• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's First Grow Log -- 2013 Grow Has Begun!

Hi all. I've learned so much from reading the Glogs of others that I've decided to put mine out there. Hopefully someone can say, "Hey, you're doing it wrong!" before its too late.

I got seeds from Refining Fire Chiles. The seeds were for Butch T, Bhuts, and Douglah. I soaked them overnight in water that I had boiled then cooled to room temp. All the seeds sank to the bottom, which I've read is a good thing. (?) Anyway, I got one of those 72 cell Jiffy Mini-Greenhouses with heater pad to germinate these. I didn't use the peat pellets. The germinating instructions that came with the seeds said not to use peat pots because of their acidity. I didn't know if this applied to the pellets or not, so I filled the tray with Organic Seed Starter Jiffy Mix. I sterilized it first by running boiling water through it in a sieve. I've since seen a number of posts on here using the peat pellets, so note to self they work.

Moving along, I've been watering (but not too much) with a misting bottle filled with boiled water that has 1/4 cup 3% H2O2 and 1 cup brewed chamomille tea in a total of one quart.

Here is my germination setup:

jifftray.jpg

After four days, Hello little guy! Baby Butch T.

sprout.jpg

I agree with the point about trimming off the pods and flowers when you replant. The key to getting them off to a good start outdoors is root growth. Having said that, I have trimmed some year and not others and to be honest I don't notice a huge difference. The deciding factor for me was that I can take all the little peppers and make up some nachos as a reward after working hard at all of that replanting.

Thanks, Stefan. Cut all the flowers off today. Man, that was hard to do. Was thinking each flower was a potential pod. Well, hopefully the plants will grow more and more flowers will form...followed by peppers!

Brent nice job on the transplanting make sure to keep the little ones in the shade for atleast another week or two. The 3.7 gallons will be a perfect size for the short season hopefully you get some harvest before the end of the season.

Fernando, thanks for all your tips as I go along. The little ones and the big ones are in the shade for the majority of the day. They get about 2 hours of sun in the morning and 1 hour before evening. I can move them closer to the edge of the patio for more sun when they are ready. Hoping for a harvest, myself. :)

It should take off now.

Thanks for stopping in. I'm hoping so!

And I have a "special" child. He only developed one leaf in what was supposed to be the first pair of leaves:

mutant.jpg

I had a hard time cutting the few flowers off of my plants also. A bit worried because of the short growing season here.

I had a hard time cutting the few flowers off of my plants also. A bit worried because of the short growing season here.

Was tough to do, but if the plants are to grow, they can't be "wasting" energy on flower and pod production right now...hopefully they will figure it out later!

Hey, Doc. Finally got a chance to check out your grow. It is developing
really nicely, and you are off to a great start. The seedlings look healthy
and happy, so you are doing something right!

I don't remember seeing anyone else mention this, but in the future,
if you have helmet heads (seed husks on the cotys) and they don't
come off after a couple of days, you can carefully trim them with a
nail clipper. It's a drastic move, and I think I was successful about
half the time, but that's better than watching them die!

As for pinching the flowers, sometimes it just gets to be too much of
a chore, so I just let them go if there are a lot.

You know, in the end, these are just vegetables, albeit very interesting
ones, so you just need to do what is comfortable and works for you,
and enjoy your new hobby! Your technique and methods will evolve
to suit your own situation! Fernando is a great resource and a good
dude, for sure!

Anyway, bro, you are headed in the right direction for sure. Have fun
watching over your babies!

Hey, Doc. Finally got a chance to check out your grow. It is developing
really nicely, and you are off to a great start. The seedlings look healthy
and happy, so you are doing something right!

I don't remember seeing anyone else mention this, but in the future,
if you have helmet heads (seed husks on the cotys) and they don't
come off after a couple of days, you can carefully trim them with a
nail clipper. It's a drastic move, and I think I was successful about
half the time, but that's better than watching them die!

As for pinching the flowers, sometimes it just gets to be too much of
a chore, so I just let them go if there are a lot.

You know, in the end, these are just vegetables, albeit very interesting
ones, so you just need to do what is comfortable and works for you,
and enjoy your new hobby! Your technique and methods will evolve
to suit your own situation! Fernando is a great resource and a good
dude, for sure!

Anyway, bro, you are headed in the right direction for sure. Have fun
watching over your babies!

Thanks for stopping in, Paul. Appreciate the words of encouragement.

Brent

Absolutely, Stefan. BTW, great pics in your Glog.

I had my plants that I recently purchased take a bit of a South turn on me. The leaves on three of them were getting a bit brittle, but still green, but curled. Transplant shock? Possibly. I know it wasn't overwatering because the soil felt 2" deep like brand new soil feels, damp but not wet. Anyway, directed a finger towards the root ball...dry. Put a couple of cups of water directly where the stem exited the soil and BAM, the plants looked and felt 80% better only one hour later. Sweet, crisis averted.

