• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Does anybody grow ______?

Omri said:
The largest one I've seen was about 7.5 meters (24.6 feet), and according to some people I know, they even get to 10 meters (32.8 feet). so yeah... they get pretty big.
mmmm... fresh figs! :) do you know what's even better? fig jam! :drooling:
I got laughed at this morning when i put hot sauce on a fresh fig. next time i make hot sauce, it will have a fig in it for sure!

fineexampl said:
I got laughed at this morning when i put hot sauce on a fresh fig. next time i make hot sauce, it will have a fig in it for sure!
A fig would go amazingly well with fruity or veggy sauces.

fineexampl said:

That actually sounds really interesting. Also, I've been given that look for putting hab powder on my corn on the cob as well:lol:

Omri said:
A fig would go amazingly well with fruity or veggy sauces.
i'm glad someone agrees. i can "visualize" the flavor in my mind after tasting the hab/fig combo and it's totally doable. mark my words; Figanero sauce coming...someday!

rabbit said:
That actually sounds really interesting. Also, I've been given that look for putting hab powder on my corn on the cob as well:lol:
I've been saving a bottle of Death Rain BBQ and a bottle a chocolate chili powder for just such an occasion.

Guys, I just double checked and wanted to correct myself - you do NOT need a male and female blueberry bush to get berries. Like peppers, they self pollinate. I was confused because I have 1 blueberry bush that never puts on berries, so I guessed he was the male. But I just went outside to check on the garden - and he's got some berries this year!

So, I stand corrected. By myself.

fineexampl said:
:lol: Cool! Less space to take up. More room for peppers.

Hey, lots of blueberries aren't bad either. I can eat stawberries, blueberries, and cherries like they are going out of style. My wife and I ate a bag and a half of cherries in two days!:shocked: If there's blueberries those are my favorite.:) However, if I was limited on space it would be peppers:lol:

I grow some giant purple raspberries but I'll have to relocate them soon since they are taking up a chunk of good real-estate in my garden. I had to get rid of my strawberries too for the same reason, now I just grow a few in hanging baskets.

I've got 5 blueberry bushes and all fruit. :)

I find strawberries are the easiest berry to grow... and they taste so much better then the store bought stuff.

I used to grow figs, or I should say I tried to grow figs for 3 years. The first year both of the trees I bought died (they were about 4' tall each). The second year I bought 2 more that were about 4' tall... I covered them and wrapped them during winter and they survived but then the nest summer I went away for a 10 day biz trip and came home to a hot spell... both trees dead. It's too bad because my uncles father keeps a fig tree in his greenhouse and the figs are amazing.

All I need to do is convince my wife a greenhouse is not an eyesore... lol

Omri said:
the only problem is the adult plant attracts fruit bats. damn bats...
And what is the problem with bats? They just kill a lot of weird insects and fu**** mosquitos!
I love bats.......but maybe its a problem related my comics passion :lol:

Ahem just to come back in topic.... Figs are really noproblem growing plant (specially in south italy) and the fruits are so sweet! I have no idea about a blueberry bush sorry!

mammoccio said:
And what is the problem with bats? They just kill a lot of weird insects and fu**** mosquitos!
I love bats.......but maybe its a problem related my comics passion :lol:

Ahem just to come back in topic.... Figs are really noproblem growing plant (specially in south italy) and the fruits are so sweet! I have no idea about a blueberry bush sorry!
Nah, not the fruit bats. they'll just eat ya figs. :(
What I really like about figs is the fact they grow wild here. just half an hour drive east and you see dozens of ancient ones. massive trees.

Back