the clear cups they are in.

Regarding the Barrackpore seedlings, yes, they are going to be thinned this weekend. There is one cup that has a bunch of Brains coming up together. I have a number of cups with single seedlings of these, so I was thinking of seeing what happens just by letting multiple plants grow as one. By the way, you had suggested trying outdoor germination. I had already put out one cup with seeds outdoor and another indoor at the same time. Sprout time and germination rates were about identical.

According to the place I got the plants, there seems to be a difference between the black and chocolate habs. Here are the links for each:

Choc: http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Chocolate-Habanero-Plants-399-P1207615.aspx

Black: http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Black-Habanero-Pepper-Plants-399-P1960086.aspx

Question for you: Someone suggested that when I plant the new plants into larger containers that I should trim off all the flowers to stimulate growth, and that many new flowers would follow. Would you agree with that?

Thanks for your help.

Hey Brent you might want to move those plants now if you can before they become rootbound and it will slow down you growth process. Yea you should trim off all the fruit and flowers, so it could get easy adjusted to its new environment. Yea I was reading them looks and sounds intresting, but once you get some fruit let me know how it taste because I not one to believe what a company says especially when it comes to selling promoting their own products. Have you decided on what your going to use to feed you plants.

Hey Brent you might want to move those plants now if you can before they become rootbound and it will slow down you growth process. Yea you should trim off all the fruit and flowers, so it could get easy adjusted to its new environment. Yea I was reading them looks and sounds intresting, but once you get some fruit let me know how it taste because I not one to believe what a company says especially when it comes to selling promoting their own products. Have you decided on what your going to use to feed you plants.

Sending you a PM.

I agree with the point about trimming off the pods and flowers when you replant. The key to getting them off to a good start outdoors is root growth. Having said that, I have trimmed some year and not others and to be honest I don't notice a huge difference. The deciding factor for me was that I can take all the little peppers and make up some nachos as a reward after working hard at all of that replanting.

Saturday update:

Did some transplanting last evening. The new arrivals in 3.7 gallon pots:

transplant1.jpg

Chose 10 sprouts to grow further:

transplant2.jpg

Sprouts are well on their way to 2nd true leaves:

butch2nd.jpg

bhut2nd.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend.

Brent nice job on the transplanting make sure to keep the little ones in the shade for atleast another week or two. The 3.7 gallons will be a perfect size for the short season hopefully you get some harvest before the end of the season.

Back