Grow list has expanded in an unplanned manner. I still have the sprouts I planted: Butch T (2), Douglah (1), Brain (3), Possible Moruga (2), and Bhut (2). Most are starting their third set of true leaves. In 1/2 gallon pots so they might pod sooner. Bought some plants: Black Hab, Black Naga, Yucutan White Hab, Peter, Douglah (just in case), and Fatalii. Also have the Home Depot "World's Hottest Hab" (poss. fatalii), and my Wife's two jalaps and one habanero...only one of the plants, a jalap, looks healthy. She also just picked me up a few varieties from a local middle eastern store: Mohawk (???), Yolo World Bell, Cheyenne, and a Chenzo. Further, I just bought another round of 6 plants: Yellow Bhut, Choco Bhut, Aji Panca, Malaysian Goronong, Jamaican Yellow Mushroom, and what I hope is a true Moruga (my seedlings might be brain strains). I also have a cayenne and a few anaheim seedlings rooting.

Got some wonderful seeds from SocalChilehead. I don't think I am going to sprout any more this year. Next year's grow is already being planned. Plenty of superhot and other varieties from purchased pods (thanks Biscgolf, Pepperlover.com, and BakersPeppers.com, SocalChilehead), plus other unusual varieties. Mention to Orozcoconleche for some seeds. Waiting for them to sprout. :)

Now I am waiting for pods, darn it!

Seriously, thanks for all the help everyone, especially SocalChilehead (Fernando).

BTW, my car is like a Chili Pepper...haven't been to the track for over a year. Need to finish my move, sell my other house and finish my remodel here. Moved form San Diego.

No problem man that great about the plants recovery, but through this heat you might be facing the same thing until the weather dies down I decided to use a shade cloth this week to protect the plants and pods from any sun damage or soil drying out fast. That great news about the seedlings progressing soon they will become bushes filled with pods. I am with you I am also planning for next year not as big but different superhots. Awesome video btw

No problem man that great about the plants recovery, but through this heat you might be facing the same thing until the weather dies down I decided to use a shade cloth this week to protect the plants and pods from any sun damage or soil drying out fast. That great news about the seedlings progressing soon they will become bushes filled with pods. I am with you I am also planning for next year not as big but different superhots. Awesome video btw

You have been awesome help. That vid was Auto Club in Fontana. Here are a couple more:

Willow Springs (best video'd time, but I've done one second faster):

Buttonwillow 13cw:

Saturday update:

Aphids: I was watering last night and saw a bunch of ants on my wife's okra plants. Looked under a leaf and TONS of aphids and ants. All four plants were infested. Had to resort to the permethrin. Gone this morning. At least they never got to my peppers.

With that out of the way, this past week I ordered a few more plants from Refining Fire Chiles:

Aji Panca
Malaysian Goronong
Yellow Bhut
Chocolate Bhut
Moruga
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom

In addition, my wife had picked me up four plants from a Middle Eastern market in San Diego:

Mohawk
Chenzo
Cheyenne
Thai Dragon

All of the above have been transplanted and seem to be doing OK, except the Cheyenne and maybe the Thai Dragon. She had them outside at our old house in San Diego and something got to the Cheyenne. When I got it, it was a stalk with three peppers and no foliage. Oh well, cut off the peppers and transplanted the stalk and we'll see if it comes back. Discussion of the Thai Dragon towards the end.

A few weeks ago I sent member OROZCONLECHE some Primo seeds he was looking for. In return, he sent me some seeds for Chinese 5-color, Datil, Aji Dulce, Marble, and Bird Eye. So far, I have sprouts from the first four. Thanks! I put Primo seeds in starter mix at the same time, but no love from them yet. I hope they germinate for him. If not, I have some ideas to compensate him.

SocalChilehead was also kind enough to send me seeds for Rocoto, Assam, and Golden Cayenne. I'm saving these for next season. I have too much growing at the current time! Thanks, Fernando! I hope you don't mind me saving them until next year. I'm looking forward to growing them, especially the Rocoto.

So, in addition to the above, I still have the other six plants I got from Refining Fire Chiles: Douglah, Yucatan White Hab, Fatalii, Black Naga, Black Hab, and Peter. They seem to have gotten over my first experience with transplanting and are budding flowers and new growth.

The Bonnie "World's Hottest Habanero" is recovering from the sun scald and starting to flower.

"1 1/2" of my Wife's three plants are doing well. One of the Jalapenos is starting to take off. The other Jalapeno is a T-shaped twig with three leaves, and has been like that for a few weeks. Her Habanero is the "1/2" mentioned. It looks yellow, but is putting out flowers. Her zucchini and okra are doing great.

Sprouts from the beginning of my Glog are taking off: Bhut, Brain, Douglah, Butch T, (?) Moruga, and newer Barrackpore. Most have their third true leaves and one of the Bhut's is getting its fourth! It amazes me that it was just a month ago I put the seeds in starter mix. Never got germination from the Jonah or the Impact F-1.

Also sprouted a couple of Anaheims from a store-bought pepper just for grins.

To summarize, current grow list:

PURCHASHED PLANTS:
Aji Panca
Malaysian Goronong
Yellow Bhut
Chocolate Bhut
Moruga
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom
Mohawk
Chenzo
Cheyenne
Cayenne
Thai Dragon
Douglah
Yucatan White Hab
Fatalii
Black Naga
Black Hab
Peter
Bonnie "World's Hottest Habanero"
Jalapeno (Wife's)
Habanero (Wife's)
FROM SEED:
Bhut
Brain
Butch T
Barrackpore
Anaheim
Chinese 5-color
Datil
Aji Dulce
Marble
Primo (no germ yet)
Bird Eye (no germ yet)

Wow, I just counted...28 (30 if you count the ones that haven't germinated yet). To think I started with three. This hobby is really addicting.

No more sprouting for this year. Its already August. I'm already planning next year's grow. Looking forward to it, and hopefully it will be more organized and seeds will be started MUCH earlier in the year.

Photos:

Runts (Bhut, Douglah, Butch T, Anaheim, Barrackpore, Brain, ?Moruga, Cayenne) in no particular order:

runts.jpg

Backup Runts, and new sprouts (Datil, Aji Dulce, Chinese 5-color, Marble):

backuprunts.jpg

Bhut just starting his 4th set of true leaves:

bhut4.jpg

Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab":

Bonnie.jpg

Wife's Jal-Hab-Jal:

wifey.jpg

Munched Cheyenne:

Cheyenne.jpg

Group 1 (Back row L to R - Mohawk, Peter, Fatalii, Black Naga; Front row - Chenzo, Black Hab, White Hab, Douglah):

groupone.jpg

Group 2 (Back L to R - Yellow Bhut, Moruga, Choco Bhut; Front - Goronong, Aji Panca, Jamaican Yellow):

group2.jpg

Thai Dragon kind of surprised me this morning. Dropped a bunch of yellow leaves. Putting it in the shade for a few days to see what happens:

thai.jpg

First small harvest (Thai Dragon, Yucatan White Hab (most green), and Chenzo):

firstharvest.jpg

I ate half of the larger white hab...wow! Definite firecracker.

I'll post some flower and early pod shots after a bump.

Thanks for looking.

Brent

Its been a while since i got to check out your grow but you are doing great! Grow on my friend!

Lucas

Thanks for stopping in, Lucas. Appreciate the goodwill.

Here are some flower and early pod shots:

Black Hab:

blackhabflow.jpg

Chocolate Bhut:

cbflower.jpg

Malaysian Goronong:

goropod.jpg

Jamaican Yellow Mushroom:

jamyelpod.jpg

Mohawk:

mopod.jpg

Chenzo:

chenpod.jpg

And finally, a Yellow Bhut Pod:

ybpod.jpg

That's all for now. Good growing to you all.

Hey Brent don't worry about not using the seeds I gave them to you so use how you want. That list expansion always happens to me and everyone on here. That sucks about the plant munched on OROZCONLECHE is having the same problem, but I also noticed some of the leaves are nibbled on that could be from grasshoppers I had that issue last year.Nice harvest and plants look great with buds and flowers. Great job

I feel your pain about the list o' seeds. It's too easy to
overload :rolleyes: and wind up with too many plants! I have
over 50 going, and sometimes I feel like all I do is water
plants not on my irrigation system. That's a great list,
in any case!

Thanks all for taking a look. I'm pretty happy where this is going.

Hey Brent don't worry about not using the seeds I gave them to you so use how you want. That list expansion always happens to me and everyone on here. That sucks about the plant munched on OROZCONLECHE is having the same problem, but I also noticed some of the leaves are nibbled on that could be from grasshoppers I had that issue last year.Nice harvest and plants look great with buds and flowers. Great job

Thanks, Fernando. Like I said, those seeds are definitely on the list for next year. Looking forward to some rocoto poppers! Regarding the list expansion, yeah, its addicting, alright. I saw OROZ's thread. Yeah, not sure what it was, but it was in San Diego, not here in Grand Terrace. Funny thing is that whatever it was left the Chenzo, Mohawk, and Thai Dragon alone, as they were all next to one another. I noticed the leaves too. Haven't seen any grasshoppers, but we have tons of crickets. I understand they love pepper plants. When I sprayed the aphids for my wife, I sprayed the perimeter of my plants, as well. We'll see.

That's a great grow list! I always end up buying five times as many as I actually have room for, but window shopping is fun too :P

Thanks, Stefan. Agreed about the exponential expansion. Next year I'll probably have more varieties, some hopefully overwintered, but I'll probably start fewer overall seeds, now that I have an idea how to do it. It's definitely been trial and error. Window shopping can be dangerous. :party:

I feel your pain about the list o' seeds. It's too easy to
overload :rolleyes: and wind up with too many plants! I have
over 50 going, and sometimes I feel like all I do is water
plants not on my irrigation system. That's a great list,
in any case!

Thanks, Paul. I'm pretty satisfied with the list and I'll be even more satisfied if I actually get peppers from all of them, especially from my original sprouts. Fortunately it's not pain. I'm really loving this right now. It's all too new to be a bother...yet. For now, it's kind of a peaceful break from the daily grind.

Brent

Back